LIMA Inside Framed 'Siphon G'. Thoughts on prototype and detailing.

• RMweb Gold

There are also 3D printed bogies available on Shapeways (no connection other than as customer). You need to provide your own wheels and 2 versions are made. 1 with provision for brass bearings and one without.  I have a pair of each.  Whilst not exactly cheap for a pair of bogies I can vouch for their simplicity as I'm the kind of guy who has all thumbs in place of fingers.  (Note the price is per bogie not a pair).

https://www.shapeways.com/product/966HTBFBT/gw-9-american-bogie-lima-fit-needs-bearings?optionId=60119162&li=ostatus

https://www.shapeways.com/product/PHAPL7GWS/gwr-9-american-bogie-lima-fit?optionId=60118914&li=ostatus

There are also 3D printed bogies available on Shapeways (no connection other than as customer). You need to provide your own wheels and 2 versions are made. 1 with provision for brass bearings and one without.  I have a pair of each.  Whilst not exactly cheap for a pair of bogies I can vouch for their simplicity as I'm the kind of guy who has all thumbs in place of fingers.  (Note the price is per bogie not a pair).

https://www.shapeways.com/product/966HTBFBT/gw-9-american-bogie-lima-fit-needs-bearings?optionId=60119162&li=ostatus

https://www.shapeways.com/product/PHAPL7GWS/gwr-9-american-bogie-lima-fit?optionId=60118914&li=ostatus

Thanks for the reply

Very interesting as the american bogie would work to mix things up.

I have six lima siphons to bring up to scratch.All will be based around late 70s newspaper traffic br blue.Maybe ETH.As what i remember going pass the warren as a kid.

I am looking at w1325 as one.This one has nearly all sides plated over bar end grilles at both ends but is running on 9` pressed steel.I will have a quick look at p.bartletts

photos and see what throws up there.I have seen the one posted on here at bodmin and that is of interest for me too.

So i would still like to obtain the Bachmann ones.

Thanks Again

Thanks again

• 1 month later...

I've just replaced a set of Mk1 bogies on one of my LIMA Siphon G with a Collett 7' that I have developed and 3D printed.  The photograph below shows a compression between the new bogies (left) and the original (right). If anyone is interested it is now available from my Shapeways under my Stafford Road Model Works page. https://www.shapeways.com/product/SUT5JRGJW/gw-7-collett-bogie-lima-fit?optionId=64877661

Replacement Collett 7' Bogie

Edited by 81E
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Have you a product code for these, as i can find all manner of bogies from Bachmann but not these.Are they collett ones as they look slightly different?

Thanks

Sorry for replying so late I missed your post you might have found out by now but this is what you want.

http://www.hattons.co.uk/18792/Bachmann_Branchline_36_010_Pair_of_Collett_bogies/StockDetail.aspx

• RMweb Premium

Better be quick, Less than 10 weeks before he ceases to trade.

Mike Wiltshire

I know Mike, I asked for the Siphon planner over a year ago! And I've just reminded him about an order from last September...

David

• RMweb Premium

Does anyone have a copy of the David Geen Siphon planner that they would be willing to scan and make available?

David Murrell

Yes, I have just scanned it off, I'm not sure I can post them so I am about to send a PM. I will PM Fatadder and dmurrell as well.

• RMweb Premium

What is a Siphon planner please????

Khris

The detailing "kit" that David Geen does covers virtually all the variations for the siphon Gs and the siphon H. So you look on the sheet to decide which one you're going to do and only get the bits for that variation. Saves buying a load of bits that you don't need.

• RMweb Gold

Very interesting as the american bogie would work to mix things up.

I have six lima siphons to bring up to scratch.All will be based around late 70s newspaper traffic br blue.Maybe ETH.As what i remember going pass the warren as a kid.

The Lima Siphon is ostensibly diagram O33 but these did not run on the American bogies (unless you have that photo that shows the exception). They used either the 7ft heavy bogie for the first lot and then 9ft heavy pressed steel bogies according to the Slinn/Clarke book.

I know Mike, I asked for the Siphon planner over a year ago! And I've just reminded him about an order from last September...

David

His wife is having major health issues, the reason he is packing it all in. Orders are only being processed when he is not having to visit doctors and hospitals.

Siphon planner PDF here

Siphon Underframe.pdf

Mike Wiltshire

• RMweb Premium

His wife is having major health issues, the reason he is packing it all in. Orders are only being processed when he is not having to visit doctors and hospitals.

Siphon planner PDF here

attachicon.gifSiphon Underframe.pdf

Mike Wiltshire

Thanks Mike, I'm well aware of his predicament and obviously support his priorities; I have held off contacting him again until now. Thanks very much for posting the Siphon Underframe planner. I will add them to my order and hope for the best. Please pass on my best wishes when you see him next.

David

• 3 months later...

