Peco Viaduct - Laying Track and Ballasting

Hi All

I have recently come back into the hobby.

I have recently purchased a couple of the Peco 3 arch viaducts to make a larger version around 1.5m length in total.

The base to the viaduct is the plastic base that comes with the kit, the rest of my layout and the track will have cork under the track so that it can give me the desired ballast shoulder.

The question is this (get to the point I here you say) , what do I do with the viaduct?

To get the track to the same height I will no doubt have to put cork under the track on the base that comes with the Peco kit. Or is there another method? Should there still be a ballast shoulder on the viaduct?

Does anyone have any idea of glues that could be used, I was considering no more nails (a solvent free) due to the fact the length of the viaduct is quite long, are there any other suggestions? I don't think PVA would adhere to the plastic.

Also due to the fact I won't be able to pin the track down to the viaduct as its plastic, what glue is best for securing the track down to the cork? or indeed to the plastic?

Any suggestions, ideas or remedies would be great

Thanks

Huw

• RMweb Gold

Hi there Huw - I have used No More Nails without any issue on most of my layout - it will adhere the cork or track tot he plactic viaduct base, but you need to spread it thin. When it goes off it sets rock hard so no flexibility. PVA should stick, but you may need to rough up the surface of the plastic first.

Deluxe Products offer a great range of adhesives for all kinds of uses. Take a look at their website and I am sure you will find one suitable. Their card glue is exceptionally good and may also be suitable for this purpose.

Here is a picture of track going over a viaduct which may help you. I found it on Bing Images. A quick search and you will get no end of pictures to use as reference. It looks like there is still a shoulder going across the viaduct. Therefore, I would run cork all the way across the viaduct and use No More Nails, PVA or Deluxe glues to stick it down and then stick the track to the cork with PVA and ballast as usual. Double sided tape is another possibility, but it will lose its adhesiveness as soon as you spread the watered down PVA over the ballast.

Let us know how you get on.

Ian

post-21193-0-62825600-1504696369.jpg

Edited by ianLMS

I have used impact adhesive for both track and polystyrene. However, a word of warning about using impact adhesive on polystyrene, it actually will soften polystyrene if used too liberally. Use a very thin layer for sticking the cork to the viaduct. Use PVA for track to cork if you ever want to re-use the track otherwise use impact adhesive for a firm permanent joint.

I have used Model Railway Solutions self adhesive cork underlay (https://www.modelrailwaysolutions.co.uk/) and No More Nails to glue the track to the underlay with success. I found the self adhesive underlay easy to lay and the adhesive will attach securely to wood or plastic ( I also have a plastic bridge).  The off-cuts have also proved quite useful for  attaching other things to the underside of the baseboard, as well.  As Ian says,, No More Nails sets rock hard.  It also is quite tenacious when first applied, making it possible to slew the track into the right position and for it then to stay there.  I can recommend getting a copy L. V. Wood's "Bridges for Modellers" (OPC,1085) - it contains details of ballasting across bridges.

I used an adhesive, clear kitchen and bath sealant to secure Woodland Scenics roadbed to the viaduct. It'll work just as well with cork. Only a thin layer is needed. The sealant grips firmly, yet the roadbed is easily removed with a paint scraper. The track is secured to the roadbed with the same sealant.

Malcolm

Calgary, Canada