Dapol announce 14xx/48xx/58xx in O.

Andy Y

1 hour ago, Night Train said:

Could someone advise the overall length of this loco with an autocoach.

Thanks.

650mm overall buffers.

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

Yes that’s the install I’ve copied from John, but I’ve no control over the lighting. Re set the decoder as John at YouChoos suggested but the lights remain permanently on even when the light function is switched off. Check wires are soldered correctly which they are, I’ve tested the lights on the bench separately and they work correctly. 
‘could this be an issue with the mother board ?

It seems my loco is having an identity crisis at the moment...

Plates from Fox don’t fit the Dapol locos, so I’m awaiting ones from Narrow Planet, and a new smokebox door from Dapols parts supplier to finish it off. 

5E99461E-64DA-4444-A414-D8900A59756A.jpeg.55dd0be4545ad8409bebdf2ebc5626dc.jpeg

CC31A079-4FF1-47E4-874E-519CE5234AD8.jpeg.ceee57631714d62f08330bb6d14cf122.jpeg

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
15 hours ago, Piemanlarger said:

I'm having trouble fitting sugar cube speakers into Dapol supplied enclosure. 

I've read this thread but cant see an answer to the fact they sit too high / proud and the enclosure does not clip back into the pcp.

What have I missed??

I take it you did remove the speakers from their original supplied plastic sound enclosure first? I had a little trouble fitting the Dapol enclosure back into place, but it does go with a little force.

• Thanks 1

On 30/01/2021 at 12:44, steveb860 said:

I take it you did remove the speakers from their original supplied plastic sound enclosure first? I had a little trouble fitting the Dapol enclosure back into place, but it does go with a little force.

Errr,no !

But now I've tried it it works.

Ok first attempt I went too far and pulled the speaker apart but luckily I have spares..so 2nd attempt went better !

So when my 2nd 48xx turns up I now have apple board ready to go with two sugar cubes sealed with black tack.

Be interesting to compare the sound with the other 48xx that's fitted with mega base speakers, giving the sound project's are the same.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Can anyone tell me on the top feed versions, is this integral to the body moulding or an add on part?

It's not listed as a spare but then quite a lot of the other details aren't.

If it does come off and anyone has removed theirs, I'd be interested in purchasing one.

Ta

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Quick question if l may to the 48/14xx experts ,

No.1444, the Auto tank most associated with the Wallingford Branch in the 1950s, carried  the livery of BR Green, being fully lined with early crests. Was this the only example of this short lived intermediate livery on 14xx tanks?

I ve trawled through my library, and can not find other examples, however l believe l saw a photo of another 14xx somewhere on the Cambrian in the late 50s, in this livery, but as usual l can not locate it!

Bob C

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Blobrick said:

No.1444, the Auto tank most associated with the Wallingford Branch in the 1950s, carried  the livery of BR Green, being fully lined with early crests. Was this the only example of this short lived intermediate livery on 14xx tanks?

I ve trawled through my library, and can not find other examples, however l believe l saw a photo of another 14xx somewhere on the Cambrian in the late 50s, in this livery, but as usual l can not locate it!

Bob C

I have a feeling one of the west country ones also had that rarer variation but it may have been lined black I'm remembering. I'll go through my resources at some point.

Edit. It was 1453 I was remembering. Also unusual for having an odd smokebox door number plate which was quite distinctive.

Edited by Hal Nail

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, Hal Nail said:

I have a feeling one of the west country ones also had that rarer variation but it may have been lined black I'm remembering. I'll go through my resources at some point.

Hi there

You could be possibly referring to 1470, which was for many years the Ashburton branch loco. There are a few photos of it in BR mixed traffic livery, lined black in the early 1950s. Once Ashburton closed l believe 1470 worked on the Churston Branch until it was replaced by DMUs

Bob C

On 17/02/2021 at 19:37, Hal Nail said:

Can anyone tell me on the top feed versions, is this integral to the body moulding or an add on part?

It's not listed as a spare but then quite a lot of the other details aren't.

If it does come off and anyone has removed theirs, I'd be interested in purchasing one.

Ta

mine doesn’t have a top feed.  It’s a 58, was in shirtbutton but i backdated it.  I suspect that it is not an add-on part as there are no holes to locate & align it, but maybe it’s just stuck on.

0206282C-7C4B-4185-BE1B-7EB72A05D9E4.jpeg.35d00cc2aa7748d217ca63629abcf6cc.jpeg

its the nearer one.  A pal bought the other, it was on shed for consideration and advice, which led to him sending it back.  Shame, it was quite nice.  Mine now has Deltang BPRC..

ATB

Simon

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Simond said:

mine doesn’t have a top feed.  It’s a 58, was in shirtbutton but i backdated it.  I suspect that it is not an add-on part as there are no holes to locate & align it, but maybe it’s just stuck on.

0206282C-7C4B-4185-BE1B-7EB72A05D9E4.jpeg.35d00cc2aa7748d217ca63629abcf6cc.jpeg

its the nearer one.  A pal bought the other, it was on shed for consideration and advice, which led to him sending it back.  Shame, it was quite nice.  Mine now has Deltang BPRC..

