The Pre-Grouping Pedants Weekly

One for the true pendents here. I have just done the first day of the Furness Model railway show in Barrow and half way through the show it was pointed out to me the the label printed for my 0-9 layout "Crackpot Mine" stated "7mm Gauge" rather than "9mm Gauge 7mm scale" 

Marc

There's always someone.....

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

One for the true pendents here. I have just done the first day of the Furness Model railway show in Barrow and half way through the show it was pointed out to me the the label printed for my 0-9 layout "Crackpot Mine" stated "7mm Gauge" rather than "9mm Gauge 7mm scale" 

Marc

How useful. And the pointer-out went home feeling he had advanced the state of Civilisation, no doubt. Sigh.
  • Like 2

Marc

Just tell him it is, but with significant gauge widening on the curves. And that all the track is curved.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

2-6-0 Mogul. Vague, thought to be linked to the Moguls of India as an embodiment of power.

2-8-0 Consolidation. Built by Baldwin’s in 1866 for the Lehigh & Mahoney, consolidated with the Lehigh Valley the same year.

2-4-2 Columbia. Exhibited at the Colombian Exposition at Chicago in 1893.

4-4-2 Atlantic. Baldwin’s in 1895 for the Atlantic Coast Line.

2-8-2 Mikado. Baldwin’s in 1897 for the Nippon Railway of Japan.

4-6-2 Pacific. Baldwin’s in 1901 for New Zealand Govt. Railways, and shipped across the Pacific.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Have you put your clocks back up there or are you still on the Gregorian calendar?

Just to get a bit of pedantry in here, I think you mean the Julian calendar. It's the Gregorian one we're all on now - civilised parts of the world since 1582, more Europhobic parts in 1752 or as recently as 1918. Ever wondered why the October revolution has always been commemorated in November?

In the 17th Century, it was usual to indicate which calendar you were using by marking the date ns or os. I've found this piece of information very irritating while studying Atkins et al., GWR Goods Wagons, as there were two Lot lists, one starting c. 1893 and carrying on past the Grouping, and an earlier one running from c. 1870 to c. 1893 which they call the 'old series' and distinguish as os, so I keep thinking it is 'old style'. Before 1870 there seems to have been a Lot list by letter but that didn't last long...  

Edited by Compound2632

Just to get a bit of pedantry in here, I think you mean the Julian calendar. It's the Gregorian one we're all on now - civilised parts of the world since 1582, more Europhobic parts in 1752 or as recently as 1918. Ever wondered why the October revolution has always been commemorated in November?

Ever wondered why the tax year starts on 6th April?

• RMweb Premium

Ever wondered why the tax year starts on 6th April?

... because Lady Day (the Feast of the Annunciation of Our Lord to the Blessed Virgin Mary) was one option for New Year's Day and our mid-18th century accountants couldn't cope with a short year.

Because it was originally ‘Lady Day’ - the 25th March???

Snap.

• Like 1

... because Lady Day (the Feast of the Annunciation of Our Lord to the Blessed Virgin Mary) was one option for New Year's Day and our mid-18th century accountants couldn't cope with a short year.

Snap.

It’s amazing what an interest in genealogy fills your head with

... because Lady Day (the Feast of the Annunciation of Our Lord to the Blessed Virgin Mary) was one option for New Year's Day and our mid-18th century accountants couldn't cope with a short year.

Snap.

Partly correct.

Yes New year's day was 25 March (the Quarter Day of Lady's Day - which is 9 months from the Quarter Day of Christmas) but when the calendar changed from Julian to Gregorian you lost 9 days. The exchequer wasn't loosing 10 days so they extended it to 5 April.