Dapol announce 14xx/48xx/58xx in O.

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Lissadell said:

which rather takes me back to my original posting - a U.K. supplier???

I could only find China sources when I looked but I’ll have another dig around

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=m1.7+x+6&LH_PrefLoc=1

This should work but if not I typed in m1.7 x 6 and filtered uk only 

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Informative/Useful 1

Hi Hal

In between jobs today I put in an order for some of these size screws.

There will be quite a surplus, so I’ll just make them available to anyone who wants a pair free of charge. 

I’ll just ask for the price of a stamp so I can post them out to colleagues.

I’ll put a note on here when they arrive in my hands and I’ve checked they do the trick on my own 0.4.2 tank

Thanks for  the heads up Hal

Regards

Adrian

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
On 14/05/2020 at 08:34, GWR57xx said:

Does anybody know when the factory fitted sound versions are likely to appear? 

Posted this morning on Tower Models' website:

Good news from Dapol, we should hopefully receive later on today the first of the sound equipped versions of the 48xx/14xx/58xx 0-4-2 Autotanks. The delivery is expected later on in the day so we will get as many of them off today as we can but the majority will be despatched tomorrow. Those for numbering and weathering will be through to the workshop tomorrow night and should hopefully the first of them should be completed in the next ten days or so.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

My two 48xx arrived yesterday :).

Great service as usual from Tower Models.

Unfortunately both have the issue with the tiny screws from the plate under the front drivers not doing their job.

A couple of bits of detail loose in the box, easily resolved.

Considering how far these have travelled and how many times they've been shipped and handled and how much small detail there is to be damaged, they've survived remarkably well.

The only complaint I have (apart from the screws) is the daylight either side of the cab roof and the cab sides. Probably no more than 0.5mm each side, but very noticeable.

Anyone else had this?

It doesn't look as though the cab sides are splayed out, more like the roof just isn't quite wide enough?

• RMweb Premium
50 minutes ago, GWR57xx said:

The only complaint I have (apart from the screws) is the daylight either side of the cab roof and the cab sides. Probably no more than 0.5mm each side, but very noticeable.

Anyone else had this?

I've got a tiny gap on one side but pretty snug on the other.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

I've got a tiny gap on one side but pretty snug on the other.

If you look at the roof magnets you may find that they need compressing down a little with flat nose pliers. I had the same issue with their Pannier Tank.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, ROSSPOP said:

If you look at the roof magnets you may find that they need compressing down a little with flat nose pliers. I had the same issue with their Pannier Tank.

Thanks. I've just had another look, taken the roof off (mind the handrail!) and done what you suggest and put the roof back on and it's now much better. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I got my sound fitted 58xx on Monday from Tower Models.

No issues due to postage, all intact.

I am really impressed with how well this has run straight out of the box. The slow running is superb.

Hats off to Dapol for this model.

No connection, just a satisfied customer.

Cheers, Ade.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Hal Nail said:

Now that I do like: you cant beat a conversion! How much of that is the original Dapol?

Thank you Hal,

Cab removed and replaced, dome replaced with a Laurie Griffin brass one, early smokebox door casting and original rear modified, safety valve bonnet taken off and paint removed, bunker modified, rear sandboxes removed and new nickel silver valances fabricated to hide front sandboxes which are part of the chassis casting ( not prepared to cut them off but the extended valance hides them- crafty eh ! ).

Other mods as required and minor alts done.

Not perfect but I'm happy so far.

G

Edited by bgman
spelling alt
  • Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

My 14xx with DCC Sound arrived from Tower Models on Tuesday (very good service as always).

Ran it for the first time today: it's an excellent model (I don't own shares in Dapol!). Looks just the part and runs really well.

The availability of high quality RTR models has enabled me to embark on my long held ambition to build a layout.

I don't have much time, but with models like this I can at least capture the  "feel" of a former GW branch line.

thumbnail_20200618_174520.jpg

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I have purchased the DCC and sound fitted 48xx tank which arrived yesterday.

I am still awaiting delivery of my DCC controller.

In the meantime I tested it yesterday on DC but is the following correct?

Unlike a sound fitted Minerva Pannier, I purchased, there is no sound on DC?

Also once I notch the controller up to a high voltage there is quite a pronounced delay before it moves.

Which is again unlike the Minerva loco - I believe both are Zimo fitted.

Otherwise please to note it arrived up damaged but was a tight fit to extract from the box.

For the sound to be heard function one needs to be set to ON. 

With a Zimo chip you can allocate which functions are ON when using analogue.

There is usually a small delay when starting on DC because the decoder needs volts before the motor but it should not be excessive.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

The acceleration rate set for DCC operation seems to affect the rate at which locos move when on DC.  You can twiddle the knob faster than it wants to accelerate!  Try setting the controller to maybe one third, and see if it does the same, but just settles to a slower speed - I think you'll find it'll be fine when you get your DCC

fingers crossed

Simon

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, norman said:

For the sound to be heard function one needs to be set to ON. 

With a Zimo chip you can allocate which functions are ON when using analogue.

There is usually a small delay when starting on DC because the decoder needs volts before the motor but it should not be excessive.

Thank you Norman and Simon for your reassurance, if it wasn’t for the Minerva loco I would have been less concerned.

As you  can see I know very little about DCC

Edited by rprodgers
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 16/06/2020 at 19:08, Lissadell said:

I have ordered a pack of the longer screws - not here yet but when they are (and I’ve checked they do the job)  you can have some for the price of a stamp!

Adrian

Many thanks Adrian your generous FREE offer of longer screws arrived this AM and I can confirm that they resolve the problem.

Thank you.

Norman

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Has anyone found a use for the plastic transit “cradle” which seems to me unusable for storing this model when in use?

I have used some foam off cuts instead to pack the box out for storing the loco.

I am hoping Dapol will look at another solution for the 45xx

• 2 weeks later...