The Pre-Grouping Pedants Weekly

In another thread I light-heartedly suggested that I would like to see a magazine entitled Pre-Grouping Pedants, although I thought it would have a very limited circulation.

Then it occurred to me that it could be a thread of here. For those little snippets that don't really belong on any of the existing threads. Open to anyone to share information or to ask questions about anything pre-grouping.

Well, it's a suggestion. Whether it will fly or not, we shall see.

• Like 9

Maybe it's being a bit too pedantic, but in the Pre-Grouping Era, no one knew that it was the Pre-Grouping Era. The Pre-Grouping Era only came into existence after Grouping, and only then as part of history, so it never actually existed :).

• Like 10

Maybe it's being a bit too pedantic, but in the Pre-Grouping Era, no one knew that it was the Pre-Grouping Era. The Pre-Grouping Era only came into existence after Grouping, and only then as part of history, so it never actually existed :).

Definitely pedantic enough to qualify!

Not sure anyone referred to the Devonian period* as such during its time either. Really we should stop foisting our own names onto historic times and ask those organisms which were alive them what they would've liked it to be referred to as.

Besides, whilst we might not currently say that we're living in the immediate pre-kim-trump nuclear death extravaganza period, we sort of know it.

*Some theorise that the geological period is so named because of the slow penetration of current time into our fair southwestern counties

• Like 5

Modelling "pre-Grouping"?

No different from the pre-Raphaelites, painting after, err, Raphael.

• Like 3

"you have the wrong shade of grey on that!"

Not surprising really as there's fifty to choose from :mosking:

Off and runnin'

ps when I saw the thread title, why did I instantly think 'MRJ'? Not that I've anything against it, it's just what popped into the void that is my head.

Edited by leopardml2341
  • Like 2

Just to clarify, what are we measuring from? Coalbrookdale? Penydarren? Middleton? Stockton and Darlington? Oystermouth? Killingworth? Rainhill?

:)

"The First 100 Years" was just intended as an eye catching title, for marketing purposes, and not as something strictly accurate. "The First 98 years, 4 months, 5 days, 12 hours, 17 minutes and 27 seconds"* isn't quite so memorable.

* This is just a random time used as an example. It is not a thoroughly researched actual period of time, from whatever event is accepted as the start of the railway age, to the exact time that the Grouping took place.

In another thread I light-heartedly suggested that I would like to see a magazine entitled Pre-Grouping Pedants, although I thought it would have a very limited circulation.

Then it occurred to me that it could be a thread of here. For those little snippets that don't really belong on any of the existing threads. Open to anyone to share information or to ask questions about anything pre-grouping.

Well, it's a suggestion. Whether it will fly or not, we shall see.

Well it's certainly flying, but maybe not in the direction you expected?

• Like 1

I'm not aware that flying was associated with railways until after the Grouping, so isn't this off topic?

There was the US 'Seebord Airline' 'Seabord Air Line' - which puzzled me for a long time

(marginally nearer the topic)

dh

Edit after checking spelling here

Edited by runs as required