The Pre-Grouping Pedants Weekly

Last week I chanced to hear a snippet from a Radio 4 Extra play, perhaps Change at Oglethorpe, in which one of the main protagonists was a model railway enthusiast. He had invited a fellow modeller to examine his newly built fish dock in the railway room, whilst the narrative continued, and the latter came bursting back into the scene, proclaiming that the sprats were too large, and were more like pilchards! The builder then claimed "They can't be - They are exactly to 1:72 scale!" At this point I had to turn off - How could the BBC be so ignorant of basic facts like this?

• Like 1

Last week I chanced to hear a snippet from a Radio 4 Extra play, perhaps Change at Oglethorpe, in which one of the main protagonists was a model railway enthusiast. He had invited a fellow modeller to examine his newly built fish dock in the railway room, whilst the narrative continued, and the latter came bursting back into the scene, proclaiming that the sprats were too large, and were more like pilchards! The builder then claimed "They can't be - They are exactly to 1:72 scale!" At this point I had to turn off - How could the BBC be so ignorant of basic facts like this?

At least they didn't say they were 00 scale.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Many people think that the BBC is staffed by sprats. At least I think that's what they said.

PS: I don't see anything wrong in modelling to 1:72 scale (sixth of an inch to the foot) , much more sensible than 1:76.2. By my calculations, standard gauge track would be 20mm or a little over 3/4". IIRC the original spec for 00 was 3/4" track, converted in the US to 19mm.

Edited by Joseph_Pestell