I've just replaced a set of Mk1 bogies on one of my LIMA Siphon G with a Collett 7' that I have developed and 3D printed.  The photograph below shows a compression between the new bogies (left) and the original (right). If anyone is interested it is now available from my Shapeways under my Stafford Road Model Works page. https://www.shapeways.com/product/SUT5JRGJW/gw-7-collett-bogie-lima-fit?optionId=64877661

Trying again with the link for the 7ft bogies to make a diagram O11

https://www.shapeways.com/product/SUT5JRGJW/gwr-7-collett-bogie-lima-fit?optionId=64877661&li=marketplace

• 3 years later...

Onward from the demise of David Geen’s Siphon kit I was able to put together a solution for the lovely Airfix Siphon H body which, with a bit of paint and some renumbering, has turned out quite well. Undergubbins includes the Comet LMS 50’ chassis with bogies re-centred at 35’, MJT 9’ American  bogies and stepboards with Gibson wheels. Eileen supplied the 1.2mm brass angle, while Wizard or MJT (I forget)  supplied the gas tanks and vacuum cylinders, Frogmore the brake rodding cranks, Mainly Trains the brake levers, Slaters the sprung square shank buffers, Rumney the couplings and Lanarkshire the Vacuum and Westinghouse pipes. Consulting the ‘Siphons’ book helped enormously, but in its absence the Airfix underframe is dimensionally OK, just a horrible plastic rendition and so could, I imagine, be used as a reference. So, here it is:868B5F9C-2D9C-4686-9F9A-6F186008C59C.jpeg.2ec9cc1aa556d288855bc2350f22f3cb.jpeg5143D1D8-EB89-4A9B-8104-38446F665EA1.jpeg.16fd5d20c69cd739419effc1c309b15a.jpeg

Best,

Marcus

Edited by EHertsGER
  • Like 12
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I have 3 Siphons, a Lima inside framed G in BR crimson with Pressed Steel bogies from Comet, a Mainline outside framed G in heavily weathered large letter GW livery, with it's orignal bogies, and an Airfix H with American bogies in BR brown livery.  All have replacement cast buffers and have been worked up with separate handrails and the door holes drilled out; they are fine as 'layout' models, and all have responded well to working up.  The Lima especially is transformed by getting rid of the B1 bogies.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I managed to pick up an outside framed Siphon G and 2 outside framed Siphon H's today from a local club railway sale for AUD$45 total (~£24).

I got them home and noticed the underframe and bogies had been replaced on one of the Siphon H's, then realised I'll have to get that one converted back to OO from EM.... Must pay more attention when buying stock! :rolleyes:

They will go well with my 2 inside framed Lima Siphon G's

Mark

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
On 05/09/2017 at 22:32, chrisf said:

There were vans advertising Palethorpes sausages but none was a Siphon G.  The only Palethorpes vans built by the GWR were a couple of six-wheelers, 2801 and 2802.  John Isherwood, aka cctrans, has modelled several Palethorpes vans and I'm sure has written them up on this 'ere forum.

The first lot of inside framed Siphons G, nos. 2051-69, had 7 ft wb bogies.  2070 had 9 ft wb American bogies.  Most of the rest had 9 ft wb pressed steel bogies.

Chris

Can I just test my understanding. For the ex-Lima Siphon G, both the Airfix 7ft (B set) and 9ft (autocoach) bogies are viable swaps, with the longer wheelbase being more common later in life (particularly in the BR Blue era).

How about the dia 062 with drop vents - only the 9ft?

Thanks

Jon

• Informative/Useful 1

Yes but with caveats:

7ft wheelbase for the first lot of 20 to diagram O33 but the last of these was withdrawn in 1966, so doubtful any of these got rail blue.

Mainline/Bachmann style 9ft plate bogies were used on most subsequent builds including all of diagram O62 although the RTR bogie has the longer footsteps used on passenger vehicles but not on the milk vans.

But there’s always the exception to the rule…1332 from O62 had 9ft wheelbase American bogies at one point. And this one survived into the 80s according to Slinn.

Mike

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

I replaced the bogies of my two Lima Siphon Gs with Mainline Collett bogies as I could pop around to the Replica Railways shop in Swindon where Godfrey Hayes had a boxful of bogie frames at £1.50 each he was only too pleased to shift. The 14mm Hornby wheels only just clear the underside of the floor. At the time I also managed to buy some Lima AEC railcar buffers with rectangular shanks as spares (probably from the erstwhile M.B. Models of Nottingham?) to replace the small originals. Probably not entirely accurate but a considerable visual improvement and good enough for me. One has a Blacksmith Models diagram 062 kit applied but all of the shutters are closed as it seemed to me that open ones would require the grilles being set into the bodyside and I couldn't be @r$ed with the drilling and filing...........or did I have that wrong? 

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Mine has 247 Developments bogies on it but the same will apply to rtr bogies. The main challenge is Lima had undersized wheels. I had to drill out the floor to prevent the 14mm wheels rubbing on the floor. I have one with bogies from an Airfix Auto coach. I had to drill out floor as mentioned. Glue a bolt into the bogie mount hold and modify the Airfix bogie to take the smaller bolt with plasticard.

Mike Wiltshire

1936074803_LimaSiphon.JPG.201307ce0ee04efe2f651b827cbbfeb2.JPG

Edited by Coach bogie
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2