Dapol announce 14xx/48xx/58xx in O.

Andy Y

I agree, as dated photos show 1450 at Oxford (6/62) and Tiverton (7/62) in lined green, late crest and no top feed. I found a photo of 1450 in black with early crest (with top feed) at Marlow but that was in 1954.

I'd be tempted to think that the loco is misidentified rather than the date.  Did the loco in the photo have a top feed?  1462 and 1466 both worked the Tiverton branch in 1962 and both were in black with early crest up to withdrawal - but both had top feed ......  What do you think?

Cheers,

Ray.

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Marshall5 said:

I agree, as dated photos show 1450 at Oxford (6/62) and Tiverton (7/62) in lined green, late crest and no top feed. I found a photo of 1450 in black with early crest (with top feed) at Marlow but that was in 1954.

I'd be tempted to think that the loco is misidentified rather than the date.  Did the loco in the photo have a top feed?  1462 and 1466 both worked the Tiverton branch in 1962 and both were in black with early crest up to withdrawal - but both had top feed ......  What do you think?

Cheers,

Ray.

I'm really not sure what it is - doesn't quite fit any I looked up. Location could be almost anywhere as its a single line against bushes! Loco has no top feed (and I was pretty sure 1450 did until later) but tool box (on the driver's side at least) is in the mid position which rules out a few. The number plate does look like 1450 but isn't totally clear.

Possible it is 1450 but a different date and place but that would depend when it lost the top feed and I'd guess that was when it was painted green!

My  copy of Peto has shopping dates but doesn’t give out shopped liveries.

1450 had a Heavy Intermediate at Swindon in February 1955; a Heavy General at Swindon in September 1956.  Peto says the first 14xx appeared in green in early 1957.

1450 had a Heavy Casual at Stafford Road in April 1958; and a Heavy General there in September 1961.    It moved to Exeter in July 1962.    It’s only other works activity was Taunton shops in November 1962.    Surely Stafford Road Factory would have out shopped it in green in April 1958 or September 1961.

I found a picture of it at Oxford  in April 1962, on Flickr and it is fairly grubby lined green.

Don’t think it went West black.  

Regards

Simon

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Maybachmd655 said:

My  copy of Peto has shopping dates but doesn’t give out shopped liveries.

1450 had a Heavy Intermediate at Swindon in February 1955; a Heavy General at Swindon in September 1956.  Peto says the first 14xx appeared in green in early 1957.

1450 had a Heavy Casual at Stafford Road in April 1958; and a Heavy General there in September 1961.    It moved to Exeter in July 1962.    It’s only other works activity was Taunton shops in November 1962.    Surely Stafford Road Factory would have out shopped it in green in April 1958 or September 1961.

I found a picture of it at Oxford  in April 1962, on Flickr and it is fairly grubby lined green.

Don’t think it went West black.  

Regards

Simon

Thanks, agreed I'd ruled out the West Country but is possible from those dates it lost the top-feed after we've seen it with one, but before green was introduced.

Interesting how many variations they all went through: Easy to forget that when so many photos are just the last few years of steam.

• 4 months later...

I have mislaid the five packaging screws supplied with this model – two long ones that hold the loco mount halves together, and three short ones that secure the loco to the mount.

Could anyone give me the correct sizes for these screws so that I source replacements please?

Edited by dpgibbons

• RMweb Premium
On 08/01/2022 at 11:37, Marshall5 said:

Cheers,

Ray.

I've just come across 1452 which is less frequently photo'd that most. Exeter based later on, black, no top feed, driver's side tool box in the mid position. I don't have the photo to hand now but this would tick all the boxes, even down to the plate looking like 145 something (albeit not entirely clear, hence the misidentification perhaps).

• RMweb Premium
On 04/06/2022 at 05:22, dpgibbons said:

I have mislaid the five packaging screws supplied with this model – two long ones that hold the loco mount halves together, and three short ones that secure the loco to the mount.

Could anyone give me the correct sizes for these screws so that I source replacements please?

Since no one has jumped in, I've not had access to mine since you asked but can measure up next week if you still need it. I might be able to spare some as it's a monumental faff putting them away and I do have one in a loco box.

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, gwrrob said:

According to Rails this afternoon another run of these, in various liveries, has been announced today.

I've nearly finished altering one to late crest with a top feed so was inevitable they would bring one out!

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 6 months later...
  • RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Dragonfly said:

Mine arrived in yesterday's post, no working layout to test on at this point but it had to be taken out of the box for a breather.

Looks absolutely stunning imo.

20230404_203324.jpg.d2042713fdcce0993e3980de78663ff9.jpg

Have you got the missing cab handrail?

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, ROSSPOP said:

Have you got the missing cab handrail?

Thank you for identifying what they are. Yes, there are two handrails loose in the packaging, so clearly a tad damaged in transit, but should be a clean fix.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, meatloaf said:

Have they changed the packaging this time? Last time they were in this awful black clamshell but looking at your pic it seems its on a plinth now like the DMUs.

Yes, it's in polystyrene this time, and on a plinth. Clearly not perfect given the loose handrails, but hopefully an improvement.

20230404_203241.jpg.fa74e8b8f1075e1f959eb5a82da9f7ba.jpg

• Informative/Useful 1

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

I’ve not long received my 58xx and Autocoach. Very pleased to say it survived the trip to New Zealand with no damage at all. The new plinth arrangement is definitely an improvement over the hard plastic shell it was in previously. The detail on this loco is stunning. I know the 58xx wasn’t auto fitted but I love the lined BRITISH RAILWAYS livery so I can live with that. This O Gauge bug is very catchy with Dapols fantastic prices! Dangerous! 

IMG_2838.jpeg

IMG_2839.jpeg

IMG_2843.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Has anyone got a BR green one from both batches and can therefore comment on whether the green is the same? It looks richer in the latest photos but that might just be the lighting. If it is I might get the latest and redo my older one.

Ta

I’m sure the originals had some variation in colour!  

Mine is a 58, rebadged and re numbered.  Unfortunately, removing the printed logo has left a glossy bit.  I should have given it a dose of Matt varnish the other day whilst the airbrush was loaded…

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Simond said:

I’m sure the originals had some variation in colour!  

Presumably at least some of the originals looked right then?!

I find the easiest way to remove logos is to attempt to strip the entire loco, whereby they are invariably the only thing that budges.

I was comparing my first batch 1426 against Hattons photo of the latest which I particularly like, but I suspect its the same and just the lighting.

14xx.jpeg.38a5bc543eb16ee1ef028c7d2b399cc4.jpeg14xx2.jpg.f07c578cb0e90decf33950b08afb3e69.jpg

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Like 1