The Pre-Grouping Pedants Weekly

With respect, nobody is forcing you to read this thread, or indeed any other...

You start your post with the words "with respect" Interesting because if you or any of the posters on here had any respect for your fellow pre grouping molders then you wouldn't lower the standards of this section to the point of farce.

There are other areas/threads for this type of post.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I saw the title of the thread and being one of those who models the railways of this country as they were before what nearly everybody accepts as "Grouping" as being the formation of the "Big four" companies in 1923, I thought that there might be something of interest to me. So I read it.

What a mistake! I persevered as I was sure it would eventually get onto the topic but no, that was too much to hope for.

Another thread going down the pan like the MRJ ones.

I will try my best to get it back on the straight and narrow with a photo of my very favourite pre grouping layout.

post-1457-0-11835200-1505163222_thumb.jpg

• Like 15

I saw the title of the thread and being one of those who models the railways of this country as they were before what nearly everybody accepts as "Grouping" as being the formation of the "Big four" companies in 1923, I thought that there might be something of interest to me. So I read it.

What a mistake! I persevered as I was sure it would eventually get onto the topic but no, that was too much to hope for.

Another thread going down the pan like the MRJ ones.

I will try my best to get it back on the straight and narrow with a photo of my very favourite pre grouping layout.

attachicon.gifIMG_20170525_120428_burst_03.jpg

Peter Denny?

Davey

Actually moderator we need to move this whole thread to somewhere like wheel tappers as it blatantly has nothing to do with Pre grouping and is going to do nothing more than drag the whole image of the pre grouping section into the realms of farce if it hasn't already.

Oh your all going to say he's a miserable s-d and should get a life. Well funny enough I do have a life and its called pre grouping modeling and this thread does nothing to enhance that image or interest one bit.

I should've thought the words "Pedants Weekly" in the OP Title would've been the clue that it wasn't going to be a Serious Thread :nono: :D

I don't model Pre-Grouping, take very little interest in it, but saw the Thread Title in "New Content" and have been thoroughly entertained by it all :yes:

I had to mark your post as 'funny' as there is a certain ironic pedantry in it, to me at least.

I am slightly surprised that a picture of the Buckingham Great Central isn't instantly recognisable, though. Yes it is (or was) Rev. Peter Denny's layout. I suppose the years are rolling by, and the classic old Masterpieces such as that layout, and P.D. Hancock's Craig & Mertonford, are being forgotten, or are unknown to newer generations of modellers. :( A bit like my football-mad lad. He'd no idea who Pele was, until I enlightened him during the last World Cup. :rolleyes:

Edited by F-UnitMad
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

It's entirely in order and to be expected that we pre-grouping pedants should get to well over a hundred posts without succeeding in defining the topic's terms of reference... Nobody should get upset by that.

I think it's only fair to warn passing post-groupers that the establishment of this topic is unlikely to reduce the incidence of pedantry in other topics in this section of the forum.

• Like 3

For the time being this topic can stay where it is, but please prevent further pain in my left hand diodes by keeping roughly on topic. "I’d give you further advice, but you wouldn’t listen. No one ever does...."

many thanks

I took the idea of this thread to be that, while we are serious about our modelling in that we want to get things accurate, we don't take ourselves too seriously.

After all, this is a hobby and as such is supposed to be FUN!

Jim

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Y in Welsh ie very simple. If it is on its own it is pronounced as "Er" (sometimes "un"). If it is within a word and it is not the last vowel it is pronounced as "er". If it is the last vowel it is pronounced as "ee", so the Welsh word for house "Ty" is pronounced "tea". A good test of this is Ynysybwl which you have to realise is a compound noun so really it is Ynys, Y and Bwl. Once you get your head around this it is really easy!!

Can I ask if the "r" in the "er" is rolled or aspirated? I can manage both as a Scots-Canadian.

As far as I am concerned, nothing is off-topic if it relates to the pre-grouping era.

I should be delighted if some serious posts appeared, especially from serious modellers. You see, in my naive way of thinking, I thought there could be a thread for all the 1001 aspects of the pre-grouping era that do not fit into specific threads on here. It would also save opening a new thread to discuss what type of screw couplers the LSWR used, and similar obscure matters.

Of course, I don't mind jokes and humour, as I am not one of those people who had their sense of humour removed at birth. Indeed, I can both enjoyed a detailed discussion on how wagons were classified in the GC trains leaving Manchester and also a light-hearted conversation around puns and witticisms. You see, both! Isn't it shocking? Yes I have a serious interest in history, indeed some would say a pedantic one, but I also enjoy a laugh. 

But I should hate to be accused of bringing pre-group modelling into disrepute! God forbid! So, Mods, if you want to lock the thread, lock it. In fact, delete it if you like. It wouldn't be the first time an idea of mine has gone down the khazi, and I'm a big boy who doesn't cry because the other kids want to play another game,

• Like 3

As this is a Weekly, what's wrong with the first edition being a light-hearted one on the subject of Wheeltapping? Maybe the next edition could be on a more serious subject. I which case, we've still got a couple of days of silliness to go :).

• Like 2

Of course, I don't mind jokes and humour, as I am not one of those people who had their sense of humour removed at birth.

And there is the problem you asked for a pedant thread but you have a sense of humour - a true pedant thread would be bereft of such silliness and whimsy.

I think most of us saw the title and the fact that the word pedant was even used said this is a thread for humour, a pedant would never recognise themselves as such - serious modeller, eye for detail, lots of words but never that word.

I would like to see a pre-grouping area within RMWeb, there are some fascinating models, I am sure Tony Gee (t-b-g) has a plethora of such layouts and models he can call on and there are plenty of other modellers here who also dabble in the sepia period of modelling.  I possibly spend more time watching pre-grouping layouts than any other, probably why I enjoyed the EM exhibition at the weekend.

• Like 1

What's this then? It even contains this topic!

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/forum/231-pre-grouping-modelling-prototype/

The problem is that we were trying to discuss what should be in it!

Because I've filtered what sub forums I look at and because I only use the New Content I didn't realise what sub forum I was in - deduct 10 marks for poor observation and stand in the corner with a dunces hat on for 30 minutes.

• Like 1

Being pedantic, when I went to school (not in the pre-grouping era I hasten to add) we were told not to begin sentences with and or but. :nono:

Sorry to be pedantic, (I don't quote religious text easily) there is a well known text and the first words in the book is "And in the beginning......" If its a good way to start the bible then who are we to argue.

Marc 

• Like 2

Sorry to be pedantic, (I don't quote religious text easily) there is a well known text and the first words in the book is "And in the beginning......" If its a good way to start the bible then who are we to argue.

Marc 

BUT surely it's just a translation of a book written in an ancient foreign language, so that And was put there by an English person with a poor grasp of correct English, or it was translated before the "And, But and Because" rule was created!

PS: The Bible was written pre-grouping :)

Edited by BG John
  • Like 1

Please do not add anything more to this thread unless it is a deadly serious piece of information (or a request for the same) about the railways of these isles in the years prior to A.D. 1923.

Otherwise, as the onlie originator of this thread I shall have no choice but to ask Mod 4 to be kind enough wipe the whole bloody thing out of existence. Much of what has been written so far has been accused of being humorous, and was found "not guilty". Please show restraint and avoid upsetting our fellow-members. Thank you,

Edited by Poggy1165