Dapol announce 14xx/48xx/58xx in O.

Andy Y

On 17/06/2020 at 13:19, bgman said:

Thank you Hal,

Cab removed and replaced, dome replaced with a Laurie Griffin brass one, early smokebox door casting and original rear modified, safety valve bonnet taken off and paint removed, bunker modified, rear sandboxes removed and new nickel silver valances fabricated to hide front sandboxes which are part of the chassis casting ( not prepared to cut them off but the extended valance hides them- crafty eh ! ).

Other mods as required and minor alts done.

Not perfect but I'm happy so far.

G

Maybe the above could help you.

I had an original Mitchell kit which gives various options and used the remaining etches to do my "ongoing" conversion together with some scratch building.

G

On 17/06/2020 at 13:19, bgman said:

Thank you Hal,

Cab removed and replaced, dome replaced with a Laurie Griffin brass one, early smokebox door casting and original rear modified, safety valve bonnet taken off and paint removed, bunker modified, rear sandboxes removed and new nickel silver valances fabricated to hide front sandboxes which are part of the chassis casting ( not prepared to cut them off but the extended valance hides them- crafty eh ! ).

Other mods as required and minor alts done.

Not perfect but I'm happy so far.

G

On 20/06/2020 at 20:28, bgman said:

A very brief video of my ongoing conversion with sound decoder fitted

1 hour ago, Quarryscapes said:

Where did the 517 conversion components come from?

I quite fancy doing this. 

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

I've lost one of the longer main boiler handrail knobs from the barrel, nearest the side tanks.

Was hoping someone with prioprietary spares can confirm a close match for length before I buy a packet - I've got no idea if that is a long or a medium?

Thanks in anticipation.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

Thanks to the excellent service from Narrow Planet I now have the ‘off rail’ version too ;) 

That's interesting - I've always found their smoke box plates a bit small in the past but looks like these are the same size as Dapols original?

• RMweb Gold
Just now, Hal Nail said:

That's interesting - I've always found their smoke box plates a bit small in the past but looks like these are the same size as Dapols original?

They are longer and fractionally less tall but it’s so slight you can hardly see it in black and you could trim the top and bottom of the Dapol one if worried. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Quarryscapes said:

This is why I never offered smokebox plates - no manufacturer ever put the right size ones on to start with! 

In this case Dapols are pretty good - no complaints with them. It's not about covering the original but the actual numbers on the earlier replacements I've had were far too small and really showed up. Looks they have been tweaked which is great as they are good plates at that price.

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/06/2020 at 05:28, bgman said:

A very brief video of my ongoing conversion with sound decoder fitted

Nibbling away at the Dapol 48xx to 517 conversion.  All the main mods done, now down to detailing.  
To recap, this is shortened to correct wheelbase, tanks lowered and shortened, new round top firebox in brass  (both sides of spectacle using some Dapol fittings) and, new sandboxes in N/S, Slaters buffers, cab and tank handrails, new tool boxes in plastikard with brass lids, new N/S tank tops, spares box brass tank fillers, left over Mitchell cab, valances and bunker.
A very tight fit for flywheel under firebox and compromises aplenty, but I think it is more convincing than just changing the cab and renumbering which limits prototype options and looks too high and long.
The obvious error is a smokebox that is too long but to change would mean an entire boiler change.
Is it worth it?  Hmmm.  Still well under half the cost of a MM1 and running is excellent.
Room for a conversion kit that would ease the way perhaps?

79053E48-CC3D-4F92-A5D6-5EA1F5155574.jpeg

AA2E5521-684B-4237-BAE5-689F5F57496C.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, LaScala said:

Is it worth it?  Hmmm.  Still well under half the cost of a MM1 and running is excellent.

Wonderful even if there's something of grandpa's axe about this...

But of course it's worth it - just as the out and back stroll from Everest base camp has merit!

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, LaScala said:

Nibbling away at the Dapol 48xx to 517 conversion.  All the main mods done, now down to detailing.  
To recap, this is shortened to correct wheelbase, tanks lowered and shortened, new round top firebox in brass  (both sides of spectacle using some Dapol fittings) and, new sandboxes in N/S, Slaters buffers, cab and tank handrails, new tool boxes in plastikard with brass lids, new N/S tank tops, spares box brass tank fillers, left over Mitchell cab, valances and bunker.
A very tight fit for flywheel under firebox and compromises aplenty, but I think it is more convincing than just changing the cab and renumbering which limits prototype options and looks too high and long.
The obvious error is a smokebox that is too long but to change would mean an entire boiler change.

79053E48-CC3D-4F92-A5D6-5EA1F5155574.jpeg

AA2E5521-684B-4237-BAE5-689F5F57496C.jpeg

Well done Mr L definitely worth the effort and looks the part. 

Accepting the "slight" discrepancies of the "modern" offering I think it certainly gives a good, cheaper alternative as you say.

It would be a bonus to have a conversion kit available but if anyone is able to scratch build then it is a nice little project.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

I've had a go at 58xx No. 5809.  I think the prototype is probably unique for retaining "GREAT WESTERN" in full on its tanks until the 1950s, despite having a top feed fitted.  There is a photo illustrating this currently on eBay, but it can also be found on Page 6 of the "Railway Liveries - Great Western Railway" book.  The photo is recorded as being taken in Bristol on 5 March 1950. 

Interestingly, it does indicate that the Dapol model of 5809 in shirtbutton livery probably never happened!

