The Pre-Grouping Pedants Weekly

I was in a pub which served a beverage Fellinfoel (Sp?) and when I asked for 3 pints of feeling foul I was told most sternly that it was Vellin voel.

It's Felinfoel, just one 'L',   no double F's either.

It use to be Felin-foel*, apart from a flour factory there which was 'FelinFoel Flour'.

BTW the Felinfoel Brewery was the first successful company to produce canned beer, it had been tried in the USA, but the product had a taste of tin in it and didn't sell.  Felinfoel Brewery coated the inside of their cans with a wax, and all was well.  But this should not be of any interest within this topic as it's post-grouping - 1935

* Pre-grouping spelling  :sungum:

Edited by Penlan
  • Like 2

Obviously we need to decide what is meant by "grouping".

For example, the Great Central started off as the Sheffield, Ashton-under-Lyne and Manchester Railway. It amalgamated with various other concerns such as the Sheffield and Lincoln Junction. Eventually it became the Manchester, Sheffield and Lincolnshire Railway.

All these changes had to be approved by Parliament, so they were a sort of pre-grouping, grouping. Then the MS&L built the London branch and changed its title to Great Central Railway, in an attempt to sound less provincial.

I suggest that the common meaning of "Grouping" refers to the events brought about by the Railways Act 1921. There were certainly lots of other "groupings" before, and some after, but they were (by comparison) insignificant.

Obviously we need to decide what is meant by "grouping".

For example, the Great Central started off as the Sheffield, Ashton-under-Lyne and Manchester Railway. It amalgamated with various other concerns such as the Sheffield and Lincoln Junction. Eventually it became the Manchester, Sheffield and Lincolnshire Railway.

All these changes had to be approved by Parliament, so they were a sort of pre-grouping, grouping. Then the MS&L built the London branch and changed its title to Great Central Railway, in an attempt to sound less provincial.

I suggest that the common meaning of "Grouping" refers to the events brought about by the Railways Act 1921. There were certainly lots of other "groupings" before, and some after, but they were (by comparison) insignificant.

As the general secretary of the Amalgamated Rivet Counters, Livery and Lettering Checker's, my members would like see a management proposal of a concrete date so that they can continue with their important pedantry work with out cause for any unnecessary industrial action. If management are unable to produce a proposal which is felt satisfactory to our membership then we intend to work to rule! AND RULES ARE RULES!!! WE WILL FOLLOW THEM AT ALL COSTS!!!!!!!   

Marc

• Like 4

As the general secretary of the Amalgamated Rivet Counters, Livery and Lettering Checker's, my members would like see a management proposal of a concrete date so that they can continue with their important pedantry work with out cause for any unnecessary industrial action. If management are unable to produce a proposal which is felt satisfactory to our membership then we intend to work to rule! AND RULES ARE RULES!!! WE WILL FOLLOW THEM AT ALL COSTS!!!!!!!   

Marc

Pre 1923.

Of course it will mean renaming the "Pre-grouping - Modelling & Prototype" Forum.

• Like 1

Pre 1923.

Of course it will mean renaming the "Pre-grouping - Modelling & Prototype" Forum.

We the Amalgamated Rivet Counters, Livery and Lettering Checker's would like to counter your proposal "Pre-grouping - Modelling & Prototype" Forum with "Pre 1923 - Modelling & Prototype" Forum. This would be more acceptable to my members. 

Marc

• Like 1

Some time ago, someone wrote to the Times about something described as being "more pedantic" - surely it was pedantic or not.

Then came the reply that something with three instances of pedantry was more pedantic than something else with only two.

But isn't there a precedent with infinite - twice infinity is still infinity?

• Like 1

As the general secretary of the Amalgamated Rivet Counters, Livery and Lettering Checker's, my members would like see ...

Your missing an apostrophe, or maybe too apostrophe's. Im not telling you were in the sentence - you definately must of done it deliberatley.

Y in Welsh ie very simple. If it is on its own it is pronounced as "Er" (sometimes "un"). If it is within a word and it is not the last vowel it is pronounced as "er". If it is the last vowel it is pronounced as "ee", so the Welsh word for house "Ty" is pronounced "tea". A good test of this is Ynysybwl which you have to realise is a compound noun so really it is Ynys, Y and Bwl. Once you get your head around this it is really easy!!

Edited by John_Miles
  • Like 2

Your missing an apostrophe, or maybe too apostrophe's. Im not telling you were in the sentence - you definately must of done it deliberatley.

I'm sure that in pre-grouping times, your grasp of written English would have you in front of the headmaster, with your trousers down, awaiting a good caning. Or at the very least, extremely sore knuckles from your class teacher.

• Like 2

Y in Welsh ie very simple. If it is on its own it is pronounced as "Er" (sometimes "un"). If it is within a word and it is not the last vowel it is pronounced as "er". If it is the last vowel it is pronounced as "ee", so the Welsh word for house "Ty" is pronounced "tea". A good test of this is Ynysybwl which you have to realise is a compound noun so really it is Ynys, Y and Bwl. Once you get your head around this it is really easy!!

Moderators!  We need a 'confused' button here!     :O

Jim

• Like 1

As the general secretary of the Amalgamated Rivet Counters, Livery and Lettering Checker's, my members would like see a management proposal of a concrete date so that they can continue with their important pedantry work with out cause for any unnecessary industrial action.

If you determine that the date should be 1st January 1923 then the Caledonian Railway will become a post-grouping company as it, along with the North Staffordshire Railway, didn't become part of the LMS until 1st July 1923 due to disputes over the shareholders compensation.

...... AND RULES ARE RULES!!! WE WILL FOLLOW THEM AT ALL COSTS!!!!!!!   

Pedant! :jester:

Jim 

• Like 2

Some time ago, someone wrote to the Times about something described as being "more pedantic" - surely it was pedantic or not.

Then came the reply that something with three instances of pedantry was more pedantic than something else with only two.

Then the second correspondent was also wrong. Something is either pedantic or it isn't – regardless of the number of instances. One would have expected better from a reader of the Times! Telegraph yes, but not the Thunderer...

Errm. We do seem to be straying into linguistic pedantry rather than the specifically rail-based variety...

Edited by wagonman
  • Like 1

I'm sure that in pre-grouping times, your grasp of written English would have you in front of the headmaster, with your trousers down, awaiting a good caning. Or at the very least, extremely sore knuckles from your class teacher.

I try. Now I have to pay for that sort of treatment!

Marc

Moderators!  We need a 'confused' button here!     :O

Jim

Actually moderator we need to move this whole thread to somewhere like wheel tappers as it blatantly has nothing to do with Pre grouping and is going to do nothing more than drag the whole image of the pre grouping section into the realms of farce if it hasn't already.

Oh your all going to say he's a miserable s-d and should get a life. Well funny enough I do have a life and its called pre grouping modeling and this thread does nothing to enhance that image or interest one bit.

Actually moderator we need to move this whole thread to somewhere like wheel tappers as it blatantly has nothing to do with Pre grouping and is going to do nothing more than drag the whole image of the pre grouping section into the realms of farce if it hasn't already.

Oh your all going to say he's a miserable s-d and should get a life. Well funny enough I do have a life and its called pre grouping modeling and this thread does nothing to enhance that image or interest one bit.

With respect, nobody is forcing you to read this thread, or indeed any other...

• RMweb Gold

With respect, nobody is forcing you to read this thread, or indeed any other...

That is true, but the thread is in the specific section for Special interest/ Pre-grouping and so far it has nothing to do with either but has turned into a ramble.

Not a problem but really for off topic/wheeltappers not a modelling thread.