Splitting an EFE bus

bigal10

Hi Folks,

Can anyone advise me how to take the roof and top deck off on a n EFE Leyland Titan (Todmorden Joint Omnibus)

Don't worry, I'm not a Bus Dismantler, or wrecker (hopefully).

I just want to put a driver, conductor, and some passengers inside.

My Bus has two poles internally, each of which seem to be held in the chassis/floor by a plastic disk with the EFE logo on.

The disks will rotate with a little help from a screwdriver, but they're obviously not threaded, as no movement occurs to the poles.

No matter how I prise with said small screwdriver, the disks refuse to budge.

I don't want to damage any of the model, (other than whatever holds the bus together)

The bus obviously is made in separate pieces, as there is a gap between lower and upper decks, if you pull hard, but so far I've not managed to get the top deck off!

Any advice gratefully received,

Alan.

BURY

Greater Manchester

There are a few ways to dismantle these models.

My favoured method with the double deckers like the PD1, PD2 and RT (amongst others) is to use a centre punch of the same diameter as the poles holding the model together.

• Grip the lower deck somehow - a vice with felt pads, or simply use your knees;

• Tap the poles from below with the centre punch and a small hammer. Don't hit too hard and don't try to do it all in one go or you'll end up with raised 'discs' on the bus roof. Tap one pole a few times, then the other. 

• Repeat.
  • After a few goes, the upper deck should just drop free from the lower deck. Did I mention doing this over a carpet or some soft cloth?

Alternative method:

• Drill a couple of holes in each of the plastic 'top hat' retainers, on either side of the poles.

• Use some long-nosed pliers to extract the retainers.

• The top deck should then lift off.

Some people have used method 1 but with a spring-loaded centre punch.

Method 1 saves the plastic retainers intact for re-use. However, I usually prefer to remove the centre poles altogether and lightly glue the bus back together when I have done with whatever the task was (usually repaints, in my case). I am not a collector, but a modeller so have no interest in retaining the collectible value of my buses.

• Agree 1

You can use a small screwdriver to remove the top deck. Put the screwdriver between the upper and lower deck then twist the screwdriver . I use 2 then work them  round the deck to get them apart. This way you can reuse the plastic lugs if you dont want to remove the poles  Or you can do the same as SR man . I have one in bit's on the work bench . will post pic's if you wish.

I am not a collector, but a modeller so have no interest in retaining the collectible value of my buses.

I think you're probably increasing their value in detailing them! Most EFEs were over-produced in the pre-Frank Joyce era, and I think the bubble had already burst before he threw in the towel (being picked up by Bachmann) and they were stagnating with nothing really new, plus they were starting to cost silly money new for what was just a static model with a toy-shiny finish. Incidentally, on speaking to Frank at shows, he disliked his models being detailed, renumbered or repainted, so... detail away!

The apparent 'value' of most of the ones I have (mint, boxed) seem to be somewhat less than what I paid for them over the years, including the EFE certificated Limited Edition versions. Most ebay prices for some are somewhat hopeful too (not sold, constantly re-listed), but there are some bargains out there too.

Edited by Coppercap
  • Like 1

Wow!

Some interesting replies!

I strongly dislike 'Ghost' vehicles of any type, so would always want to put some people in !

I followed 'SR Man's suggestions and centre-punched the poles (metal, not people from the country ) and it worked well.

I was surprised to find that said poles are attached to the roof, so taking SR Man's advice, decided to snip them off, which left some 10mm or so, dangling, so a bit of Matt black paint made them more or less disappear.

Also surprised to see that the upper deck seating is a 4 seat bench for each row, with a right-hand, low passageway, just like the Ribble 'White Ladies' that I fondly remember from my youth. I used travel from home in Middleton near Manchester to either my Uncle & Aunt in Accrington, or to Blackpool, on holiday.

I've would pay good money for a 'White Lady' model in 00 scale, which completely flies in the face of my rules for not paying the ridiculous prices that some sellers now think are appropriate !

Cheers,

Alan.

• Like 1

I've would pay good money for a 'White Lady' model in 00 scale, which completely flies in the face of my rules for not paying the ridiculous prices that some sellers now think are appropriate !

Cheers,

Alan.

TINY kit TK5 would probably suit you. Long sold out. Photo in the Model Kit section on the Model Bus Zone website, under the TINY Bus and Coach kits subsection. http://www.modelbuszone.co.uk

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
8 hours ago, Graham1960 said:

Here's one I did earlier.

I have four more to do. I am currently recruiting for 4 legless bus drivers and 3 conductors! There's apparently a shortage of crews just like in real life. With 6 Langley Crew going for £15 I am not surprised!!

I have got some work to do on the route numbers still!  

I really must take exception to the condition of the drivers. They should not be allowed to drive legless; there are laws about that!! :jester::jester:

• Funny 1