Joining track

Peco code 75 joiners fit well but look horrible..

C & L plastic joiners look much better but you will need to solder wires across every joint to keep the juice flowing.

There are people who say you should do this any way, even when using metal joiners.

They are probably right.

Bernard

• RMweb Gold

I am personally a great believer in rail joiners, though I agree they look horrible.  They are a very effective way of ensuring that the ends of the joined rails align correctly, and smooth rail joins are one of the prerequisites for smooth and reliable running and current collection on rigid framed RTR locos.  I find the appearance much less of an issue once the rails are painted.  As for soldering between rails, I don't, but my railway is a small and permanently erected BLT and I do not feel the need for the extra strength and backup connectivity this would provide; I would most certainly recommend it on an exhibition layout where reliability must overcome differing floor and climatic conditions while being robust enough to withstand repeated mantling and dismantling. It assists with fault finding should that be necessary as well.