Dapol announce 14xx/48xx/58xx in O.

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Henk Visscher said:

Just next to the lost brain cells!

I don’t think they are lost, I believe the people who are stock piling or over buying toilet rolls are just trading their brain cells in exchange, they’ll never get them back :rolleyes:

I think I lost some brain cells too. Because I can't find any reason why somebody writes about those toilet rolls. Is it because I am from the Netherlands, or what? The only thing I know is the lost of some of my dear friends too the bloody virus. But, I didn't wrote about that because this isn't the place for it. So, offend someone else, mr. David. Or better, don't offend anybody on the forum, get a life!

Any news about the Dapol Class 48xx?

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Henk Visscher said:

Any news about the Dapol Class 48xx?

Once they come out next week would be good if people could post their thoughts. I dont like preordering as there have been plenty of examples of new releases with issues but I suspect these wont hang around for too long.

I’ve been inactive for a few years, but the 14xx is enough to reboot my enthusiasm.  A small branchline terminus in Devon or eastern Cornwall with a pair of 14xxes, an Autocoach and a few wagons is inspiring, with the goal of building a small layout for exhibition.

I’ve been waffling over what version (or versions) to purchase, I generally use Hattons because of their wonderful service shipping to here.  One of their representatives emailed me this morning in response to a question and mentioned these are expected to start shipping to customers Wednesday 18th March.

Hopefully Narrow Planet will offer number plates for these, because I ended up ordering one numbered and one unnumbered.

• RMweb Premium
48 minutes ago, HeavyDuty said:

Hopefully Narrow Planet will offer number plates for these, because I ended up ordering one numbered and one unnumbered.

when you order you can get them to custom size them - I've had several smokebox plates done to specified length and height to fit other models. As they come I think their smokebox plate numbers are a bit on the small size personally. 

The standard cabside plates are fractionally smaller than Dapols moulded surround on the Pannier but they were talking about sharing info on this one.

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

Once they come out next week would be good if people could post their thoughts. I dont like preordering as there have been plenty of examples of new releases with issues but I suspect these wont hang around for too long.

I think you are right, I preordered the 48xx more then a year ago. But, the loco still isn't there. Two weeks ago I bought a Sentinel for €169,- in Germany. In the UK you even can get it for £119,-. And the Heljan Class 61xx allready for £398,-, about 40% less. So, did I made a very bright dessision? Think not!

But, my Narrow Planet headboard came last friday. And I cannot wait to glue it on!

IMG_20200314_180912.jpg

• Like 1

On 13/04/2019 at 03:06, cornelius said:

Certainly happy to discuss a plate designed to fit if you can supply the exact size inside the moulded beading.

info@narrowplanet.co.uk

Cheers, Stephen

On 13/04/2019 at 03:19, coeurdelyon said:

Hi Stephen, OK, sounds like a plan, will be in contact later next week. Thank you

Regards, Richard

Did anything further come of this, please?

9 hours ago, dpgibbons said:

Hattons email says they are expecting delivery on or after today.

Got the email too and on the Tower website they say today will be tomorrow. What is a day more in a people’s life! I hope it can and will be sent over to the European mainland because a lot of European borders are closed allready.

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Welsh Signaller said:

Dapol Collectors Club 1401 arrived today, it’s a cracking little model praise where it’s due.

Are the gwr "patches" slightly raised? Apart from them that's the perfect base for mine but might still be easier to add auto gear to a black 58

Ta

Edited by Hal Nail

My 48xx arrived from Tower Models this morning - their usual excellent service. Also happy to see how well Dapol have packaged/boxed this loco, it being screwed into a plastic frame before boxing . Runs v well indeed and looks lovely.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Lovely model, I went for the Titfield Thunderbolt edition :)

I’m not so keen on the packing for subsequent reuse though. It’s certainly protected it well from shipping damage so well done Dapol but I’ll have to cut up a few foam bits to wedge it in as regularly handling it to screw it back in every time is more likely to damage bits. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I've just ordered from Tower. Decided in the current climate I needed boost.

They said a few people have reported the couplings fall off (a Dapol trade mark?!) but nothing to worry about.

I've also bought a job lot of number plates on ebay - seems to be pretty much all of them bar a few. If they turn out to be a good fit I'll report on here and am happy to share ones I'm never likely to need for a nominal contribution. 

My pair of unnumbered black early BR ones shipped from Hattons... they needed to move me from RM to DHL due to parcel size.  I am on mandatory work from home, and DHL to my usual PO Box is problematic so I changed the shipping address to the house.  I expect to see them Monday or Tuesday.