The Pre-Grouping Pedants Weekly

Class! I looked and thought "Emett!" and so it is. In my yoof his Far Twittering & Oysterperch (?) model would appear at events like the Boys & Girls Exhibition at Olympia. 

Essentially Pre-Grouping. 

And in Battersea Park at the Festival of Britain. As Boy Scouts we rode Nellie in the afternoon after inspecting the new Britannia pacific at the Transport Pavilion in the morning.

dh

[Oysterperch (?) is Qystercreek]

Edited by runs as required
  • Like 1

But is Christopher Robin pre or post grouping?

It was all a very long time ago now, about last Friday*.

It does sound suspiciously like the notorious Clark and Webb chain brake...

* The opening lines to 'Winnie-The-Pooh', a friend of Christopher Robin.  :O 
But, to be honest, this could be post-grouping, as the tale was published in 1926. 

Not the C&W Chain Brake.

• RMweb Premium

The internet is much slower up at these latitudes

I've only just found this in order to check on spelling:

The Train - A.A. Milne

Let it rain, who cares?

I've a train -- upstairs,

With a brake that I make from a string sorta thing --

Which works -- in jerks,

'Cause it drops in the spring and it stops with the string,

And the wheels all stick so quick that it feels

Like a thing that I make with a brake, not string.

Let it rain, -- who cares? I've a train -- upstairs,

With a brake that I make from a string sorta thing --

Which works -- in jerks,

'Cause it drops in the spring and it stops with the string,

And that's what I make when the day's all wet,

It's a good sort of brake, but it hasn't worked yet!

But is Christopher Robin pre or post grouping?

dh

C. R. Milne wrote that he didn't like this poem. He never had a train with a brake that he made, but if he had it would have worked.

• Like 1

Assuming you mean 'fueled', smelly Ayrshire coal. (The name is more correctly pronounced 'Smiley', to be pedantic once again.)

Jim

I suspect it is correctly pronounced 'smelly' but he and his family pronounced it 'smiley'. Edited by Talltim

• RMweb Premium

And in Battersea Park at the Festival of Britain. As Boy Scouts we rode Nellie in the afternoon after inspecting the new Britannia pacific at the Transport Pavilion in the morning.

dh

[Oysterperch (?) is Qystercreek]

The Emmet line started off in "Punch" cartoons as the "Far Twittering and Oysterperch" but when it was opened at Battersea it became the "Far Tottering and Oystercreek".

• RMweb Premium

Bit sad, innit, when two such capable and gifted modellers are quarrelling over crappy old Railways like those? Looks like they've missed the train...

attachicon.gifIMG_1438.JPG

Now, now, all the Scottish lines have their charm. I felt that the strongest argument against Scottish independence was the essential contribution to English (!) politics of generations of Scots - from James I & VI to Blair, Brown and Cameron... Likewise, they've given us their locomotive engineers. Indeed, the county of Ayrshire alone probably accounts for more than any other corner of Britain - giving us both the Stirling and Drummond families - at one time or another on the Great Northern, South Eastern, London & South Western, and Hull & Barnsley after their Scottish careers. Although English-born, S.W. Johnson and William Stroudley cut their teeth in Scotland too - indeed the period when Johnson was in charge of the Edinburgh & Glasgow's locomotives with Stroudley and Drummond as his assistants could be regarded as crucially formative.

Nice rake of North British wagons!

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 1

Now, now, all the Scottish lines have their charm. I felt that the strongest argument against Scottish independence was the essential contribution to English (!) politics of generations of Scots - from James I & VI to Blair, Brown and Cameron... Likewise, they've given us their locomotive engineers. Indeed, the county of Ayrshire alone probably accounts for more than any other corner of Britain - giving us both the Stirling and Drummond families - at one time or another on the Great Northern, South Eastern, London & South Western, and Hull & Barnsley after their Scottish careers. Although English-born, S.W. Johnson and William Stroudley cut their teeth in Scotland too - indeed the period when Johnson was in charge of the Edinburgh & Glasgow's locomotives with Stroudley and Drummond as his assistants could be regarded as crucially formative.

Nice rake of North British wagons!

Oh yes, the Stuart dynasty on the English throne; such a good idea!

Idiot, Idiot, Cynical, if capable, Debauchee, Idiot.

Made for an interesting Seventeenth Century if nothing else.

Also, I'm not sure Old Red Eyes or Gordo are the best advocates for your point!  Whilst I think Mr Brown can probably be credited for Saving the Union, which may or may not be a Good Thing depending upon your point of view and on who gets to write the history books of the future, he was the PM that nobody wanted.  Returning to Mr Milne, one Downing Street Staffer quipped:

Yesterday upon the stair

I met a man who wasn't Blair

He wasn't Blair again today

Oh how I wish he'd go away.  

I would concentrate more on the generations of Scottish engineers, scientists, soldiers, physicians and administrators without whom Britain and her Empire could not have achieved greatness. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

... and one completely forgettable?

I suppose you could say that they were pre-grouping monarchs, in that they presided over a working union a la SECR rather than a union by Act of Parliament?

