GFYE Co-Bos

Dubaimike

The latest issue of Modern Locomotives Illustrated covers these locos, and includes a photo of a GFYE example which is said to be D5709, (the number can't be seen in the picture). I've seen pictures of D5707 and D5708 in this livery, and thought these were the only two to carry it. Can anyone confirm if D5709 did too?

Thanks

Mike

• 2 months later...

The latest issue of Modern Locomotives Illustrated covers these locos, and includes a photo of a GFYE example which is said to be D5709, (the number can't be seen in the picture). I've seen pictures of D5707 and D5708 in this livery, and thought these were the only two to carry it. Can anyone confirm if D5709 did too?

Thanks

Mike

Pretty sure it didn't. But it may have done...

• RMweb Gold

How certain are you of that Graham? I am pretty sure but do you know for a fact that none of the rest did? I only knew of D5708 for many years until a shot of D5707 appeared.

if you're 100% sure I'm happy to take that as gospel.

Just as an aside I am editing Sixties Diesel & Electric Days Remembered VI just now and there is a full chapter on CoBos " CoBo Chaos" for Spring 2018.

Kevin

• Like 3

How certain are you of that Graham? I am pretty sure but do you know for a fact that none of the rest did? I only knew of D5708 for many years until a shot of D5707 appeared.

if you're 100% sure I'm happy to take that as gospel.

All I can say Russell is that whilst researching liveries for the Heljan initial releases we trawled through hundreds of images, some taken quite late on in their lives. The different positionings of the OHLW warning flashes always helped to confirm whether a loco had been correctly identified and the shape of the SYP also varied a bit. I knew quite early on through my slide collection that D5707/8 were definite' s and of course D5701 in blue, but by the time these locos had received the LYE from Crewe at least half the remaining class were either un-serviceable or were in store, either officially or otherwise. I have found one or two images of the GLYE pair in the event to have been wrongly captioned so at present I will stick with what I know I have identified unless someone can prove me wrong with evidence.

I managed to underline all of the class during their final years and I'm sure I would have observed further GLYE variants other than than the two already mentioned. It was either 1965 or 1966 when there were eleven of the class all stored in a line behind Crewe Works shielded by other loco's so that they couldn't be photographed and these were all filthy SYP some with fire damage.

As with anything I am happy to be proved wrong but can only actually confirm what I have seen evidence of. I look forward to some more different images.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

The maximum number of Co-Bos at Crewe Works at any given date was 7  in September 1966 when 5704/5/9/10/11/14/17 were in attendance. 5703/13 were also stored at Barrow on this date. As mentioned above only D5707/8 carried green FYE and D5701 was blue. OHLW flashes (both front and side) , red circle coupling code symbols or lack of and slight variations in the yellow panels are among the distinguishing features. For some reason wrong IDs of Co-Bos are rife - perhaps nobody was that bothered back then.

• Like 1