Jump to content

Recommended Posts

:dance_mini: Plywood has arrived at Teaky Towers.

  • Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, chris p bacon said:

It wasn't delivered by a botoxed bloke on a motorbike wearing leather trousers by chance?

I thought you were too busy to be out doing deliveries?

  • Funny 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 01/08/2019 at 08:57, Harlequin said:

Can we ask who you bought from, in the end? And were the delivery costs reasonable or ridiculous?

 

In case you're interested Phil.  I queried some details via email not long after delivery and amongst the documentation supplied as part of the answer it seems that, in order to satisfy my request for non-Russian FSC plywood, Johnsons placed a special order and the plywood came from Latham's.

  • Informative/Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will be using hand built points and SMP track.  For rail joints I intend to use the nice PECO bullhead fishplates and Peco N gauge ones in the hidden areas.  In the past I have only used Hornby set track and Peco Streamline code 100 where the choice of fishplates was simple.  What do people use with bullhead rail where an insulated break is required?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, teaky said:

I will be using hand built points and SMP track.  For rail joints I intend to use the nice PECO bullhead fishplates and Peco N gauge ones in the hidden areas.  In the past I have only used Hornby set track and Peco Streamline code 100 where the choice of fishplates was simple.  What do people use with bullhead rail where an insulated break is required?

Rob, I use Peco code 75 00 fishplates if there is enough room or N gauge ones if things are a bit tight. You have to be careful they don't slip off the foot of the rail when laying the track. Once it's all in place they're fine.

 

A good alternative for metal fishplates in the hidden areas, if you can find any, are Minitrix N gauge ones, which have an upstanding flange that sits nicely in the web of the rail.

  • Informative/Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Rob, I use Peco code 75 00 fishplates if there is enough room or N gauge ones if things are a bit tight. You have to be careful they don't slip off the foot of the rail when laying the track. Once it's all in place they're fine.

 

A good alternative for metal fishplates in the hidden areas, if you can find any, are Minitrix N gauge ones, which have an upstanding flange that sits nicely in the web of the rail.

I have just found that Gaugemaster sell the Minitrix fishplates but they are relatively pricey compared to the Peco ones and I'll need lots.  If the standard Peco code 75 fishplates work for you then I'll go with those for the hidden areas because they will be easier to fit.  Thanks.

  • Informative/Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, teaky said:

I have just found that Gaugemaster sell the Minitrix fishplates but they are relatively pricey compared to the Peco ones and I'll need lots.  If the standard Peco code 75 fishplates work for you then I'll go with those for the hidden areas because they will be easier to fit.  Thanks.

Fair enough. I bought a load years ago so I haven't kept in touch with current prices.

 

To be clear, my first paragraph referred to insulating fishplates not metal ones.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, teaky said:

I will be using hand built points and SMP track.  [snip]  What do people use with bullhead rail where an insulated break is required?

It's a shame the Peco don't yet produce anything so how about 3D printing yourself a set?

 

I.e. Make a model that matches the Peco product, including boltheads and whatever other details you want, combine a number of them onto a sprue and send it off to Shapeways to be printed.

 

???

 

Edited by Harlequin
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Fair enough. I bought a load years ago so I haven't kept in touch with current prices.

 

To be clear, my first paragraph referred to insulating fishplates not metal ones.

Ah, good job you clarified that.  I had misread it.  Thanks.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

It's a shame the Peco don't yet produce anything so how about 3D printing yourself a set?

 

I.e. Make a model that matches the Peco product, including boltheads and whatever other details you want, combine a number of them onto a sprue and send it off to Shapeways to be printed.

 

???

 

I think Ambis have done that already.

 

3 minutes ago, Paul Cram said:

Ambis do 3d printed acrylic ones

Funnily enough, I was just looking at those on the Ambis website.

 

They will take a little more effort to fit but look to be worth it for the visible areas.  Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, teaky said:

I think Ambis have done that already.

 

Funnily enough, I was just looking at those on the Ambis website.

 

They will take a little more effort to fit but look to be worth it for the visible areas.  Thanks.

 

I've used C&L plastic ones, also cut in half as cosmetic ones, I don't rely on them for holding the track in alignment, if it's well stuck down it shouldn't move.

  • Informative/Useful 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.