Dapol announce 14xx/48xx/58xx in O.

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium

The inside valve gear looks effective, it's not operational but you can't tell when the model is static!. Yet another stunning bargain from Dapol. 

Dava

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, fezza said:

Originally set for Q4 2018! I have long realised that Dapol delivery dates are worthless predictions of intention. 

Looks good though.. 

My understanding is the fourth quarter of the year ends on the 31st December so have a release date that is carried over to the January/March of the following year is hardly the end of the world, is it? 

You could always build one from a kit if the potential six month wait is too much..........

There are many other manufacturers who provide 'worthless predictions of intentions'.

Posts like yours Fezza, add nothing to the thread. Perhaps a photo of either your kit built example you build in the meantime or the Dapol example you wait to purchase would be more appropriate. 

Rob. 

• Agree 4

7 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

My understanding is the fourth quarter of the year ends on the 31st December so have a release date that is carried over to the January/March of the following year is hardly the end of the world, is it? 

You could always build one from a kit if the potential six month wait is too much..........

There are many other manufacturers who provide 'worthless predictions of intentions'.

Posts like yours Fezza, add nothing to the thread. Perhaps a photo of either your kit built example you build in the meantime or the Dapol example you wait to purchase would be more appropriate. 

Rob. 

They originally said last year - 2018 Q4 - check the original publicity. 

Anyone who had been waiting for the N gauge 142 for ten years knows what I am talking about. 

I'm not going to rise to the other comment. 

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, fezza said:

They originally said last year - 2018 Q4 - check the original publicity. 

Anyone who had been waiting for the N gauge 142 for ten years knows what I am talking about. 

I'm not going to rise to the other comment. 

I got that wrong didn't I? 

However, these days, does it matter? 

But, using terms such as 'worthless predictions of intentions ' adds nothing to the thread. 

Dapol would be slated if an inaccurate model was rushed out by the factory. 

Move on. 

Rob. 

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

I got that wrong didn't I? 

However, these days, does it matter? 

But, using terms such as 'worthless predictions of intentions ' adds nothing to the thread. 

Dapol would be slated if an inaccurate model was rushed out by the factory. 

Move on. 

Rob. 

You mean like the Dapol n gauge 142 that was both ten years' late and absolutely awful? 

The only way we will get better models is if we press manufacturers to uphold promises and call them out when they don't. As I said this looks good so far but I suspect the premature announcement of this model's arrival was more about warning off an obvious competitor than a realistic statement of intent to produce within the timetale indicated. 

Why are Dapol's delivery times so much slower than a relatively inexperienced new market entrant? Surely it is a legitimate question even if you don't like the answer? 

Edited by fezza
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
52 minutes ago, fezza said:

Why are Dapol's delivery times so much slower than a relatively inexperienced new market entrant? Surely it is a legitimate question even if you don't like the answer? 

It is clearly a matter of regret, if anyone is going to be seriously inconvenienced by the apparent late arrival of this model.

If it runs as well as it looks, I'll happily wait longer.

Just wish the 4mm version had run as well as it looked.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

3 hours ago, fezza said:

You mean like the Dapol n gauge 142 that was both ten years' late and absolutely awful? 

Absolutely awful?  YOUR opinion and that of a few vocal others on this forum.  My experience is that when a model looks like what it represents when standing on a layout and runs well then it is nothing like awful.  Like MOST new models it doesn't stand magnification to five times real size, but my experience is that it looks OK on the layout (and repainting a red wire is a minor price to pay to get a class that nobody else was prepared to touch) and it runs quietly and well, being no more track sensitive than a goodly few other offerings from more than two manufacturers.

Pardon my cynicism but I have spent a weekend at an exhibition continually battling with a rake of highly praised wagons that refuse in practice to stay coupled to each other and to anything else for that matter- but it is only my opinion that I wasted over £100 on them.....

Les

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, woodenhead said:

Yours does now though 

Mine ran (and still does) perfect straight from the box, I must admit I was puzzled by all the criticism of this model, but hey ho I suppose there are a few good ones around :D

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

Mine ran (and still does) perfect straight from the box, I must admit I was puzzled by all the criticism of this model, but hey ho I suppose there are a few good ones around :D

I had three in total before I gave up on finding one which would run. 

I think we have a  better chance with the big one from Dapol. 

Edited by NHY 581
typing with hooves
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

So how is the Dapol n gauge 142 relevant to the O gauge 14xx?

The Dapol O gauge locos have been very well received: the 08, Terrier, Jinty, 57xx Pannier so far. Yes the first couple were delayed thanks to Mr Jones. Any NQP can be bought for $150 at a show. Quality is excellent as is value for money. They have created a completely new market in O gauge. 

There is a stream of new releases planned, I'm just waiting for the Y1/Y3 Sentinel, just a few months later than expected....as is almost every gauge O RTR loco.

Dava

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

1 hour ago, GNR Dave said:

Wires crossed here I think. The N Gauge 142 was brought up in relation to Dapol delays in production. The bad / non running issue was I think a reference to the OO gauge 14xx done by Dapol for Hattons.

Back to the O gauge 14xx now ? 

Errr......correction Dave.....the OO gauge 14xx produced for Hattons to which you refer was done by DJM not Dapol.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Jamie24 said:

Does anyone know the paint finishes on these yet? I have the O gauge pannier from Dapol and it is a nice gloss finish, all these samples so far look a dull matt finish..?

I would expect these to come out with the usual plastic bodied dull matt finish. Please tell me if I’m wrong, but I think the only gloss finish Dapol Locos are the ex-Lionheart metal bodied 64xx/74xx Panniers. I wish they were all metal bodied largely because of this alone.

• RMweb Premium

Lightly sanding with very fine wet and dry (2000 grade) used wet in a gentle circular motion to flatten the paint and then buffing with kitchen roll can get a nice metal looking sheen on painted plastic.

The rougher dull finish remaining around rivet detail then "holds" any weathering better as well. 

The method came from, and is described better by, Giles as Simon has correctly pointed out below. I don't have an example of Dapol but this Heljan loco started off in typical flat factory finish.  

post-7225-0-08526700-1542107887_thumb.jpg

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I did ask about the O gauge signals, again they should be with us by Xmas.

One nice feature of the 14xx etc is the fitting of a sound chip and speakers is all going to be plug and play, no soldering required. Just removed the smokebox door, slide out the PCB and plug in the chip etc. Very neat.

Cheers, Ade.

• Informative/Useful 1