The Pre-Grouping Pedants Weekly

• RMweb Premium

I assume that the best way to find out how the GWR termed its locos is to look at one of its publications - for boys of all ages. As it happens I don't have any, but I am sure there are individuals here who do.

And while talking about smelly green or blue boxes, it annoys me when the class numbers are used for the locos or DMUs during the period before they had been adopted (the classes not the vehicles). 

Jonathan

• Like 1

And while talking about smelly green or blue boxes, it annoys me when the class numbers are used for the locos or DMUs during the period before they had been adopted (the classes not the vehicles). 

Jonathan

I'm sorry to annoy you then, Jonathan, but I find it not only a useful form of shorthand but a means of description widely understood.

Chris 

Well, I just get confused when people:

(a) Talk of the locomotives introduced by companies that were destined, in some far future time called "1923", to be Grouped into the LNER, using their post-Grouping class designations, even when talking of them in a pre-Grouping context.  I don't speak LNER.

(b) When people go all "BCK" on me, even when talking of pre-Nationalised coaching stock.  I don't speak BR, either.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Well, I just get confused when people:

(a) Talk of the locomotives introduced by companies that were destined, in some far future time called "1923", to be Grouped into the LNER, using their post-Grouping class designations, even when talking of them in a pre-Grouping context.  I don't speak LNER.

(b) When people go all "BCK" on me, even when talking of pre-Nationalised coaching stock.  I don't speak BR, either.

(a) It doesn't help when they paint them black, either.

(b) I think that's a bogie corridor brake composite - but it might be a brake composite with kitchen?

(a) It doesn't help when they paint them black, either.

(b) I think that's a bogie corridor brake composite - but it might be a brake composite with kitchen?

It could be 'Black Cat or Kitten' for all I know!

For me it's a bit like learning metric - it holds no advantage over the system I do understand and I so much can't be @rsed !

Only LNW and LCD locomotives should be black, and then only if clean, polished and lined!

• RMweb Premium

The Midland's Bristol-Bradford and London-Manchester square-light clerestory sets of 1896/7 included some carriages that break the system. How to describe a bogie carriage with corridor connection at one end, a first class restaurant saloon (with access to lavatories) and third class compartments (some with access to a lavatory)? CRFOTL(0.5K)?

Only LNW and LCD locomotives should be black, and then only if clean, polished and lined!

Or CR non-westinghouse fitted ones, or westinghouse fitted and condensing ones, or the two 0-8-0 classes!

Jim

• Like 2

Or CR non-westinghouse fitted ones, or westinghouse fitted and condensing ones, or the two 0-8-0 classes!

Jim

SER? L&YR? Cambrian? H&BR? - but likewise.

Fair enough!

.... or  ... what he said!

or NER from 190?, or GER for various categories at various times (unlined goods black for 1905!).

The point, I think, is that people have no business painting locos black when they were supposed to be other colours!

• Like 1

I would like to find out if Cambrian Rlys Invisible Green come in as black.

In and out, or out and in (shake it all about) Green is Green and Black is Black,

Then again the Green Man Festival at Brecon serves an excellent Sharp's Dark,

The Cambrian Rlys can be ... Oh, let's have another pint.....

http://www.visitwales.com/things-to-do/whats-on/festivals/green-man-festival

Edited by Penlan

• RMweb Gold

I would like to find out if Cambrian Rlys Invisible Green come in as black.

Marc

Marc,

It probably depends on what light you see it in.  I always thought black was black but Humbrol have various shades of it.

• RMweb Gold

It's all very well having Pre-Grouping Pedants Weekly, but...

Which week?

What day of the week is circulation to start?

It's all going wrong. Even the ballast on the French picture last time was wrong. And, as for the 2 birds flying about, they had the wrong plumage.

And while we're on the subject, what about Mansell wheels? I know a bloke called Mansell, and he's a piano tuner.

I think I need to lie down.

"Nurse! The screens! No! not he white ones! The green ones, with the yellow framing, and Regency castors, and no higher than 2.007 metres..."

Pedants......?

Edited by tomparryharry

• RMweb Premium

Marc,

It probably depends on what light you see it in.  I always thought black was black but Humbrol have various shades of it.

When I was working, the company produced plastic chips for sale to moulders who make parts for the car industry.  IIRC we had something like 40 shades of black and over 50 shades of.......................................... (wait for it)

White

• Like 2