LIMA Inside Framed 'Siphon G'. Thoughts on prototype and detailing.

On 03/08/2022 at 11:02, Coach bogie said:

Mine has 247 Developments bogies on it but the same will apply to rtr bogies. The main challenge is Lima had undersized wheels. I had to drill out the floor to prevent the 14mm wheels rubbing on the floor. I have one with bogies from an Airfix Auto coach. I had to drill out floor as mentioned. Glue a bolt into the bogie mount hold and modify the Airfix bogie to take the smaller bolt with plasticard.

Mike Wiltshire

1936074803_LimaSiphon.JPG.201307ce0ee04efe2f651b827cbbfeb2.JPG

Thanks for the advice and the photo. I presume this sort of issue occurs with most Lima coaching stock/NPCCS? I've been looking at their Mk1 BGs too.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Binky said:

Thanks for the advice and the photo. I presume this sort of issue occurs with most Lima coaching stock/NPCCS? I've been looking at their Mk1 BGs too.

The Lima mk1 BG is the wrong length, using as it does the 64' underframe from the rest of the Lima mk 1 range.  Mk1 BGs were 57' vehichles, sharing the underframe from the 57' suburbans and the GUVs.  In order to disguise the discrepancy as best they could, Lima 'stretched' the bodyshell, resulting in incorrect spacing between the doorsets and windows, and incorrect positioning of the ventilators.  The model could be rectified with an extensive amount of cut'n'shutting, or a correct length BG made up from the brake ends of two BSKs, with the passenger sections making an SK, leaving a passenger vestibule and a guard's compartment to landfill.  If this is not an option, my advice would be to go for a Hornby or Bachmann BG, which is the the correct length as supplied.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

13 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

The Lima mk1 BG is the wrong length, using as it does the 64' underframe from the rest of the Lima mk 1 range.  Mk1 BGs were 57' vehichles, sharing the underframe from the 57' suburbans and the GUVs.  In order to disguise the discrepancy as best they could, Lima 'stretched' the bodyshell, resulting in incorrect spacing between the doorsets and windows, and incorrect positioning of the ventilators.  The model could be rectified with an extensive amount of cut'n'shutting, or a correct length BG made up from the brake ends of two BSKs, with the passenger sections making an SK, leaving a passenger vestibule and a guard's compartment to landfill.  If this is not an option, my advice would be to go for a Hornby or Bachmann BG, which is the the correct length as supplied.

There's also the Replica Models bodies:

http://www.replicarailways.co.uk/mainsep1/menuspares

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Which I'd forgotten about, but are a very good low price method of acquiring a scale BG.  B1 and B4 bogies are available from Hornby and Bachmann, and older Triang Hornby/Hornby, Lima, and Mainline are suitable  Even ancient Triang B1s as fitted to the shorty clerestories and 9" coaches are to scale size, if rather crudely detailed; Hornby Dublo's were short in proportion to the coaches.  If they'd made a BG it would have been the correct length, but the bogies would have been too short... 

TTBOMK BGs were never given Commonwealth pattern bogies, but these are available from Bachmann if you need them.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Johnster said:

TTBOMK BGs were never given Commonwealth pattern bogies, but these are available from Bachmann if you need them.

Some did get Commonwealths. Bachmann released their BG with them at one point.

Tim Rogers Image here on RMweb in section 'Out & about by the tracks November 1988 - WFRM - RMweb'

Pasted image as well as link does not appear to work. Copyright as image details below

Mike Wiltshire

https://content-eu.invisioncic.com/y320084/monthly_12_2013/post-2011-0-31963100-1388070213.jpg

post-2011-0-31963100-1388070213.jpg

15 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Which I'd forgotten about, but are a very good low price method of acquiring a scale BG.  B1 and B4 bogies are available from Hornby and Bachmann, and older Triang Hornby/Hornby, Lima, and Mainline are suitable  Even ancient Triang B1s as fitted to the shorty clerestories and 9" coaches are to scale size, if rather crudely detailed; Hornby Dublo's were short in proportion to the coaches.  If they'd made a BG it would have been the correct length, but the bogies would have been too short... 

Hornby-Dublo did do a (correct length)   BG; I've got one which the Reverend painted in blue and grey about 45 years ago. The problem I had with HD coaches was with the 'equalisation' on the bogies. The side-frames were pivoted on the bolster, but they didn't have any way of returning them towards 'level'

On 07/08/2022 at 12:06, Fat Controller said:

The side-frames were pivoted on the bolster, but they didn't have any way of returning them towards 'level'

Not needed, the weight of the coach would put them level when on level track, that's how equalisation works.

• 1 year later...