Dapol announce 14xx/48xx/58xx in O.

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium

Has anyone attempted to prise a cabside number off yet?

Had a quick go but it doesnt want to play.

Edit: cracked it: brand new blade, attack from bottom where less visible, prod point between plate and surround and lever until it pops off. Reminded of that chap who fainted cutting the queens diamond!

Can also confirm the replacements do need to be smaller than any of the various ones I have so narrow planet specials are the best bet, unless you fancy removing the moulded surround.

20200324_165003.jpg.0537cfb42f33f2433f909c355f7a157e.jpg

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Informative/Useful 2

Hi Hal,

The etched plate is fitted into a small recess the beading around is moulded to the cab and painted body colour, to remove the number plate you need to get a craft knife an place inside the beading to prize off.

I have attached a picture showing the moulded on beading

Hope that helps

Best Richard

cabside numberplate.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I recieved my 14xx on Friday, and guess what ? it's not working.  First loco I have ever had that is not working.  so will phone the shop up tomorrow about sending it back.

i recieved my replacement 14xx today, and it runs well. Thank you Tower models for such a quick service. Next thing is to try it out on my garden Railway.

• Like 3

On 19/03/2020 at 20:45, dpgibbons said:

It's not very illuminating, but the link here illustrates the slide-out pcb with speakers underneath. According to the Hornby Mag review, a pair of 15x11mm sugarcube speakers clip in to enclosures under the pcb with no soldering required. Their review model - presumably the factory spec - used a Zimo MX644 decoder with a custom sound set. Hopefully we'll soon know what third party options will fit and if there is room for larger speakers and stay-alives. 

I have fitted the MX644D to my 14xx along with a 330muf cap and an Ice Dual 28x18x7 mm speaker supplied by YouChoos. I reckon that you would get an 8mm speaker in attached with BlackTack or a 9mm if you use double sided tape. Not sure if you would get much more in in the way of stay alive.

Can put up a couple more pics if required.

Nick

DSCN1342.JPG

DSCN1347.JPG

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I have done the same but I think it would be possible to reduce the Dapol PCB to just the 21 pin socket and the end that plugs in to the loco. 

That would make space in the boiler for a deeper speaker and a decent stay alive.

I tried the Dapol method of two slim line sugar cubes but found that fitting the supplied gaskets was very fiddly and then I could not get one enclosure to sit properly so I abandoned that and went for the conventional soldered solution.

Norman

Regarding the stay alive capacitors, these would be very useful on a short 4 - coupled wheelbase locomotive and others that have rigid suspension to maintain smooth performance. The new Dapol 0-4-2 has been designed with a FULLY compensated chassis and sprung plunger pick-ups on all six wheels, to avoid the use of these capacitors. The new slide in PCB for decoder/speaker installation won an award last year at Warley for its invention, which we are very proud of, helping our customers to fit a DCC decoder for improved performance and sound fitting if required without the use of tools such as a soldering iron

Regards, Richard

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

On 22/03/2020 at 16:20, Bartb said:

I recieved my 14xx on Friday, and guess what ? it's not working.  First loco I have ever had that is not working.  so will phone the shop up tomorrow about sending it back. So much for not going out. 

My pair arrived last week, and while one runs beautifully the other ran poorly for a few inches and stopped. I looked for obvious issues such as an unseated PCB, but it appears to be an issue somewhere near the motor because the firebox light does work indicating power is being picked up.  I’m hesitant to pop it open to look for a loose wire, and because the running was rather poor initially I think it will need to make the long trip back across the ocean for replacement. 

They are truly gorgeous models!

13 hours ago, coeurdelyon said:

Regarding the stay alive capacitors, these would be very useful on a short 4 - coupled wheelbase locomotive and others that have rigid suspension to maintain smooth performance. The new Dapol 0-4-2 has been designed with a FULLY compensated chassis and sprung plunger pick-ups on all six wheels, to avoid the use of these capacitors. The new slide in PCB for decoder/speaker installation won an award last year at Warley for its invention, which we are very proud of, helping our customers to fit a DCC decoder for improved performance and sound fitting if required without the use of tools such as a soldering iron

Regards, Richard

Richard,

I wholly agree that a rigid 4-wheeler will need KA caps, but I don’t think it’s true to say that a compensated 6-wheeler would not benefit from them.

I am looking forward to seeing one in the flesh!

atb

Simon

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Could I ask a favour please of those of you who own one please? Would someone mind posting a photo of the chassis without the body on please? I have an idea forming but need to know what the chassis looks like I commit to buying one.

Thanks in advance :) 

On 30/03/2020 at 09:05, coeurdelyon said:

The new slide in PCB for decoder/speaker installation won an award last year at Warley for its invention, which we are very proud of,

And rightly so! It's absolutely great and I hope all future models will have similar easy-fit solutions!

I like to show how I did the installation with the Sugarcubes, as well as to show how totally easy the installation is thanks to Dapol's preparations. Installation of sound actually is a piece o' cake. No tools needed at all if you stick to just installing sound. I opted for the YouChoos sounds but I added their 17.000μF Super Capacitor which I value so much because of its lavish performance of 8-9 seconds additional power if power supply fails.

Dapol_Class14xx_201.jpg

Installation starts with opening of the smokebox door which is easy if you gently lever it from the hinge side. Don't try to open the door by means of the smokebox dart!

Dapol_Class14xx_202.jpg

Afterwards just pull out the PCB. Attention, I failed to do photos in time… the pictures show the state after changing the original Dapol PCB for the Zimo decoder.

Dapol_Class14xx_203.jpg

Dapol_Class14xx_204.jpg

The Next picture already shows the SuperCap on the left. But what I mainly want to show is that Dapol had a cool idea regarding the speaker housings. You just have to replace the original Zimo housings with the Dapol housings which are a clip-fit. Make sure that the spring contacts line up with the circuit paths on the underside of the main PCB.

The flat foam pad which I added to the upper side of the speaker is supplied by Dapol with the model and it prevents vibration.

Dapol_Class14xx_205.jpg

After sliding the PCB back into the boiler there's enough space for the SuperCap beneath the PCB - though mine struggled a bit which is why it's slightly askew.

Dapol_Class14xx_206.jpg

Dapol_Class14xx_207.jpg

Smokebox door back in place - ready for layout use!

The sound of the 2 Sugarcubes is full and loud and the YouChoos sounds are really great!

The whole installation process took about 10-12 minutes because I had to change the supplied 470μF capacitor for the 17,000μF SuperCap. If you don't have to solder the installation is a matter of 5 minutes I'm sure.

Dapol_Class14xx_208.jpg

• Informative/Useful 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Great description, looks such an easy install and rightly deserved the award.

One point I could never understand is the reason for fitting these “super caps” I have always just fitted the smallest but effective cap (and with Zimo the one that comes installed as standard) , after all they really are just for bridging a momentary failure of contact (and to be honest most dirty track contacts are milliseconds of running, and often countered by decent flywheel momentum but obviously this doesn’t negate the loss of sound often), fitting a capacitor that enables running for 5-15 seconds seems to me to be just a bit OTT, I always thought anything that bridges half a second contact is almost over the top anyway.

Just my view, not disagreeing with the fitment.

Edited by boxbrownie

But what I mainly want to show is that Dapol had a cool idea regarding the speaker housings. You just have to replace the original Zimo housings with the Dapol housings which are a clip-fit. Make sure that the spring contacts line up with the circuit paths on the underside of the main PCB.

Do you need to seal the speaker enclosures with sticky gaskets?