Teaky's attic

teaky

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Worsdell forever said:

You're gonna have to build a storage unit to keep this lot in next...

Ah, you appear to be assuming that I do not already have a cunning plan. :paint:

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I spent a useful couple of hours earlier sorting & tidying the garage loft.  It is now looking more like a storage area than a near inaccessible dumping ground.

I found a few model railway items that I thought were there but just couldn't remember which box they were in.  Amongst them was a large 850g cannister of Badger Mogramair airbrush propellant.  The price sticker says £3.62 Ashton Model Supplies.  This is partly used and has the airbrush valve fitting screwed into the top.  It feels slightly over 3/4 full.  It hasn't been touched for 39 years!  I'm amazed it hasn't leaked away.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

Hi Rob.

With all the innovative gadgets you have built, I'm hoping you wont mind accommodating  Sasquatch in Teaky's attic as well. :biggrin_mini2:

No problem Shaun.  Welcome aboard the slowest layout thread on RMweb.

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, teaky said:

No problem Shaun.  Welcome aboard the slowest layout thread on RMweb.

Don't be too  sure about that. It took me a year to get the ballast down on Queensbury!

A snail passed me the other day and I nearly caught a cold from the draft.

Edited by Sasquatch
Procrasinated too long and timed out.
  • Funny 6

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I found some softer foam and used it to modify the mounting of the paint shaker to allow it to wobble more.  I also turned the motor through 90° for additional wobble.  After digging out a few tinlets of enamel and trying them this has definitely helped.  However, I am not totally convinced.  The lumpier paints needed a brief stir to ensure the lumps were small enough to move around freely and even once everything appeared fully stirred I still found myself using the old small screwdriver I use for mixing by hand to check there were no lumps left.  I have a feeling I may still use the mixer but more for 'maintaining' paints rather than 'restoring' older ones.

Here's a photo of the modfied set up.

791800643_workbenchpaintmixer2.JPG.c5b4aa1f0e35b97cf12973bcce0ac6ff.JPG

It is my intention to standardise on acrylics for most tasks.  It may be that the shaker copes with these better but I don't have any that have settled out to test with.

The photo above also includes a modified milk frother.  This stirs the paint well but doesn't have the strength to loosen too much solid paint if it has settled a lot.

There we have it.  Both stirrers work but neither is as versatile as an old screwdriver.

Edited by teaky
Re-adding photos.
  • Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, chris p bacon said:

Yeh...and I bet it was manna...:D

Yes, it was.  So much for my attempt at some mild humour. :rolleyes:  I think Manna may have got it though.

I ordered a 10ml bottle last night, so when it arrives I will test it on a particularly crusty tinlet of Humbrol enamel.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

The eucalyptus oil arrived yesterday so I gave it a try on a few old tinlets.

The particularly crusty one proved too much of a challenge.  Several drops of oil turned the contents into something with a similar consistency to warm Blu Tack which seemed promising but, not wanting to use up too much of my new purchase, I then added some white spirit and have not been able to improve on a rather grainy mixture.  Tinlet written off.

Some other tinlets of varying ages (several branded Airfix!) have come out very well using 3 or 4 drops of eucalyptus and nothing else.

It would be wrong to say that this is statistically significant but I will definitely be reaching for the eucalyptus oil as a first option from now on whenever I need to improve the consistency of old enamel paints.  Thanks Manna.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 5

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 16/11/2020 at 06:47, teaky said:

I found some softer foam and used it to modify the mounting of the paint shaker to allow it to wobble more.  I also turned the motor through 90° for additional wobble.  After digging out a few tinlets of enamel and trying them this has definitely helped.  However, I am not totally convinced.  The lumpier paints needed a brief stir to ensure the lumps were small enough to move around freely and even once everything appeared fully stirred I still found myself using the old small screwdriver I use for mixing by hand to check there were no lumps left.  I have a feeling I may still use the mixer but more for 'maintaining' paints rather than 'restoring' older ones.

Here's a photo of the modfied set up.

1413047504_workbenchpaintmixer2.JPG.7622d61c6e2782edc3de01b99a29740c.JPG

It is my intention to standardise on acrylics for most tasks.  It may be that the shaker copes with these better but I don't have any that have settled out to test with.

The photo above also includes a modified milk frother.  This stirs the paint well but doesn't have the strength to loosen too much solid paint if it has settled a lot.

There we have it.  Both stirrers work but neither is as versatile as an old screwdriver.

Due to the wimpy  regime of postal unions I was forced to use acrylic paint (for most applications), which is nontoxic, comes in 100s more colours and is one tenth of the price!   Admittedly some of the half used ones have dried up somewhat after 10 years but at 25-99 cent each it's no loss!  Incidentally the older Humbrol railway enamels  are still good after 35 years but the ones I brought 2 years ago have found their way into the trash already.

Regards Shaun.

• Informative/Useful 3