Dapol announce 14xx/48xx/58xx in O.

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Adrian Stevenson said:

:D Rule 1.

But seriously, "Papyrus" is more for the garden line which is being started next year. 

Cheers, Ade.

After building that magnificent 'shed', have you got any garden left . . ?

Mike

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

I hadn't noticed before but in the test samples there is no auto control box on the buffer beams. I was hoping the 58xx versions might offer alternative livery/topfeed combinations to the 14xx but it would probably make economic sense if they are exactly the same, just with different numbers. 

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, Adrian Stevenson said:

Hi Hal, have a look at Tower's website. They do differ in topfeeds:

http://www.tower-models.com/

Cheers, Ade.

Thanks. I wasn't sure how conclusive Tower is as doesn't mention topfeeds on any of the 58xx and no pictures. However I see Hattons have depicted the black 58xx without one, so I might be in luck! I'm looking to do 1419 from St Blazey which I dont think left Cornwall very often, let alone getting any upgrades!

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Like 1

On 10/11/2019 at 23:41, Hal Nail said:

I hadn't noticed before but in the test samples there is no auto control box on the buffer beams. I was hoping the 58xx versions might offer alternative livery/topfeed combinations to the 14xx but it would probably make economic sense if they are exactly the same, just with different numbers. 

This is the response I Received from Dapol on their Facebook page when asked the question.

20191114_144534.jpg

20191114_144547.jpg

20191114_144602.jpg

Edited by Bowie
Grammer
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Bowie said:

This is the response I Received from Dapol on their Facebook page when asked the question.

20191114_144534.jpg

20191114_144547.jpg

20191114_144602.jpg

Thanks. I suspected that was the case as the 64xx doesn't have them either. Warren Shephard sells them (as I'm sure do others) and I prefer his vacuum and steam pipes so will swap them as well. Easier for BR modellers to correct as you can repaint the whole buffer beam if necessary.

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Informative/Useful 1

39 minutes ago, Miss Prism said:

I think Hal was referring to the Lionheart/Dapol 64xx models missing the Boxes on the beams.

Which is a shame as the locos were designed mainly for hauling Auto-Trailers.

Hopefully I can mix/find the Dapol buffer beam red. The loco is going to be lightly weathered so hopefully I can be subtle enough...

• Agree 1

20 minutes ago, Bowie said:

I think Hal was referring to the Lionheart/Dapol 64xx models missing the Boxes on the beams.

Ah, ok. My misunderstanding.

Btw, they are covers, not boxes. I'm not sure when the covers started to be fitted. The first 48xx engines did not have them when first outshopped, so the first 64xx and 54xx engines might not have had them either.

1 hour ago, Miss Prism said:

Ah, ok. My misunderstanding.

Btw, they are covers, not boxes. I'm not sure when the covers started to be fitted. The first 48xx engines did not have them when first outshopped, so the first 64xx and 54xx engines might not have had them either.

Had a quick look at 'A pictorial record of Great Western Engines', Peto's Register & Lewis' Auto-Trailers.

The covers are post 1938 (After my pre-war period of 1934-35).

So my reasoning is the covers started during the war. Maybe when Top-Feed was starting to be introduced to the class in '44 as there's a picture of 4869 in Peto's Ex-Works dated the 29th May 1946 with GWR on the tanks with the covers on.

It's the only photo I could find in the war years gap after a quick search. Maybe it became standard in the re-numbering period during the 3 month's of '46.

Only guessing,

Anyway it'll be much easier fitting brass wires to the spot and hopefully get away without having to paint the red, also smaller too.

I'll probably pick up the Heljan AEC Railcar for the WR-Era.

Edited by Bowie

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I hadn't spotted this on Tower before:

These are now in production and should hopefully be completed in China in December. If Dapol decide to fly them in they could be here late December 2019 or January 2020 if they sea freight them here.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, fezza said:

Over a year late and another "before Christmas" deadline missed... Oh well, they do look good so something to look forward to in January. 

Not exactly a disaster of biblical proportions though, is it? 

Rob. 

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Not exactly a disaster of biblical proportions though, is it? 

I always felt the whole Noah chapter could have been vastly improved with some anecdotes about supply chain issues, a militant workforce and the inevitable cost over-runs.

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 3

I'm glad Miss Prism posted the pannier pic showing the Auto box.  It is the first time I have seen it.  Next obvious question (in my fevered mind anyway) is what does the gubbins under the cover look like?

If the 14/48XX model doesn't have this, I will have to make it.

John

2 hours ago, brossard said:

I'm glad Miss Prism posted the pannier pic showing the Auto box.  It is the first time I have seen it.  Next obvious question (in my fevered mind anyway) is what does the gubbins under the cover look like?

5572-auto-gear-mike-wiltshire-cropped.jpg.5bd9730aa9db1999fa0420d61d168ee0.jpg

(pic courtesy of Milk Wiltshire)

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, markjj said:

I have plenty more taken around this loco inside and out if you want to check anything else....

Very good! Do you by any chance have any of the loco connected to the trailer showing exactly what joins to what?