Dapol announce 14xx/48xx/58xx in O.

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium
34 minutes ago, dpgibbons said:

Do you need to seal the speaker enclosures with sticky gaskets?

All speakers enclosures should be sealed to get the best results.

Not sure how the Dapol version seals.....

4 hours ago, dpgibbons said:

Do you need to seal the speaker enclosures with sticky gaskets?

Dapol advises to seal it with the supplied gaskets. Anyway I didn't use those because after dividing the speakers from the original Zimo speaker housings there was enough foam left at the edges to seal it in the Dapol housings. I just added the foam pads on the back side to give it a tight fit when clipping onto the main PCB.

spacer.pngDapol_Class14xx_217.jpg[/img]

Edited by suomen
  • Informative/Useful 1

It is strange though that they put the speakers on the bottom when the sound wants to exit the body via the chimney. 

The plate that the decoder and speakers sits on in effect act as a baffle reducing the ability of the sound to escape. 

But a very clever installation. 

• RMweb Premium

I have friend* who is looking to get one of these 14xx for a minimum space 7mm layout. Does anyone have experience on whether or not one would get through an A5 or A5.5 turnout??

* Definitely not me :P

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
Just now, Simond said:

Chris, 

it’s ok, we’re all on your side here.  You don’t have to worry.  

Does your “friend” have a Cornish branchline terminus, by any chance...?

:)

Simon

Sadly not, he's currently straying far from the path of the righteous. :P

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

Just ordered my 14xx.

Ive gone for 1444. Ive gone for the normal DC version as I have a spare imperium decoder which is most likely what they are fitted with anyhow.

Thinking about sound decoders. Bearing in mind id have to use a 21 to 8 pin adaptor do you think a Hornby TTS decoder would fit? Im not after a 100% accurate soundfile just something that sounds like a steam loco. Ive used a Hornby TTS chip in a class 08 the only downside being not all the lights work. Obviously this isn't an issue with a steam loco.

15 hours ago, 2ManySpams said:

I have friend* who is looking to get one of these 14xx for a minimum space 7mm layout. Does anyone have experience on whether or not one would get through an A5 or A5.5 turnout??

* Definitely not me :P

Well mine runs through a 3'9" radius section of track without any problems so an A5 point should be fine!

Bill

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

My 14xx was a birthday present, so I have only just had an opportunity to play with it.  What a superb model, but what a frustrating method of storage.  5 screws to get at the model!  All OK, except my stock normally only comes out once every 2-3 months.  I normally store locos in their original boxes, so what to do with this one?  Bit of a pain.

Anyone come up with any storage solutions, or do you all just take them out of the box and leave them out?

• RMweb Gold

I’ve just removed the plastic cradle and used bits of spare foam to stop it moving in the box. I’ll keep the cradle in the cupboard but I guess it was a reaction to the damage suffered to details on previous models and possibly to protect the chassis springing?

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I've finished Maud, other than waiting for the plates from Narrow Planet (these are Severn Mill plonked on top for the photo). It really is a superb model for the price.

ps does anyone know were these ATC fitted and, if so, where was the shoe?

Also forgot to say, the tool boxes do come off (one of mine was slightly wonky) and so can be moved if required

407774021_IHauto1.jpg.6b28677dbec1bda1d17cd14a5c460ca6.jpg

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Adrian Stevenson said:

Hi Ian, your model was ATC fitted as indicated by the two battery boxes located under the bunker. One box for the the ATC in the cab, while the other one was for the Autocoach bell.

Cheers, Ade.

Thanks. They have modelled what I thought looked like an ATC bell in the cab but I wasnt sure. I've never seen any sign of a shoe in photos though: The auto gear is in the way at the front so I assume further back somewhere.

Good point re battery boxes - they will need removing for your 58xx.

• RMweb Premium

Likewise! I suspect neither class were ATC fitted but perhaps Swindon just used the same cab bell design for the auto comms, leading to the idea that 14xx were ATC fitted but 58xx werent.

Logically, given 58xx had to run round so slightly more likely to encounter signalling whereas 14xx didn't, you'd think it would be the other way round if anything. 

Edit - later turned out to be wrong - proves you should never apply logic to Swindon :)

Edited by Hal Nail

13 hours ago, Adrian Stevenson said:

Hi Ian, they were ATC fitted from new as far as I know.

http://www.greatwestern.org.uk/m_in_042.htm

Where the ATC shoe was fitted I don't know...

Cheers, Ade.

Russell states that all the 48xx were ATC fitted from new and that some 58xx were later fitted with ATC also.  Another source states that "half" the 58xx were so fitted.  ISTR that the Springside 48xx kit came with a cast ATC shoe which fitted to the front frame spacer behind the buffer beam.  Unfortunately I no longer have the model or the instructions to check.  As others have stated I haven't found a photo of a 48xx which shows the shoe yet either.  A good excuse for a field investigation when the lockdown finishes methinks!

Cheers,

Ray.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Marshall5 said:

ISTR that the Springside 48xx kit came with a cast ATC shoe which fitted to the front frame spacer behind the buffer beam.

I think I might have spotted one. Steam on West Country Branch Lines, Peter Gray p72 has a very low angle shot of 1421. It's not by any stretch clear but looks like there is something ahead of the front axle.

Edit: and Great Western Steam in Devon, Bradford Barton has 1472 on an embankment and you can see the silhouette of its shoe between the front wheels.

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Hal

Thanks.  Maud looks wonderful.  You inspired me to copy so I have traded 2 other locos and now have a 58xx from Rails of Sheffield.  Fitted DCC,  detail parts ordered from Northern Ireland.  Thanks for that tip too.  By way of a thank you  I thought I would be able to answer your ATC question, but no.  I have a copy of Peto, both parts of the history of the Class in Great Western Journal, Russell‘s Book,, Collet and Hawkesworth Locomotives,  a Locomotive iIllustrated from the 1980s.  No photos or drawings.  The Brian Daniels Detail album of the preserved 1450 only shows that the ATC was removed.

I think you could fit an ATC shoe wherever you wish and as long as it is impossible to see, it won’t matter where.  Glad you found some evidence.

Thanks again for the inspiration.

Simon

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1