3d printing for the Soller Railway

13 hours ago, ttst2 said:

Do you have any outline dimensions of the prototype? Or have you scaled it all from photos knowing the gauge? I’m going to make a micro layout of soller and want to 3D print my own rolling stock, just looking for prototype drawings to get started. I’m going for with 4mm scale on 12mm or nn3   Any help appreciated. 

4 hours ago, MikeTrice said:

Have a look at the very first post in this thread then follow the link.

Mike's photos and drawings have proven to be invaluable, as have Giles Barnabie's in his books despite being a little basic (ie because I had to copy dimensions using the scale in the drawing). There are resources on the net that seem less so or don't state where the exact measurements are from. It'd be great to check the measurements I've used if someone is going out there with a tape measure but I've invested so much time in getting it nearly right I'd have to claim the manufacturer's first amendment and put up with any inaccuracies.

I currently have other more pressing projects to finish such as a Cuban layout and a magazine article for another layout, but my next step for these drawings is to replace the spindly details such as the truss rods with holes for brass wire and having another go at printing them. I built the baseboards for the layout over Christmas and have the makings of the viaduct kitbashed from Kibri bits.

I'd need to modify my drawings to fit a different pantograph base in OOn3 (?), but can see how a Sommerfeld HO tram type diamond pan could work...

Edited by 298

Thanks for pointing out the link - Google took me straight to the end of the thread - bit of a school boy error that one! My original thought was NN3 - meter gauge on z-scale in 2mm, so would draw up my own models and print that, due to the train length issue widely discussed. It would also mean the drawing would be simplified.  It was the thought of using a version of viessmann catenary that started to get out of hand… However I’ve always modelled in 4mm, so might revert to that and 12mm track. 

Tbh it’s the scenic modelling that appeals as much as the challenge of the loco - making orange groves that actually smell. 

• Like 1

@ttst2, I have been thinking but am still undecided whether or how to release these files, the drivers being I haven't had alot of feedback from other models that I've made available on Thingiverse when the world seemed to be going potty over fictitious locos with battleship checker plate and applehead rivets and I certainly haven't the time or inclination to do commercial work for others, the closest I've been is making a model of an airplane for my Dad a couple of Christmases ago and it was gutting to have to rectify a few issues when it was damaged. My Shapeways store has earnt a small amount of pocket money but when you've heard of others blatantly saying they want you to rescale a design so they can copy it in resin for profit I kind of switched off. 

I've personally had alot of fun through producing my own designs and would certainly encourage and support others to do their own form of modern  scratchbuilding this way, otherwise if you're after a quick go at the Soller in 1:160 scale there are these otherwise unknown to me models on Shapeways plus files for some of the Trams on Yeggi:

https://www.shapeways.com/marketplace?type=product&q=Soller

• Like 2

Useful dimension those, thanks! I think ‘top height on rail’ is a loose translation of ATR - ‘above top of rail’, the height to which a passenger platform should be built. Looking at the photos this makes sense as the wheels are 900mm diameter, and the floor is above these, but the step on the side is below the top of the wheel and below floor level. What do you think?

• Like 1

I enjoy drawing the models from limited information too, so I think I’ll push on with drawing this one up, plus it’s useful having access to a 3D printer at work. I started making stuff for my son - take-n-play track points etc. by the time he was 5 (!) though he was asked for very specific thing tan-y-bwlch road bridge for instance! 
I’ve never published any, as I thought the same as you - anything that is half decent will be used by someone to copy and make money. 

if I find any new information I’ll keep sharing it on here - seems only fair. 

8DC4590D-9632-4294-8532-CC881F537834.jpeg

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
20 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

Andy, is there any chance of sorting the photos, plus any progress? 😁

To summarise, everyone I know has been on holiday there... ( @long island jack has ridden it today ), I'm still trying to sell the concept to my family...

I'm currently working on the viaduct as a small pizza layout, I've finished the cad for the brake vans but not printed anything recently or the Shortys). 

I'll try to have a go at the photos, but in the meantime here is the terraforming currently going on on the summerhouse, until the family claim it back as apparently it isn't a modelling room....

PXL_20231119_162227920_MP.jpg.7b8f0924100d235b8713788d2c92b70f.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1