Teaky's attic

teaky

• RMweb Gold

Also in shot in the pictures above is one of two armchairs from which I removed the legs and fitted rubber tyred castors.  The idea is that I can continue my armchair modelling have a reasonable seating height but maximise the layout width (i.e. the lower the layout, the more it can be pushed out towards the eaves).

I have also floored the front eaves storage and put in some lighting.

• RMweb Gold

Let there be dark!

I have collected and fitted the blinds.

attachicon.gifblinds open.JPG attachicon.gifblinds closed.JPG

Picture quality isn't great because I simply set the camera to high sensitivity but I'm sure you get the idea.  There is a very small amount of light leakage at the bottom corners but this is indirect light and doesn't put bright spots onto the floor so the layout should be protected.

The artistically placed accent armchair in the empty room makes the pair of photos look like a 3D rendering lighting demonstration.

Edited by Harlequin

• RMweb Gold

The artistically placed accent armchair in the empty room makes the pair of photos look like a 3D rendering lighting demonstration.

Are you not troubled by how the disjunctive perturbation of the biomorphic forms spatially undermines the substructure of critical thinking?

Are you not troubled by how the disjunctive perturbation of the biomorphic forms spatially undermines the substructure of critical thinking?

I believe that this is a fine illustration of the fact that the ambient lighting, viewed in conjunction with the delineation of the rooms fixtures and fittings provokes a feeling of righteousness and the general feeling that all is one with the universe......

On the other hand it could mean that Feng Shui is a load of old b@llards.....

• RMweb Gold

I believe that this is a fine illustration of the fact that the ambient lighting, viewed in conjunction with the delineation of the rooms fixtures and fittings provokes a feeling of righteousness and the general feeling that all is one with the universe......

On the other hand it could mean that Feng Shui is a load of old b@llards.....

I'll have to remember that the next time I bump my head.

• RMweb Gold

Gripfill does the trick with that, just don't scratch your b*llocks with it on your fingers.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

No.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
On 03/08/2018 at 18:53, Worsdell forever said:

I'm troubled that there's not a table to put me beer glass on...

Not only is there now a table but its height is adjustable.  :boast:

2093410734_desk1.JPG.d8dc8c6494c9ec4f930f4164d26ba007.JPG

In the background you can also see my collection of books and magazines which I have moved into the attic together with the strategic reserve which is at the other end of the room in a pile so large it's a little scary.  I know I'm not alone in this but how many of you have seen your roundtuit all in one place?

There will now be a pause for a while as I complete the refurbishment of our study prior to my wife taking it over.  (I won't posting any of that on here though.  I'm sure you've had enough of decorating for now.)

Edited by teaky
Re-adding photos.
  • Like 5

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

It's nice to be missed.

The study refurb was completed a while ago and Lady Teaky is tucked away in there.

Other distractions are currently causing delay.  I have been decorating the hall, stairs and landing.  This may not sound like a lengthy task but it includes painting the bannisters which were previously varnished.  I have completed three coats and I still keep spotting bits I have missed!  Mind numbing.  I'm starting to understand why people in the 1970s boxed them in.

Our youngest son, who moved out whilst the loft conversion work was underway, split up with his girlfriend and has moved back home.  So we are now also redecorating the second bedroom so that he can have a larger room.

Then the smaller bedrooms will need redecorating in order to provide guest accommodation.

The garage door has given up the ghost too.  It needs two new springs which are £150 each which I cannot justify for a door that is no longer used to access a garage.  I converted the garage a few years ago and the front section is basically a posh shed now.  I can open the door but it makes a right racket and needs propping once open.  Fine for me but too heavy for my wife.  I'll have to sort something out soon.

There are other distractions.  Our eldest son has embarked on a career as a (motoring) journalist along with his best mate who is a talented photographer.  I'm quite impressed with their output thus far, some of which can be found here if anyone is interested.  As part of this he has managed to talk car manufacturers into loaning cars.  The snag is that the manufacturers' insurance is only valid for 25 year olds and above.  This week I am being forced to drive around in a bright red 306BHP Honda Civic Type R GT.  It's such a chore.  :senile:

Just life getting in the way really.  No complaints.  Others have things going on in their lives which make all the above trivial.  I hope to do some model railway related work at some point.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Rob what’s the latest?

Missing the updates.

Must be baseboards done by now!

