Dapol announce 14xx/48xx/58xx in O.

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 21C123 said:

What sort of DCC socket is fitted ?

21 pin according to the box and slip inside. 

Runs beautifully and as you can see the Titfield edition patches are flat. 
F11D6A94-94A0-4715-AF1C-6D42516EC51D.jpeg.203a9f681507114e81494260dd65bd0c.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

It's not very illuminating, but the link here illustrates the slide-out pcb with speakers underneath. According to the Hornby Mag review, a pair of 15x11mm sugarcube speakers clip in to enclosures under the pcb with no soldering required. Their review model - presumably the factory spec - used a Zimo MX644 decoder with a custom sound set. Hopefully we'll soon know what third party options will fit and if there is room for larger speakers and stay-alives. 

Edited by dpgibbons
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, two tone green said:

Any photos please especially of the DCC socket and place for a speaker. Thanks. 

This is the instructions so you should be able to gauge size from the speakers. 

45082534-9A67-42CF-B84D-FE7BFFA2AA71.jpeg.78138ab41398a6ab8116a25bf884f494.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Dreadnought05 said:

Looking to get #1426, is it correct to have no topfeed with later emblem?

Do you mean specifically that loco or generally?

1426 was a Slough loco till the late 50s and worked the West Ealing to Greenford branch (where I live) but was still black no top feed then. I havent seen photos of it after that.

Essential to check photos if you are bothered: rail-online is very good and has many of the class. Some never got repainted green at all and top feed (and tool box positions) could change on the same loco even into the 60s.

If you arent worried at a loco by loco level then in BR days any form is reasonable!

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Thanks 1

Hi, Number 1426 had a major overhaul at Caerphilly works in April 1960 when a non top feed boiler was fitted and then repainted in B.R. lined green livery with late crest.

Many thanks for the comments regarding the models, I believe this is the first mass produced RTR model to be produced with a fully compensated chassis to improve track holding and electrical pick-up. Also we wanted models to be well protected whilst in transit so pleased to hear that you like the new packaging.

Kind Regards to all,

Richard

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, Miss Prism said:

What was a typical boiler-swap interval for a 14xx?  3 years?  I don't suppose they did much mileage.

Its amazing how it builds up:

Lostwithiel to Fowey and back is only c15 miles

Assume 10 trips (including to and from St Blazey) say 5 days a week for 25 years. 

That would be about 1 million miles for 1419!

seems ridiculous - have i done something wrong there?

That's 40k miles p.a. An express loco, and some of them did 2 million miles in a lifetime (say 30 years) works out to be approx 70k miles p.a., and we know express locos were usually in the shops for a boiler swap every 2 years or so. These figures are general of course, and I accept comparing an 0-4-2T and a big 4-6-0 is a bit chalk and cheese, but that's how I got to a wild guess of a 3-year boiler swap interval for the small loco. Someone educate me.

• RMweb Premium

Just received my 58xx in early black livery. First impressions is of a good model which captures the locomotive very well. Having build a springside version in the 80s, where the kit alone cost £150, l think this current model is excellent value, so well do Dapol. 

My only issue has been in my case when l opened the new packaging, l found a couple of the small black mounting screws rattling around the box. Looking at the model, it seems that these screws have chipped away small pieces of paint on the wheel sets and footplate edge. Not the end of the world as a quick touch in was all that was need to put things right.

Unfortunately l noticed a mark/scratch on the LHS  of the boiler  next to the front of the side tank. As l was not intending to weather this model, it will be difficult to hide. As l mentioned l suspect that a rogue screw could be the culprit, but l would be very interested if anyone else finds a similar mark on their model, see photo attached?

Bob C

IMG_20200320_142515.jpg

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Blobrick said:

Just received my 58xx in early black livery. First impressions is of a good model which captures the locomotive very well. Having build a springside version in the 80s, where the kit alone cost £150, l think this current model is excellent value, so well do Dapol. 

My only issue has been in my case when l opened the new packaging, l found a couple of the small black mounting screws rattling around the box. Looking at the model, it seems that these screws have chipped away small pieces of paint on the wheel sets and footplate edge. Not the end of the world as a quick touch in was all that was need to put things right.

Unfortunately l noticed a mark/scratch on the LHS  of the boiler  next to the front of the side tank. As l was not intending to weather this model, it will be difficult to hide. As l mentioned l suspect that a rogue screw could be the culprit, but l would be very interested if anyone else finds a similar mark on their model, see photo attached?

Bob C

IMG_20200320_142515.jpg

There are of course those that cannot but perhaps a good advert for supporting your local shop where you are able to inspect prior to purchase. 

I'm lucky in that I have Lord and Butler as my local emporium. 

Rob. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Blobrick said:

Bob C

IMG_20200320_142515.jpg

If your careful and very localised with a cotton bud and some T-Cut it should hide the worst of the scratch.

• RMweb Premium
41 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

If your careful and very localised with a cotton bud and some T-Cut it should hide the worst of the scratch.

I had thought of that but though that T-Cut would leave a polished finish?. 

TBH l ve already contacted the supplier and the model with be going back.  Shame as this is a lovely model, l can't stop admiring it

Bob C

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Blobrick said:

I had thought of that but though that T-Cut would leave a polished finish?. 

TBH l ve already contacted the supplier and the model with be going back.  Shame as this is a lovely model, l can't stop admiring it

Bob C

I suppose it depends upon the finish already on the model, it looked like a satin gloss, but if more matt then something a little more coarse used very carefully?

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

I suppose it depends upon the finish already on the model, it looked like a satin gloss, but if more matt then something a little more coarse used very carefully?

Thanks, l appreciate the advice, l was in two minds just to touch up but TBH, l think l ll find more damage/scratches if l take a closer look  in daylight tomorrow,so back it goes. I was just curious if anyone else had found similar damage?

Bob C

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, coeurdelyon said:

Hi, Actually 1426 covered 755,005 miles before being withdrawn and had 10 boiler exchanges during its lifetime of 39 years

Best, Richard

I thought my fag packet 1m number seemed a bit high. Is there a widely available data source for this stuff then? I've heard of "Peto" recording livery changes.