Hooks on the Canopy at Rowley Regis

wollastonblue

After a evening out in Rowley Regis last night, my friends commented on these hooks on the canopy at Rowley Regis station:

post-7128-0-86985300-1504857471.jpg

To which they asked me what they were for, and I didn't have a clue. So I took a picture and said I would consult the Oracle that is RMWeb.

Cheers for you help.

• 3 years later...
  • RMweb Gold

I've worked in Blackheath for the last 7 years. 

Pre covid, my lunch walk was down to Rowley Regis station to see what was running. Often thought it would make an interesting model, especially with the old oil terminal.

2 hours ago, 08221 said:

I've worked in Blackheath for the last 7 years. 

Pre covid, my lunch walk was down to Rowley Regis station to see what was running. Often thought it would make an interesting model, especially with the old oil terminal.

Quite a few options.  Bankers dropping off post Old Hill bank and running back light down the hill?  If death steam was your thing, wasn’t there a big scrap yard near by too?

• Like 3

The station building across the tracks would provide a great scenic break at one end of he layout. I'm sure I saw a small simple model of Rowley Regis about 30 years ago. Like you say there was plenty of freight activity. Even today there is (or was until very recently) a train frequency that is higher than some layouts at exhibitions. You also get the odd excursion - I have seen a castle, Tornado and Western Champion on that line. Did I see 80079 as well when the new service was opened? Its  interesting when the Bromsgrove line is closed and all the cross country services plus a few freights run through Rowley as well as the normal services, this happened during electrification work on the Bromsgrove line.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, F-UnitMad said:

No need to be like that about Cradley Heath... :nono:  :jester:

And just to explain to non-locals, it's pronounced "Crade-ly", not "Cradd-ley". :rolleyes:  ;)

As I grew up in Stourbridge, I’m aware how to speak proper!

I wasn’t thinking of Cradley in that context!

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 19/01/2021 at 09:26, Clearwater said:

Ha!  My thoughts were Cox and Danks at Oldbury/Langley Green.  I wondered if any locos would have been towed through the station from the Stourbridge direction. 

OT but were they not the firm that recovered a significant propostion of the German High Seas fleet from the bottom of Scapa Flow?

• RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, vectispete said:

In GWR times would there have been many trains going through and many coaches on the trains or a 1 or 2 behind a pannier type of thing?

You can find a timetable for 1948 here. http://www.michaelclemensrailways.co.uk/?atk=608

If you are in the groups.io site that Robert Carroll of this parish runs for loco hauled coaching stock it has a lot of carriage working notices including some for the local workings in the Birminggam area.

A lot of local trains in the area were 4 coach non-corridor sets as done by Hornby hauled by a Large Prairie, or occasionally a Pannier. Longer distance passengers were often 4 coach Collett and Hawksworth stock will a Hall or Grange.