Hope the shunting plank has found a new home?

Just started following Al on his attic project https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/142068-wigan-north-westernish-loft-layout-modern-image/&tab=comments#comment-3463638

Not to detract from your topic but your followers maybe interested?

looking forward to more,

Cheers

Ade

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 11/02/2019 at 22:05, AdeMoore said:

Rob what’s the latest?

Missing the updates.

Must be baseboards done by now!

Hope the shunting plank has found a new home?

Just started following Al on his attic project https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/142068-wigan-north-westernish-loft-layout-modern-image/&tab=comments#comment-3463638

Not to detract from your topic but your followers maybe interested?

looking forward to more,

Cheers

Ade

Sorry Ade, I completely missed your post.  I blame the new forum s/w - it's getting there but I'm still missing a few posts on threads I'm interested in.

Nothing to report though, I'm afraid.  I have been distracted by decorating, Christmas, family stuff and gardening, and have not made any progress on the layout beyond playing around with plans. So, no baseboards built, although I have bought some of the fittings I'll need for them (bolts, adjustable feet etc.).

The shunting plank has found a new home and was collected by Del yesterday.  Hopefully, he will start a new thread as he brings it up to scratch.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

I nearly bought some plywood today!

I spoke to the supplier a few weeks ago and established what I needed, prices etc.  I called them this afternoon to place an order only to find that everything currently in stock which fitted my requirements (assorted thicknesses of birch plywood) was from Russia.  Can't bring myself to buy this.  The search continues.

(I've been running my own mini boycott for several years now ever since they invaded their neighbours, poisoned people in the UK etc. etc.  TBH it hasn't been difficult since the only Russian product I used to buy was vodka.  I doubt I've had much impact on the regime.)

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, teaky said:

I nearly bought some plywood today!

I spoke to the supplier a few weeks ago and established what I needed, prices etc.  I called them this afternoon to place an order only to find that everything currently in stock which fitted my requirements (assorted thicknesses of birch plywood) was from Russia.  Can't bring myself to buy this.  The search continues.

(I've been running my own mini boycott for several years now ever since they invaded their neighbours, poisoned people in the UK etc. etc.  TBH it hasn't been difficult since the only Russian product I used to buy was vodka.  I doubt I've had much impact on the regime.)

Nicely done, sir!

Not sure of the relative prices but the Latvians are big producers of Birch ply and there are various importers in the UK. Search for "Riga Ply" and you'll find both.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Latvian plywood ordered.  I negotiated a reasonable deal but the compromise is that I don't have a specific delivery date but "next week" is fine with me.  :dance_mini:

Now then.  Time to get all those jobs done around the house and garden that would interfere with wood butchering.

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Short answer

Johnsons.  Delivery £48 including vat.

Long-winded answer

Lathams came close but in the end I went with Johnsons, a local(ish) independent timber merchant in Birmingham.

Lathams have several branches in the UK.  Tip: if you phone them for prices, get someone else to phone on another day perhaps describing the project as 'shelving' and take the person's name each time, that way you will get more than one price.  I have spoken to them three times in total.  The first time the prices seemed OK, the second time I was steered towards revealing the prices I had been quoted previously and the chap said he could honour those which immediately aroused my suspicion (cynic that I am)!  The third time the prices went down quite a bit for Russian boards and up only a touch for Latvian.

Johnsons had already quoted me fractionally lower prices so I went back to them to see what they could offer.  Lathams offer free delivery on orders over £500+vat but Johnsons wanted £40+vat - not excessive at approx. £1/mile for the round trip.  I was only interested in the final price and would have gone with Johnsons if they had budged a little.  In the end they offered free delivery as long as I wasn't in a rush and if it could be using a Sprinter van rather than a truck with a Hiab.  No problem for me since I can be in to receive the order and I am able to assist with unloading.

There was another company called CBJ Ltd. in Essex who are open enough to put their prices online but in the end I didn't speak to them because i) they are on holiday at the moment (although there's a 10% discount if you order), ii) they only do what I want in 3 x 1.5m sheets and iii) I have no idea what their delivery charges are.

I can't remember the others I spoke to but there are several who only supply to the trade in larger quantities and others whose prices are laughably high.

The way to make real savings is to get enough people together to be able to buy 100 sheets direct from any one of several UK docks!  :rolleyes:

Of course, I won't actually see what I've ordered until sometime next week.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3