Here is my approximate recreation in monochrome, as well as a colour photo.  It's based on Dapol's 5811, with top feed and whistle shield added from the spares box, single ATC box behind the cab step (think that's what it is), pipe removed from cab side, tool box repositioned and front steps modified.  Plus a bit of weathering - obligatory when it hasn't been repainted for at least 16 years...

5809c.jpg

5809b.jpg

Edited by DMY
Correct link to photo
  • Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 4 weeks later...

A package from Scotland kick started some action on the 517.

Boiler fittings and reverser

a few things left and number plates of course. The character is changed by the proportions being altered by the tall chimney.

The compromises are many but  without getting too picky I think it has the essence of a Victorian branch tank.

I think dome and SV should be painted for a 1920’s loco.

43BA616F-6C53-461E-B6EB-B6892D8FB7D0.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

6 hours ago, LaScala said:

A package from Scotland kick started some action on the 517.

Boiler fittings and reverser

a few things left and number plates of course. The character is changed by the proportions being altered by the tall chimney.

The compromises are many but  without getting too picky I think it has the essence of a Victorian branch tank.

I think dome and SV should be painted for a 1920’s loco.

43BA616F-6C53-461E-B6EB-B6892D8FB7D0.jpeg

You have definitely captured the essence and changed the character of the original model, well done. Mine is currently awaiting some treatment whilst I carry on with the Mitchell kit version. One thing you will definitely benefit from is good running qualities from the original chassis.

G

Edited by bgman
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Adrian Stevenson said:

I am currently building a 517 and I am tempted to use the left over bits too onto a Dapol 14xx chassis.

The dome and safety valve cover really should be green by this point in time.

Cheers, Ade.

I also built the JLTRT MItchell as a late era enclosed cab 517.

It's a great kit and I used a Slater's motor/gearbox which is very smooth and powerful, much more so than the Dapol.

Just do not run them double headed and draw attention to the fudges.

The first problem with using a bargain Dapol chassis is that it is too long and the surgery required is serious.

The next problem is that, truth be told, everything is incorrect with the Dapol superstructure for a 517.  There is no part of it that is correct for any era of 517 except the Collett bunker (which I discarded but may re-use on something else).

The big win is financial as most of the conversion parts are spares in the JLTRT kit and even with the lovely castings, the cost is not much more than half a JLTRT.  The cheaper you can score the Dapol the better.  It's all a bit Model Railway Constructor 1970 "I converted my Triang L1 into a Great Central Director".

Here is a reminder of where this started out.

I think Laurie must have choked sending me the bits knowing full well that a Chinese RTR was the recipient.

I know the fittings should be green, but this was an instant gratification moment as I had waited a few weeks for the goodies.  I was at least pleased the curve of my firebox was spot on!

Please show us your efforts

Hugh

Dapol 5819.jpg

Edited by LaScala
added image
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

On 01/09/2021 at 07:17, LaScala said:

I also built the JLTRT MItchell as a late era enclosed cab 517.

It's a great kit and I used a Slater's motor/gearbox which is very smooth and powerful, much more so than the Dapol.

Just do not run them double headed and draw attention to the fudges.

The first problem with using a bargain Dapol chassis is that it is too long and the surgery required is serious.

The next problem is that, truth be told, everything is incorrect with the Dapol superstructure for a 517.  There is no part of it that is correct for any era of 517 except the Collett bunker (which I discarded but may re-use on something else).

The big win is financial as most of the conversion parts are spares in the JLTRT kit and even with the lovely castings, the cost is not much more than half a JLTRT.  The cheaper you can score the Dapol the better.  It's all a bit Model Railway Constructor 1970 "I converted my Triang L1 into a Great Central Director".

Here is a reminder of where this started out.

I think Laurie must have choked sending me the bits knowing full well that a Chinese RTR was the recipient.

I know the fittings should be green, but this was an instant gratification moment as I had waited a few weeks for the goodies.  I was at least pleased the curve of my firebox was spot on!

Hugh

Dapol 5819.jpg

Dome still not seated properly but looks a bit more 1920’s

A3812F4E-761A-45F9-848B-BB9EE8FCF74D.jpeg

• Like 3

On 31/08/2021 at 22:17, LaScala said:

Nice to see your completed conversion Hugh .

I am tempted to alter my ongoing conversion with the spare etch from the Mitchell kit to a round topped firebox as you've done.

As for the other one on the workbench here she is on the first trial run....

Like you I used the Slaters motor / gearbox which is installed with the motor facing towards the smokebox and a small flywheel attached for hopefully better running qualities once run in.

G

10 hours ago, bgman said:

Nice to see your completed conversion Hugh .

I am tempted to alter my ongoing conversion with the spare etch from the Mitchell kit to a round topped firebox as you've done.

As for the other one on the workbench here she is on the first trial run....

Like you I used the Slaters motor / gearbox which is installed with the motor facing towards the smokebox and a small flywheel attached for hopefully better running qualities once run in.

G

That's looking good and a similar combination of variables to mine but without the compromises.  Seems the fit of the dome is typical.

I still have to contrive the front sandbox linkages.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Not sure which is the best 14xx thread for this but thought I'd try here. I've found a photo claiming to be of 1450 near Tiverton in 1962 still in black. That must be an error as it was already in green late totem by then but I didn't know it was still in black when transfered West.

Does anyone have any info on when it was repainted please?

Edit: it was Green when photographed at Oxford so the caption must just be totally wrong. Pity!

Edited by Hal Nail