Dapol announce 14xx/48xx/58xx in O.

Andy Y

Hi Hal,

Yes you are correct Peto's register details locomotive sheds, repairs, etc.

I rechecked last night and I made another era regarding boiler exchanges, 1426 had FIVE boiler changes over the 29 years not ten which was the number of times of recorded repairs. 1426 last boiler exchange was July 1958 at 671,573 miles.

It appears that four or five seems the average number of boiler changes for the 4800/1400 class and 5800 class.

Also Peto states 'spares for the class were reconditioned boilers from 517 class locomotives and were not, therefore brand new'

Peto's Register is a wonderful book describing the 4800/1400 class and 5800 class 0-4-2 locomotives, with many sharp images of the class at different periods and full of technical information, I recommend this book if you can obtain one.

Best, Richard

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, Ressaldar said:

What size IceCube speakers especially depth, can be accommodated in the speaker trays and how are they then wired to the corresponding tabs on the decoder?

regards

Mike

The sugar cube speaker referred to is the standard size, there is only one, this doesn’t include the variety of enclosures used with them which is where the usual habit of referring to speaker combined with enclosure as the ‘Sugar cube speaker’ is confusing. 

The spring contacts on the speaker directly touch the circuit board. The instructions tell you to pop it in the enclosure with contacts upward, (facing out of the enclosure), then attach the enclosure to the pcb. 

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Just received 5819, ordered from Tower at 5.15pm last night (normal free post)!

I have a Masterpiece one and in all honesty the Dapol is better - I'll even be upgrading the Masterpiece smokebox door with a Dapol spare.

I will add my usual Warren Shepherd pipes and add auto gear and plates for 1419 and apart from that the only mod I might do is the cab glazing and even then its pretty good for plastic.

Staggeringly good value.

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

6A6B0F9F-42F2-47AF-9BED-21307020AD56.jpeg.8763f82b812f6b365a2e1a6d9e7097a3.jpeg

This shows the speaker with the two tiny spring contacts on the top. 

2A953D0A-2E27-44F8-AAE9-DC1E7C30B2A0.jpeg.e378ff0a03fb7980364ea0e31f53d4e1.jpeg

32 minutes ago, Ressaldar said:

how are they then wired to the corresponding tabs on the decoder?

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 1

It is clearly not the best, but is robust and not too expensive. From a distance it looks fine, although at that scale the sleepers look very regular, a problem with all set track. Up close the it looks very lightweight, the sleepers don't appear to be very deep. But bear in mind it is only supposed to represent the surface of the sleepers, the rest should be buried in the ground.

After HO track the O gauge rails appear very thin and low prfoile, but that is probably just a consequence of the HO track being too chunky for it's scale.I think you are best off comparing it to the real thing rather thatn from a smaller scale.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Matabiau said:

It is clearly not the best, but is robust and not too expensive. From a distance it looks fine, although at that scale the sleepers look very regular, a problem with all set track. Up close the it looks very lightweight, the sleepers don't appear to be very deep. But bear in mind it is only supposed to represent the surface of the sleepers, the rest should be buried in the ground.

After HO track the O gauge rails appear very thin and low prfoile, but that is probably just a consequence of the HO track being too chunky for it's scale.I think you are best off comparing it to the real thing rather thatn from a smaller scale.

Thank you for the info, its certainly got me thinking

• RMweb Premium

By popular request we've added a variant of our custom GWR number plates specifically sized to fit in to the raised beading on Dapol locos.

https://shop.narrowplanet.co.uk/products/NPP-431

Many thanks to Dapol for providing the sizing information to enable this.

If you already have our regular custom GWR number plates on order and they are intended for a 14xx please get in touch by emailing info@narrowplanet.co.uk and we can switch your plates to this artwork size.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

11 hours ago, Matabiau said:

Arrived this morning and paired up straight away with its autocoach.

20200321_135452.jpg.1581c767fc34603b006ef33e471c6628.jpg

Looks great - I was going to stick with four wheel coaches on my settrack but the autocoach looks fine on tighter curves. Does it run okay? 

5 hours ago, fezza said:

Looks great - I was going to stick with four wheel coaches on my settrack but the autocoach looks fine on tighter curves. Does it run okay? 

On the 2nd radius curves the inside buffers are completely compressed and are very poorly aligned, there is about 1mm of contact. It wouldn't take much for the buffers to slip and interlock.

For me the biggest problem is the coupling hook on the loco not being sprung. That on the coach, and all Dapol wagons, is sprung and to compensate for the loco's lack of spring, is fully extended. Perhaps because of this the buffers don't slip despite the very small contact area.

In short this pairing (and all others I have tried with 08s, panniers and Jinty) run without problem on my loop. I don't know what would happen on a layout involving a combination of straight and curve sections, I can't be sure the lateral movement wouldn't provoke interlocking between buffers.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, fezza said:

I have run mine (well the original Lionheart set) on Atlas track in an oval and it runs fine being even tighter than PECO Setrack, but as above the buffers and couplings are a bit of a nightmare, if you had to use track that tight on a layout I think you’d have to work out some sort of fixed coupling for the stock.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Bartb said:

I recieved my 14xx on Friday, and guess what ? it's not working.  First loco I have ever had that is not working.  so will phone the shop up tomorrow about sending it back. So much for not going out. 

They are worth waiting for, they are smashing models.

• Like 1

These really look fantastic and an absolute steal at anything less than £200.  It will look great with my two Panniers any my E class.

My 58xx was ordered last Thursday but I have heard it has only just been dispatched (won't mention names) so I still haven't seen one live yet. It seems a bit churlish to complain in the current circumstances but messing around with small railways is one of the few pleasures left in these troubled times.  If anyone is in a hurry for one it might be worth asking when it will be sent when ordering.  I will probably go back to Tower in future as they seem most reliable.

Stay safe and do post some pictures / videos of these in action for those of us who don't have one yet!

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 21/03/2020 at 13:09, Matabiau said:

Arrived this morning and paired up straight away with its autocoach.

20200321_135452.jpg.1581c767fc34603b006ef33e471c6628.jpg

I want that autocoach in 4mm!!!

• Like 1