Teaky's attic

teaky

• RMweb Gold

Only 9?  Pah!

I'll top that next Tuesday with 21 of 200 x 75mm floor joists and 30 of 150 x 75mm rafters.  :beee:

In this case it is costed into the job though.  Perhaps I'd better have the smelling salts ready for the builder?

When I was figuring out which parts of this conversion I would do myself I estimated the floor joists would weigh around 40kg each.  For a moment I thought OK but then realised I'd have to carry all of them up two storeys and quickly put them on the list for the team of builders.

Mine are JJI's to get the span, they're 225 with 75x40 chords top and bottom.  9x2" would be more than sufficient but you can't get much above 5.4M, the silly thing is the existing are 3" x1.5". This is just the ceiling in the bedsit. The conversion has 3 new floors to go in so I'll probably hit £4k easily........I have a medical booked for shortly after delivery.

... and sparkies NEVER tidy up as they go along.....

That's because they're Prima Donnas, the only brushes they have are for either make up, or hair.

• RMweb Gold

Teaky,, just wait till the plasterers arrive... and sparkies NEVER tidy up as they go along.....

Our loft conversion was finished 4 years ago and still looks good.

Problem is I have been reminded that I need to build the layout now..but a full repaint is required first...

Baz

The sparky on this one will be me, so it will be tidy 'cos I'm like that.

I read an interesting book by George Clarke (the one off the TV) a few years ago who said that if you want see the definition of "reluctance" try asking the builders to tidy up at the end of the day, especially on a Friday.

• RMweb Gold

Mine are JJI's to get the span, they're 225 with 75x40 chords top and bottom.  9x2" would be more than sufficient but you can't get much above 5.4M, the silly thing is the existing are 3" x1.5". This is just the ceiling in the bedsit. The conversion has 3 new floors to go in so I'll probably hit £4k easily........I have a medical booked for shortly after delivery.

That's because they're Prima Donnas, the only brushes they have are for either make up, or hair.

What is scary is that the cost of large timbers means that any little off cuts (triangular pieces from the ends of rafters for example) can actually be costed in £s.

Hmmm, I wonder if I should make something out of them?  :jester:

• RMweb Gold

I warned you!

237139625_scaffolding21.JPG.13a6497121a55b4be2f91672b98489ad.JPG406685265_scaffolding11.JPG.9d7a4435b279c99d1582a1ce1c1316df.JPG

The scaffolder hasn't returned today, so I expect he'll be back on Monday to finish.

There may also be a few adjustments to the first photo because the builder will be putting his Genie lift somewhere near this corner in order to get the steel beams up.

Edited by teaky
Re-adding photos.

• RMweb Gold

I need your advice please.

How many brownie points will I need to cash in for this?

My wife is out and I thought I'd make a start on what will be the bottom of the stairs to the loft.

2031300452_ac21.JPG.e3dfe35f754994c7f4f751098fac8041.JPG104283055_ac11.JPG.15df5c5dc1729eef1a1a0a750a178ae9.JPG

Do you think she'll notice anything when she gets back?

Edited by teaky
Re-adding photos.

• RMweb Premium

My wife is out and I thought I'd make a start on what will be the bottom of the stairs to the loft.

attachicon.gifac2.JPG

attachicon.gifac1.JPG

Small earthquake in Worcs. No injuries reported.

• RMweb Gold

attachicon.gifac2.JPG

attachicon.gifac1.JPG

Either lift a floorboard and sweep it under or throw a rug over it.

Scatter cushions work well in living room and bedrooms.

Edited by chris p bacon

• RMweb Gold

I lived to tell the tale.

I filled a huge plastic sack with most of the debris and took it outside, and was just vacuuming the last of dust from the edge of the carpet when she walked through the door.  Phew!

Brownie points balance unaffected.

Since it is now after 16:00 here and that is the traditional time for workmen to down tools I'm going to quit whilst I'm ahead.

• RMweb Gold

All go here, I'm pleased to say.

Three builders and scaffolding team were all here by 08:30.

My guess is that the scaffolders will have their work completed by lunchtime.

The builders have already made a hole in the roof so they can get themselves and their gear in.  I have to confess there's something slightly disconcerting about standing upstairs and hearing someone sawing above your head.  I couldn't help but be reminded of one of those Roadrunner cartoons.  :scared: :jester:

They have now started to cut channels for the steel 'padstones' to be inserted into.  Imagine going to the dentist for a filling and finding he's plugged his drill into an amplifier and you should get an idea of the noise.  This is probably the noisiest part of the whole job.

It's quite exciting to have things get underway properly.  :locomotive:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Plenty of dust, too!

Not much so far.  I think it is helping that the builders went in directly through the roof and the loft hatch has remained shut.  No doubt there's plenty of dust in the loft itself where they have been cutting holes but it is contained.

I'll check what they've done once they finish for the day and see how much debris has been left.

• RMweb Gold

This is probably the noisiest part of the whole job.

Probably not.....if they've got a chemmie toilet (A Turdis) just wait for the cacophony to start. Most in the trade have various 'Fart Apps' on the phone. all used to good effect.**

I'll check what they've done once they finish for the day and see how much debris has been left.

I wouldn't .....especially if you're prone to crying when you realise how much your house cost...

** I used mine in Heathrow term 5 toilets  .....there's quite an echo..

Edited by chris p bacon

• RMweb Gold

Well, I completely ignored Chris P Bacon's advice and ventured into the loft.  No tears were shed.

A lot tidier than I expected.  Apart from four holes in the inner block work of course.

1703538284_padstone1.JPG.f85cc4e47ac7286763b80e772d87ed90.JPG

Despite my poor photography you can see the steel 'padstone' at the bottom on which the steel beam will rest.

I also couldn't resist climbing up the ladder outside and walking around the house at gutter level.  Quite interesting.  I'll have to pop up there later in the week and pay more attention to the views.  It gives an idea of what the view will be like once the windows are in.

Clearing out the gutters this year will be a piece of cake.

Edited by teaky
Re-adding photos.
  • Like 3