Teaky's attic

teaky

• RMweb Gold

He left just over an hour ago.  He has completed one of the sloping ceiling faces together with the low vertical eaves wall at the base and the three window reveals.

Although I was a little surprised that he left so early in the day, I can see why he didn't make a start on the other side and he did work almost solidly for around seven hours so he put in a decent shift.  I'm happy with the workmanship.  A nice smooth finish.  There are one or two tiny blemishes in a couple of the window reveals but since he hasn't finished yet they'll more than likely be sorted at some point.

I'm expecting it to take three days now rather than the original estimate of two plus some possible overrun, but that's hardly a problem and I don't care if the workmanship is good.

:)

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Oh, and judging by the rubbish bag he seems to survive a whole day on five energy drinks!

So common these days it seems.  It can't be healthy.

• RMweb Gold

Although I was a little surprised that he left so early in the day, I can see why he didn't make a start on the other side 

The problem with plastering is he could have done one side and finished it in 2 hours, then started the other and it take 5 hours if the skim doesn't 'go off'.  The general rule is that if it's walls and ceilings then very little skim gets put on after 2.45-3pm especially in the winter months. 

Andy who does mine leaves all the small window reveals to do at the end of the day, but you don't really have many of those.

• RMweb Gold

Hmmm.

Off to a flying start I thought when the plasterer arrived at 07:40.  No, it was because he had to finish by 12:00 today.  (Only a one-lucozade day.)

He completed the second sloping ceiling face but this time the base wall and window reveals have not been done.

He has promised to do a "full day tomorrow" so we'll see whether that's enough to get things finished.  That would seem like a tall order but then I know next to nothing about plastering.  Perhaps the fact that most of the remaining areas are vertical will make it all faster?

Remaining work: base wall, window reveals, central ceiling fiddly bit, flue boxing, two end walls, balustrade surrounding the stairwell, the tall inner sides of the stairwell itself, underneath the stairs in both built-in wardrobes.

• RMweb Gold

Remaining work: base wall, window reveals, central ceiling fiddly bit, flue boxing, two end walls, balustrade surrounding the stairwell, the tall inner sides of the stairwell itself, underneath the stairs in both built-in wardrobes.

Thats a tall order, It's quite possible to get a lot done though so he should be near enough done.

If he's not got anything personal to deal with, My guess is a job that was held up is now screaming to proceed so he's keeping them quiet. It's a real juggling act sometimes.

• RMweb Gold

I'm expecting some overrun into Friday unless he works late.

He "has to pick something up" apparently.

It isn't going to affect things significantly and I can hardly complain given all the prevaricating I've done myself prior to this stage.

As long as the main room is finished and starting to dry out that's the main thing.  Though the stairwell too would be good as I would then be able, following painting, to complete the electrics and the handrails.

Of course, Sod's Law dictates that I will be half a bag of plaster short and only discover this at the last moment.  :jester:

On the bright side, the plaster is drying nicely and starting to show significant pink patches amongst the damp brown.  The weather may be helping here by being warm but, shall we say, moist.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I'm expecting some overrun into Friday unless he works late.

He "has to pick something up" apparently.

It isn't going to affect things significantly and I can hardly complain given all the prevaricating I've done myself prior to this stage.

As long as the main room is finished and starting to dry out that's the main thing.  Though the stairwell too would be good as I would then be able, following painting, to complete the electrics and the handrails.

Of course, Sod's Law dictates that I will be half a bag of plaster short and only discover this at the last moment.  :jester:

On the bright side, the plaster is drying nicely and starting to show significant pink patches amongst the damp brown.  The weather may be helping here by being warm but, shall we say, moist.

Warm and moist......have not experinced that for many years.

Ar$£

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Well, we're getting there.  He left at around 16:00.

Still left to do: balustrade, stairwell, underneath the stairs in both built-in wardrobes and some small areas on my snagging list (though he may already have these on his own list).

Another half a day I reckon but some of the work is a bit fiddly so possibly a little longer.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Aaargh!

I was coping with the naff local radio music for the last couple of days but this morning has just plumbed the depths - Karma Chameleon.

I may have been over optimistic with the half day remaining estimate.  He has said he needs more plaster (one, possibly two bags) and when I asked how soon he said three or four hours.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

I saw that one coming!  Asked at around 13:30 if I wanted him to finish today or come back tomorrow morning to complete the two wardrobes, I opted for today.  17:20 he wanted to charge me for 1.5 days for today.  My brain said "on yer bike".  My mouth was more diplomatic.  I've paid for 3.5 days which I think is OK, particularly in the light of his initial estimate being 2.0 to 3.0 days.

The work is fine, or will be once I clean up.  I'll bore you with photos later.  Where's that wine?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I saw that one coming!  Asked at around 13:30 if I wanted him to finish today or come back tomorrow morning to complete the two wardrobes, I opted for today.  17:20 he wanted to charge me for 1.5 days for today.  My brain said "on yer bike".  My mouth was more diplomatic.  I've paid for 3.5 days which I think is OK, particularly in the light of his initial estimate being 2.0 to 3.0 days.

The work is fine, or will be once I clean up.  I'll bore you with photos later.  Where's that wine?

My dad discovered many years ago that plasterers are a law unto themselves, it's one job he would never tackle himself, apart from around replacement windows he'd put in but never full walls, but luckily he found a good (very good) one and stuck with him, waiting if necessary. A plasterers day is usually a short one but it's all about timing to get the finish just right, if they go on and on the last bit will end up rushed with a rough or wavy finish.  

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

My dad discovered many years ago that plasterers are a law unto themselves, it's one job he would never tackle himself, apart from around replacement windows he'd put in but never full walls, but luckily he found a good (very good) one and stuck with him, waiting if necessary. A plasterers day is usually a short one but it's all about timing to get the finish just right, if they go on and on the last bit will end up rushed with a rough or wavy finish.  

I have no problem accepting the timing element.  He finished at what I would consider mid afternoon on Tuesday and Thursday and did a half day on Wednesday.  I just felt that it ought to have balanced out and a couple of hour extra today did not constitute a further half day.

What I also noticed today was that he found time for a some short breaks to have a smoke and to eat lunch so presumably I was wrong about him only surviving on energy drinks.  All perfectly reasonable but I just thought asking for 1.5 days for today was taking the proverbial.  He accepted my objection very quickly so I suspect he may have known he was trying it on.

Plus, I didn't have to resort to claiming a discount for the mental trauma of enduring Culture Club, Human League and Cher!  :scared:

• RMweb Gold

Think a bit of a cheek, didn't he only work till 12 on Wednesday?

Yes he did but that's where the 0.5 comes from in the 3.5 days total (Tuesday + 0.5 Wednesday + Thursday + Friday).  The cheek really comes for trying to claim that today (08:55 to 17:20) was 1.5 days.

Anyway, no big deal.  We didn't have a row and parted with a smile and handshake and wishing each other a good weekend.

• RMweb Gold

Right then.  I promised to bore you with some photos of plaster and I'd hate to disappoint.  :jester:

85697833_plaster_stairs1.JPG.891ff0890245618b46d1366c82b4a5cb.JPG68259839_plaster_room_11.JPG.20882b7a4192e830d3f0d5165139df64.JPG1656787681_plaster_room_21.JPG.f232c69928139d0f7e712873329de75b.JPG

As you can see it is already drying nicely.  In fact it will probably be ready for a mist coat before I have done all the things on my to do list (not all loft related).

Edited by teaky
Re-adding photos.
  • Like 6