Dapol announce 14xx/48xx/58xx in O.

Andy Y

• 3 months later...
4 hours ago, Adrian Stevenson said:

My guess would be so the Chinese workers get the number plates in the right place.  

The workers get hundreds of other parts in the right place without the need for an unprototypical feature.

I'm afraid number plate pits are moronic flavour of the month designer fads.

• Like 1
  • Agree 8

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Miss Prism said:

The workers get hundreds of other parts in the right place without the need for an unprototypical feature.

I'm afraid number plate pits are moronic flavour of the month designer fads.

It is odd, if they need help positioning the plates just use a couple of small holes on the body and lugs on the plates......better still just use a layover template at that stage of assembly!

• Agree 1

All Great Western locomotive cab side number plates have a 3/4" outer beading (0.44mm) which is painted  body colour, so the design of all ex Lionheart and the new Dapol locomotives have this small beading moulded to the cab side which is painted the relevant body colour.

It also ensures the plates are mounted horizontally by the factory workers. If purchasing an unnumbered model the small beading on an etched plate needs removing and then the new plate will fit in the small recess.

Best Regards, Richard

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

20 minutes ago, coeurdelyon said:

All Great Western locomotive cab side number plates have a 3/4" outer beading

1/2" actually. The thing on the Dapol body looks significantly larger than 0.3mm to me, to the extent that it could be level with a plate surface fitted into the pit.

Which is exactly the opposite of what is wanted.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 04/03/2019 at 19:36, Miss Prism said:

1/2" actually. The thing on the Dapol body looks significantly larger than 0.3mm to me, to the extent that it could be level with a plate surface fitted into the pit.

Which is exactly the opposite of what is wanted.

Maybe, maybe.

But all things are relative and it's certainly not as bad/awful/unnecessary as a certain 4mm manufacturer.

• Agree 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

But all things are relative and it's certainly not as bad/awful/unnecessary as a certain 4mm manufacturer.

Quite, and if I'm being honest with myself, that episode has jaundiced my views. I'm not saying plate pits can't be done successfully, but it is a high-risk strategy, because the interface between plate and pit has to be so precise in x, y, and z dimensions. Let's hope Dapol release that interface spec so that 3rd party plate manufacturers know what the hell is going on.

Interestingly, no plate pits on Dapol's 4mm stuff as yet, so the world continues on its madly inconsistent way.

Great, innit?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

On 03/03/2019 at 09:57, Adrian Stevenson said:

Here is a shot of the 14xx prototype body which was on display yesterday at Kettering O gauge show.

Cheers, Ade.

20190302_095546.jpg

Maybe they are doing the Flying Snotsman??

hat,coat, leave...

• Funny 1

I am attaching a picture showing the raised beading of the cab side number on the first shots of the 48xx locomotives, plus a picture of the Dapol Pannier tank locomotive cab side number plate showing the painted raised beading and fitted brass plate 5700

cabside numberplate.jpg

5700 on Dapol Pannier.JPG

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, aaron3820 said:

G'day all,

Dapol have made a post to their Facebook page regarding artwork for the O gauge 14/48/58xx. It can be found here: 

Let's hope that those reviewing it do a better job than those writing the post. "Limmited"

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• 2 weeks later...