Edited by Compound2632

Why do you consider Jimmy 6/1 an idiot? I don't remember reading of any up-scale cock-ups in his reign. Granted, his son Chaz was a holy fool. Your third idiot is Anne? Again, I'd be interested in your reasoning.

• RMweb Premium

Why do you consider Jimmy 6/1 an idiot? I don't remember reading of any up-scale cock-ups in his reign. Granted, his son Chaz was a holy fool. Your third idiot is Anne? Again, I'd be interested in your reasoning.

Ah, so you think it's Mary II he's left out? I assumed it was Anne.

The Emmet line started off in "Punch" cartoons as the "Far Twittering and Oysterperch" but when it was opened at Battersea it became the "Far Tottering and Oystercreek".

There was also a model of the FT&O in the Christmas 1970 issue of Railway Modeller (The one with the Mike Sharman Broad Gauge cover) though I can't remember whether they used "creek" or "perch".

Also of interest in that issue was full coverage of Sharmans mixed gauge layout, an article on Pearsons 4-2-4 B&E Broad Gauge tank locos (the ones without a flange on the drivers) and a piece from the pedants pedant Robbo Ormiston Chant (former GWR) on reusing Triang siderods.  CJF also weighed in with a layout idea called "Rabbits for Christmas" Yep, a convolted OO9 scheme!

The strap line on the contents page read "N gauge to O gauge. Historical to modern".  A pretty good description ot the contents that month!

Well, I don't suppose he was called "the wisest fool in Christendom" for nothing.  But, yes, I have doubtless been too hard on him.

Ah, so you think it's Mary II he's left out? I assumed it was Anne.

I was thinking in the main of the Seventeenth Century, the culminating Stuart folly of which being James II.

After the Glorious Revolution, as any good Whig historian will tell you, we have the beginnings of our glorious parliamentary democracy, so when it comes to Mary (who was only 50% of a Monarch) and Anne, we are out of danger of despotism!  

Anyway, it was merely polemic; we got the Hanoverians next!

• Like 1

The Berwick witches, witches in general, his various pamphlets (inc that one about tobacco), the divine right of kings, how he brought up Chas 1, winding up the Catholics to the Gunpowder Plot.  A right 9 bob note.....

• Like 1

Well, I don't suppose he was called "the wisest fool in Christendom" for nothing.  But, yes, I have doubtless been too hard on him.

I was thinking in the main of the Seventeenth Century, the culminating Stuart folly of which being James II.

After the Glorious Revolution, as any good Whig historian will tell you, we have the beginnings of our glorious parliamentary democracy, so when it comes to Mary (who was only 50% of a Monarch) and Anne, we are out of danger of despotism!  

Anyway, it was merely polemic; we got the Hanoverians next!

And of course, the whole mid century Wrong but Wromantic, Right but Repulsive thing.......

Now, now, all the Scottish lines have their charm. I felt that the strongest argument against Scottish independence was the essential contribution to English (!) politics of generations of Scots - from James I & VI to Blair, Brown and Cameron... Likewise, they've given us their locomotive engineers. Indeed, the county of Ayrshire alone probably accounts for more than any other corner of Britain - giving us both the Stirling and Drummond families - at one time or another on the Great Northern, South Eastern, London & South Western, and Hull & Barnsley after their Scottish careers. Although English-born, S.W. Johnson and William Stroudley cut their teeth in Scotland too - indeed the period when Johnson was in charge of the Edinburgh & Glasgow's locomotives with Stroudley and Drummond as his assistants could be regarded as crucially formative. Nice rake of North British wagons!I agree re Ayrshire being the breeding ground for Locomotive engineers. Robert Urie, Hugh Smellie and Andrew Barclay can be added to the list.Nice NB Wagons but then the NB was never a threat to the Sou'West! In fact didn't the Sou West propose an amalgamation?Ian

Edited by ian@stenochs

Bit sad, innit, when two such capable and gifted modellers are quarrelling over crappy old Railways like those? Looks like they've missed the train...

But I'm sure Ian would agree that that is a crappy old railway, run by staid lawyers and accountants from Edinburgh!

Jim

Class! I looked and thought "Emett!" and so it is. In my yoof his Far Twittering & Oysterperch (?) model would appear at events like the Boys & Girls Exhibition at Olympia. 

Essentially Pre-Grouping. 

Oysterperch/Oystercreek - seems we are both right; interesting !

I've just checked we are still on the 'pedants' thread before challenging you to an arm wrestle to determine who is the 'Older fart' (south of the Border from Smellie places)

:jester:

My (often terrifying) maternal Grandad hooked me onto Roland Emett's scratchy mouldy looking drawings in Punch. He claimed the prototype for Emett's railway was up the road in Tollesbury but the blog in the link says the 'Crab & Winkle' nickname properly originates with the Canterbury & Whitstable.

Happily both possible inspirations date from pre-Grouping times.

dh

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

run by staid lawyers and accountants from Edinburgh!

That wasn't the impression I'd formed of either Richard Hodgson - something of a Scottish George Hudson - or Kippendavie, though the latter was an ex-Caley man and tried to promote amalgamation.