The Pre-Grouping Pedants Weekly

There was the US 'Seebord Airline' 'Seabord Air Line' - which puzzled me for a long time

(marginally nearer the topic)

dh

Edit after checking spelling here

Just reading this morning about the Boston & New York Air-Line Railroad formed in 1875. I need to check to see if any of of its route is now operated by Pan-Am Edited by Talltim

There was the US 'Seebord Airline' 'Seabord Air Line' - which puzzled me for a long time

(marginally nearer the topic)

dh

Edit after checking spelling here

That doesn't count. It's foreign, and this topic is about the British pre-Grouping era. And while we're on the subject, why does American stuff from the late 19th century get referred to as Victorian, when the revolting Americans escaped from the empire long before? I'm not aware that they had a President Victoria.

• Like 2

And while we're on the subject, why does American stuff from the late 19th century get referred to as Victorian, when the revolting Americans escaped from the empire long before? I'm not aware that they had a President Victoria.

I always thought that was because they were the victors. ;)

Quite common in Latin America, where roads, squares, monuments etc are called 'Vittoria' something or other

In another thread I light-heartedly suggested that I would like to see a magazine entitled Pre-Grouping Pedants, although I thought it would have a very limited circulation.

The i (The independent daily paper) has a weekly column called 'Pedants Corner',

some of the comments and/or observations are very pedantic.

I like this one :-

post-6979-0-79680400-1504961831.jpg

Edited by Penlan
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Oh I don't know!

attachicon.gifplane and train.jpg

I think we all remember this and the Jones goods is most definitely pre grouping

First film I remember seeing at the Cinema...Magic Lantern house. Filmed between Bedford and Southill on the original Midland (pre-group so on topic) route into London. Terry Thomas ends up in Old Warden tunnel.

Not so the power station you can just see top right

Goldington Power station (Bedford) served by the former Bedford and Cambridge then LNWR Oxford-Cambridge

In the spirit of the publication, I hope, but reference in an earlier post to "anyone" in the Devonian period; is that logical? Had people evolved at that stage?

Given that the Devonian first ran in 1927 until at least the mid '70's I reckon there must be some evidence of evolution?

Edited by leopardml2341
  • Like 1

In the spirit of the publication, I hope, but reference in an earlier post to "anyone" in the Devonian period; is that logical? Had people evolved at that stage?

No, just fish, crawly things and plants. Several organisms crawled out of the mud and gained extra toes and fingers (come to think of it, that might be another reason for calling it Devonian?)

Not sure about the Devonian Period, but Raquel Welch was around at the time of the dinosaurs.

One_Million_Years_BC.jpg

But railways weren't. Although as it's before 1923, it's certainly pre-Grouping.

• Like 1

Is discussion of railways that weren't grouped forbidden, or is it allowed as they existed at the time?

Looking at the thread title, is it only the pedants which existed in pregrouping times which may be discussed? no reference to railways being made (if it were a weekly for pedants, would not the title be "The Pre-Grouping Pedant's Weekly?"). So presumably Martinus Scriblerus is ok to discuss*, whilst the Cambrian Railway isn't?

*Assuming fictional pedants are allowed.

• Like 1

Is discussion of railways that weren't grouped forbidden, or is it allowed as they existed at the time?

Railways that weren't grouped surely form a group in themselves, if unofficial. This group could not have existed before the grouping. ;)

• Like 1

tricky that, spread over several months. I'd go for the 1921 act then, Royal Assent on 19 August 1921 is a good date? either that or 1 Jan 1923 when it took effect.

Or, covering the UK's railway companies prior to their coming under the control of the Great Western, London Midland and Scottish, London and North Eastern and Southern Railways. That sets no lower date limit, and also eliminates the broadest deviation from the standard track...