The Pre-Grouping Pedants Weekly

Which brings us back to Dante.  My cherished translation of the Divine Comedy is by Dorothy L Sayers (yes, that Dorothy L Sayers) and she describes the area between the gate if Hell and the river Acheron, where the fence-sitters, who never committed to either a good or evil life, are tormented in a sort of limbo. She uses the term "vestibule".  The date of the translation is 1949.  I'm pretty sure the area concerned is not part of a railway carriage! 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

A "Shooting Break" was a vehicle used to cart sportsmen and their equipment out to slaughter game birds.  Its synonymous with Station Wagon and latterly, the Estate Car.

According to Wikipedia, its an early 19th C British term and derives from a robust carriage chassis hooked to spirited horses to "break" them.

But had become, in English 'brake'. 

• RMweb Premium

Mrs Compound2632, or Beatrice if she must have a nom de chemin de fer, is a lexicographer by profession. She maintains that in current British English, use of the word vestibule is confined to its railway carriage sense.

I do hope your OH has not accepted that nasty Americanism "lobby" as a replacement for a hotel vestibule.

EDIT: That's my wife you're talking about, so watch your step...

I had gathered from your pseudonym that you were a 'Midland  man' but I hadn't realised that you were actually married to one of their locos!  :O

Jim

Which brings us back to Dante.  My cherished translation of the Divine Comedy is by Dorothy L Sayers (yes, that Dorothy L Sayers) and she describes the area between the gate if Hell and the river Acheron, where the fence-sitters, who never committed to either a good or evil life, are tormented in a sort of limbo. She uses the term "vestibule".  The date of the translation is 1949.  I'm pretty sure the area concerned is not part of a railway carriage! 

Given the overcrowding on sections of the modern railway, being tortured in a vestibule seems pretty spot on.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Since French has had a mention, ‘break’ is the term for an estate car here, hence I drive a Clio Break. The brakes do work, but of course they are called ‘freins’.

That's just a fourgon conclusion...

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I've only read it right through in her translation, that being the Penguin available in the days when I had time for such things. She's very good on explaining Thomist theology but weaker on poetry. Now back in the pre-grouping era, if one read Dante, one had the leisure to do so in Italian.

I do hope your OH has not accepted that nasty Americanism "lobby" as a replacement for a hotel vestibule.

Despite intense lobbying... We don't discuss stations in our house, either.

I had gathered from your pseudonym that you were a 'Midland  man' but I hadn't realised that you were actually married to one of their locos!  :O

Jim

You were the one who mentioned your excitement at the sight of her safety valves...

Given the overcrowding on sections of the modern railway, being tortured in a vestibule seems pretty spot on.

Reading to Paddington. More purgatory than hell - the rigours of the journey have been willingly embraced for the sake of what lies at journey's end.

That's just a fourgon conclusion...

Très bien...

• Like 1

The internet is much slower up at these latitudes

I've only just found this in order to check on spelling:

The Train - A.A. Milne

Let it rain, who cares?
I've a train -- upstairs,
With a brake that I make from a string sorta thing --
Which works -- in jerks,
'Cause it drops in the spring and it stops with the string,
And the wheels all stick so quick that it feels
Like a thing that I make with a brake, not string.
Let it rain, -- who cares? I've a train -- upstairs,
Which works -- in jerks,
And that's what I make when the day's all wet,
It's a good sort of brake, but it hasn't worked yet!

But is Christopher Robin pre or post grouping?

dh

Edited by runs as required
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

The internet is much slower up at these latitudes

I've only just found this in order to check on spelling:

The Train - A.A. Milne

Let it rain, who cares?

I've a train -- upstairs,

Which works -- in jerks,

And the wheels all stick so quick that it feels

Like a thing that I make with a brake, not string.

Let it rain, -- who cares? I've a train -- upstairs,

Which works -- in jerks,

And that's what I make when the day's all wet,

But is Christopher Robin pre or post grouping?

dh

It was all a very long time ago now, about last Friday.

It does sound suspiciously like the notorious Clark and Webb chain brake...

• Like 1

Excellent - About time we got onto the Clark & Webb chain brake system - One for Penlan, I think!

Possibly not such a concern if one is a dead fish, however.

It does sound suspiciously like the notorious Clark and Webb chain brake...

Snap!