Dapol announce 14xx/48xx/58xx in O.

Andy Y

On 25/04/2020 at 12:21, dpgibbons said:

I have emailed Dapol about the keeper plate issue. If they can supply a replacement keeper plate and longer securing screws then it's a simple fix.  Going forward the packaging design needs to be improved with more robust screws secured directly into the chassis.

Meantime I estimate the securing screws required are M1.6 x 8mm or 10mm, so I'll buy some on eBay and see if they do the trick. 

Update - thanks to suggestions here and some helpful advice from Dapol I was able to secure the keeper plate to the damaged threads using slightly longer screws - M1.7 x 6mm did the trick

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, norman said:

Amazing, well done you and Dapol.

I have found Dapol very helpful with this kind of thing, just this week I received three small coupling “springy things” that were broken on a new wagon, an email later and these were sent by return.

Good stuff.

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, dpgibbons said:

Update - thanks to suggestions here and some helpful advice from Dapol I was able to secure the keeper plate to the damaged threads using slightly longer screws - M1.7 x 6mm did the trick

Any indication if they were meant to be longer screws in the first place?

At some point I do need to store mine ( as I'm sure others will) and dont want to risk damaging it myself.

Ta

The keeper plate thread is clearly longer than the screws used, and there is a unused mounting hole in the chassis under the packaging retaining screw. So yes, my impression is that this is a production rather than a design flaw. But only a few locos have been damaged, and those in the ungentle hands of the postal services, so it's unlikely that handling at home would be an issue. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

What is the purpose of the very fine pipe detail that runs vertically down the RH cabside from top of panel to footplate?

It seems to be present on all versions of the model.

I ask because I found a very clear but undated photo of 5809 bearing “Great Western” whilst at Blaenau Ffestiniog.

I am interested in obtaining a 58xx model and wondered if the absent pipe might be unique to 5809 or whether others of the class lacked it?  

Depends what it did, perhaps.  Hence my opening question!

Thank you for any guidance

Adrian

On 27/03/2020 at 16:53, Welsh Signaller said:

Does anyone know how to remove the body shell ?

Thanks 

A bit late to the thread and your question but this may be helpful as I intend to do some modification to the body....

G

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
49 minutes ago, Lissadell said:

What is the purpose of the very fine pipe detail that runs vertically down the RH cabside from top of panel to footplate?

It seems to be present on all versions of the model.

I ask because I found a very clear but undated photo of 5809 bearing “Great Western” whilst at Blaenau Ffestiniog.

I am interested in obtaining a 58xx model and wondered if the absent pipe might be unique to 5809 or whether others of the class lacked it?  

Depends what it did, perhaps.  Hence my opening question!

Thank you for any guidance

Adrian

It's an electrical cable, either for the atc or auto bells. On the 14xx it linked to a wire running the length of the loco under the running plate into each auto box on the buffer beams, with a feed off to the atc and another to the battery boxes. They havent modelled these bits but they have done the wire down the front of the side tanks that was also part of this.

58xx didnt have auto obviously and many didnt have ATC either. I dont know off hand if that cab wire was present on ATC fitted 58xx or if it was purely on autofitted locos.

Edited by Hal Nail

Thank you Hal

Since posting I’ve found several photos of 58xx in BR livery and none show this vertical wire present.

Which of course fits in with your explanation of what it was for.

Perhaps then, it would seem safe to just remove from the 58xx model.

Bit of a “bonus” ??? It looks very fragile and handling must need to be very careful round that area.

Adrian

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, Lissadell said:

Since posting I’ve found several photos of 58xx in BR livery and none show this vertical wire present.

Perhaps then, it would seem safe to just remove from the 58xx model.

Looks like at least some 58xx did have the wire on the tank front so leave that if in doubt. I'm guessing this linked the ATC shoe in between the front wheels, to the bell in the cab and that your wire was purely to allow the same bells to ring in the autocoach.

You also need to remove one or both battery boxes at the rear.

Edited by Hal Nail

Thanks Hal

Yes I spotted that wire tucked in the corner of the Rh tank!

I’ve seen you’ve worked on one of these models already.............

Can I ask you about those two battery boxes please?  Are they a plastic addon to the face of the chassis frames?

Easy/tricky to remove?

Thinking about removal,  what was the significance of your hint “one or both” - sorry to be ignorant on this point!

Thanks for your guidance

Adrian

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, Lissadell said:

Thanks Hal

Yes I spotted that wire tucked in the corner of the Rh tank!

I’ve seen you’ve worked on one of these models already.............

Can I ask you about those two battery boxes please?  Are they a plastic addon to the face of the chassis frames?

Easy/tricky to remove?

Thinking about removal,  what was the significance of your hint “one or both” - sorry to be ignorant on this point!

Thanks for your guidance

Adrian

I think they are probably glued on but it's hard to tell if it's just part of the cab steps and I dont want to test too hard! One of the two is for the auto gear so you dont need that; the other was for ATC and some 58xx had this, some didnt, if I'm remembering correctly from further up the thread!

55 minutes ago, Lissadell said:

Easy/tricky to remove?

They are indeed plastic with a couple of small lugs on the rear which are pushed into the chassis  and the rear sandboxes are too. A very careful wiggle will dislodge them ( One of the ups did break off on mine when removing it but not a problem if you wish to reattach them ). The front sandboxes appear to be cast with the frame.

Hope this helps ?

G

• Thanks 1

Hello BG man

Thanks very much for the info - very helpful

I posted because a moment ago I ticked “T” to thank you rather than the thumbs up - never done it before so concerned I hadn’t done it wrong!!

Adrian

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...

Those tiny screws on the front keeper plate - the ones that have gone awol on my just arrived model!

I see I need to get hold of some M1.7 x 6mm to secure the plate.

Before I order 100, or is it 1000, from China .............. did anyone locate a source in the U.K.?

Just thinking, did anyone receive a pair of longer replacements from Dapol themselves? Maybe I should email them first?

Regards

Adrian

Dapol offered me advice but not replacement parts, and DCC Supplies has no stock of these as yet. The longer screws I used are not official items, so I doubt they would stock them. If you do buy 100 there might be a business opportunity.

• Thanks 1