Teaky's attic

teaky

• RMweb Premium

I have just renamed the topic slightly.  Now that it feels much more like a proper room "attic" seems more appropriate than "loft".  Trivial I know but there you go.

Very good. I look forward to the day when it changes again, to Teaky's Layout.

• RMweb Premium

Followed your progress with interest Teaky. 

I think you are doing the right thing; getting the environment in which to build a layout right from the start is important. I think you have made a cracking job of that loft conversion, lets you concentrate on the layout build without worrying about the space in which it sits. 

• RMweb Gold

Northroader - You were correct, wasps are "persistent little b******s".  I was up early yesterday to put some sealant along the edge of the porch ceiling.  That worked for most of the day.  By late afternoon though they had found the tiniest of holes at the front, just behind the guttering.  So I disconnected the gutter and slid it along in preparation for some further sealant early this morning.  So far, so good but we'll have to see if it lasts.  I am particularly (and pleasantly) surprised at how unaggressive they have been.  :triniti:

NHY 581 - No doubt you'll be relieved to see my avatar changed back a few minutes after the orange comb over left the UK.  :stinker:

I have managed some further work though: the skirting boards are cut, fitted, filled and sanded.  I'll run a little caulk around the top edge tomorrow and I should get the painting finished later in the week.  ;)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Enjoyed reading the 18 pages so far.

Looking forward to more.

Subscribed.

Cheers

Ade

Thanks Ade.  Welcome aboard.  You've missed most of it though.  I don't expect what's left to take much longer.  Complete by the end of this month at worst.

• RMweb Gold

Only token progress but progress nevertheless.  Skirting boards caulked and undercoat applied to the caulk and patches where the skirting had been sanded down.  Gloss tomorrow.

The caulking gun has also been put to use on the porch again.  Loaded with frame sealant it was used to seal the other end of the porch roof where the buzzing blighters had found another way in.  Some of the gaps at the mortar joints in the brickwork were just large enough for a wasp to squeeze through.  Not any more though!

• RMweb Gold

Skirting now painted.

post-9672-0-04178900-1531995203.jpg

A little cleaning up to be done later when everything is dry and that's the end of the decorating.  :danced:

I ordered some blinds for the roof windows earlier today and these are due next week.

Part P electrical test is arranged for next week too.

Yet to arrange: final inspection from Building Control.

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold
On 08/09/2017 at 10:37, manna said:

G'Day Gents

Nice roof, it'll look better when there's a railway filling it.

manna

Here you go Manna.  Obviously, there is still the scenery to add.

659463175_train1.JPG.539b11fdba91fa32f275cf294028ed71.JPG

Edited by teaky
Re-adding photos.
  • Like 4
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

That bridge needs weathering- if you ask your local chimney sweep for some soot you could rub some above the arch

Thanks.  Sound advice SP1.  I'll add it to the "to do" list for when I do the scenery.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Building Control approval received.  :locomotive:

I just have to send them the Part P electrical certificate (the electrician is due tomorrow) and they will send me an approval certificate.

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Part P electrical test complete.  I should have the certificate later this week which I will forward to Building Control for completeness.  (This was supposed to be a condition to be met before they sent me the Completion Certificate but that turned up via email yesterday afternoon.  Crossed wires, I think.)

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
On 18/07/2018 at 19:54, teaky said:

What could possibly go wrong?!

attachicon.gifreg.jpg

The answer is ...

It's OK, I still have all my fingers.  The blinds turned up but were slightly too short.  It seems the blind manufacturers (and I have now checked with several of them) haven't kept up with the full range of windows available which means that entering a window code doesn't necessarily generate an order for the correct size blinds.  The uPVC windows I chose have a slightly larger visible glass area (same width but +35mm on the height in this case) than the wooden framed windows.

All in the process of being sorted.  The original blinds are due to be collected by a courier some time today and I have sourced some of the correct size.  Not a major problem, although they are more expensive, but I'm not going have them fitted by the end of the month.  Still, there's no layout for them to protect yet so it doesn't matter.

Edited by teaky
Typo

• RMweb Gold

Talking of layouts Teakers, what does one have in mind for said lofty space?

Rob.

Building Control approval received.  :locomotive:

I just have to send them the Part P electrical certificate (the electrician is due tomorrow) and they will send me an approval certificate.

Rob, may I ask how your experience with your local Building Control went ?

Did you find the Inspectors / Surveyors helpful during inspections ?

Grahame

• RMweb Premium

Grahame

That's a loaded question!

• RMweb Gold

Grahame

They were helpful, willing to answer questions and provided clear answers.  The experience this time around was not as good as on previous jobs though.  I am putting this down to a change of personnel.  Previously the same inspector covered my locality (he happens to live a few streets away) but he retired not long after he visited for a kind of pre-inspection chat before I started any work.  The current approach, which from what I can tell is what happens elsewhere in the UK, results in a different inspector each time and a small loss of continuity since the inspectors probably don't talk to each other and just rely on notes placed on the system.

• RMweb Gold

Talking of layouts Teakers, what does one have in mind for said lofty space?

Rob.

Something main line and 1930s LNER, so you may as well stop following now Rob as you won't like it.  :jester:

I have lots of ideas sloshing around in my head but nothing firm yet.  I think it will be a layout without a station i.e. a roundy roundy, but I need to consider operational interest.

I think I've decided on layout height and the approach to baseboard construction.  I know what track I am going to use and, in fact, I already have it in store: hand built copper clad points and SMP bullhead track.

There are some things I want to avoid like trains running from straights into too tight curves so I'll be planning in ways to disguise these kind of things.

Other than a very basic double track oval and s couple of small shunting layouts built for my sons when they were younger and utilising a stock of 1970s set track, I have never built a layout before so it will be a challenge in lots of ways.  All part of the fun though.  I have built kits of buildings and rolling stock and I find virtually all aspects of railway modelling interesting so I will just have to plod my way along and, I hope, enjoy the ride.  (Apart from ballasting.  I'm not looking forward to ballasting.)

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Let there be dark!

I have collected and fitted the blinds.

1385217562_blinds_open1.JPG.3f3a673e071f4091cddbfe62e4cac8d0.JPG1170327627_blinds_closed1.JPG.642e6fe072b794c981fbdd711d7244fc.JPG

Picture quality isn't great because I simply set the camera to high sensitivity but I'm sure you get the idea.  There is a very small amount of light leakage at the bottom corners but this is indirect light and doesn't put bright spots onto the floor so the layout should be protected.

Edited by teaky
Re-adding photos.
  • Like 4