ATB

Simon

Cheers,

I have a spare Masterpiece one and its fits the Dapol boiler perfectly so am using that.

My masterpiece loco was meant to be the luxury of a lifetime but I wasn't ever totally happy with it - it sat slightly down at the bunker end and the Dapol is almost as good and actually better around the smokebox door area. So I sold the Masterpiece on given it was 4 or 5 times the price!

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Blobrick said:

Bob C

1453 also carried lined green with early crests.  1454 was in green with the early crests but it may have been unlined - I'd have to find a clearer photo to be sure.  The lined/unlined, early/late crest question is just one part of the 14xx 'minefield' - top feed/no top feed is another one as these locos swapped boilers frequently.  At withdrawal 1420 had a top feed and 1450 didn't but photos of these locos in the early 50's show the reverse situation.  Oswestry based 1458 had a top feed in 1961 but had lost it by 1963!

As always it is a matter of finding as many photos of your chosen loco (at your chosen time period) as you can.

Cheers,

Ray.

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, Marshall5 said:

1453 also carried lined green with early crests.  1454 was in green with the early crests but it may have been unlined - I'd have to find a clearer photo to be sure.  The lined/unlined, early/late crest question is just one part of the 14xx 'minefield' - top feed/no top feed is another one as these locos swapped boilers frequently.  At withdrawal 1420 had a top feed and 1450 didn't but photos of these locos in the early 50's show the reverse situation.  Oswestry based 1458 had a top feed in 1961 but had lost it by 1963!

As always it is a matter of finding as many photos of your chosen loco (at your chosen time period) as you can.

Cheers,

Ray.

Thanks Ray

that's a big help. So that's at least two 14xxs carried this livery in the late 50s

Thanks for digging this info out

Cheers

Bob C

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, Blobrick said:

Thanks Ray

that's a big help. So that's at least two 14xxs carried this livery in the late 50s

Thanks for digging this info out

Cheers

Bob C

it was 1453 i remembered but just found a colour photo of 1458 in  early crest green at Southall in 1958 on rail online.

Rail Online, Colour Rail and Transport Library are all good places to search individual locos.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
38 minutes ago, Marshall5 said:

Cheers,

Ray.

Further to your info on 1453, Ray, I ve found a photo of her in 1962 0n FlickR, if you look on the tank side she still was carrying the lined early crest livery, but you do have to look very closely at the photo. Interestingly she has also lost her smoke box door number plate, I wonder what happened to it?

Cheers

Bob C

As the loco was still in traffic I'd guess that 1453's smokebox plate got 'liberated' but B.R. also found a ready market for such items.  My 'Old Man' applied to Swindon for a 14xx plate and was offered 1462's for the princely sum of a guinea - including delivery.  Some weeks later in 1963, on holiday in Devon, we bunked Exeter shed and were surprised to see the withdrawn 1462 still there.  ISTR that 1462, like 1466, remained in unlined black with the early crest until withdrawal.

Ray.

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, Marshall5 said:

As the loco was still in traffic I'd guess that 1453's smokebox plate got 'liberated' but B.R. also found a ready market for such items.  My 'Old Man' applied to Swindon for a 14xx plate and was offered 1462's for the princely sum of a guinea - including delivery.  Some weeks later in 1963, on holiday in Devon, we bunked Exeter shed and were surprised to see the withdrawn 1462 still there.  ISTR that 1462, like 1466, remained in unlined black with the early crest until withdrawal.

Ray.

Thanks Ray

Another shot of 1453 here that shows the lining. 

https://flic.kr/p/5KbUn7

There's quite a few photos of her as she was one of the regulars on the Chalford and Sharpness autos out of Gloucester for a few years and I assume the unusual livery and smokebox numberplate made for a more interesting photo- although you can't see the lining in most photos! I spent quite a lot of time looking for one that kept unlined black but with top feed until the end, I can confirm Ray's memory above is correct and 1462 was scrapped still in early crest black, I've found a couple of pictures of it on the scrap line at Exeter and that's the one I picked. 1466 did also carry lined early crest green- but only in preservation!

Edited by brianthesnail96
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, brianthesnail96 said:

Another shot of 1453 here that shows the lining. 

https://flic.kr/p/5KbUn7

There's quite a few photos of her as she was one of the regulars on the Chalford and Sharpness autos out of Gloucester for a few years and I assume the unusual livery and smokebox numberplate made for a more interesting photo- although you can't see the lining in most photos! I spent quite a lot of time looking for one that kept unlined black but with top feed until the end, I can confirm Ray's memory above is correct and 1462 was scrapped still in early crest black, I've found a couple of pictures of it on the scrap line at Exeter and that's the one I picked. 1466 did also carry lined early crest green- but only in preservation!

Thanks for the link BTS, its a good clear photo, with the lining clearly visable. I note that  the photo is dated 11963, so she carried that livery for quite so time.

Cheers

Bob C