A forum area specifically and only for recording ideas and progress of individual's challenge entries in accordance with the challenge.

• 2 weeks later...

This week has been mainly about some detailing. Firstly a small storage tank has been converted from a medium 4mm one. The tank has had riveted banding applied using plastic strip and Archer raised rivet transfers. The tank will be mounted on four brick piers in the yard of the right side factory

I have started installing drains and manhole covers recessed in the wharf cobble surface using items from the Langley etched brass sheet. In addition some small items of freight have been placed to get a feel for what may look effective. The photo shows some items and a manhole (for the drain with an outlet on the wharf wall) posed in front of one of the recently introduced  Minerva gunpowder vans.

gallery_8865_4340_213679.jpg

gallery_8865_4340_480028.jpg

gallery_8865_4340_41017.jpg

gallery_8865_4340_1227033.jpg

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update - At the right hand side of the layout the factory yard wall has been completed, an accommodation crossing installed and a corrugated roof and guttering has been fitted to the small warehouse. This building now needs the window frame and downpipe fitting and the roof painted and weathered. The slow business of painting the warehouse bricks continues. A JLTRT 2 plank open kit has been completed and now awaits GWR lettering.

gallery_8865_4340_259175.jpg

• Like 4

This week has been mainly about roofing, next stage is to complete the window frame, add a rainwater downpipe and bed into the scenery. Some foliage will be added at the back of the roof to give the impression of tall bushes growing behind the building. Must flatten or hide those small bumps in the sky!!

gallery_8865_4340_535792.jpg

• Like 2

Could I ask where the water tank panels came from? Quite a bit more advanced than my entry, but looking very good indeed.

Richard

The water tower is a Skytrex kit which includes the tank panels. However I understand that Skytrex do on occasion supply some parts separately, so it may be worth enquiring.

Hope that helps,

Regards Vaughan

• 2 weeks later...

Partly Completed O Gauge Cameo / Micro Layout For Disposal

Unfortunately a sudden change in my health means the simple layout 'Black Drake Wharf' is now unlikely to be completed. Therefore before it goes to the great layout scrap yard in the sky, I wondered if it would be of interest to anyone on RMWeb. Track laying and wiring on the layout are complete, although some work is required to complete buildings & scenery.

​The key details are:

• ​Layout size - 5ft long x 19" wide x 17" high. The layout is currently located on shelf so has no legs
  • ​Baseboard - 6mm plywood baseboards with 6mm plywood ends and rear. Exterior colour light green, underside of baseboards have been painted with matt varnish. There are no fiddle yards as yet, but there is one single track cassette that has been used for testing purposes. A holder for the NEC Power Cab handset is located on the left hand end
  • ​The front facia has two strips of LED lighting that run the full length of the layout, the transformer to power these is installed under the layout
  • ​Also behind the front facia are two cube sound speakers wired together with an external jack plug connection (small type as used on mobile phone headphones)
  • Track & two Peco Settrack Turnouts 
  • ​Currently wired for DCC, the turnout Unifrogs are fed from the switches on the two DCC Concepts point motors with built in decoders. All wiring is complete and leads to an NCE Power Cab connection panel on the front of the layout. The point motors are wired to the layout power bus so they can be switched from the NCE Power Cab handset. An NCE electronic switch is also mounted under the baseboard that can feed a programming track via a 3 DIN plug & socket
  • ​Some of the scenery and buildings are complete
  • The following are still loose as they require completion - Front left side small warehouse, rear right side large warehouse, water tower (tank complete, but base still requires painting) and small building left front.
  • ​Available with the layout is a box of plastic parts to complete the large rear right warehouse including windows and doors etc.
  • ​The parts to complete the Peco lineside crane are also included.
  • ​No locomotives or stock are included with layout as they are being disposed of separately

​The layout is located in Mid-Bedfordshire and will require collection in a vehicle of a suitable size. Please PM me if you have any questions or are interested in making an offer.

The photos below show the current state of construction.

Thanks, Vaughan

gallery_8865_4340_602311.jpg

gallery_8865_4340_1518005.jpg

gallery_8865_4340_1336750.jpg

Edited by vaughan45
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Really sorry to hear about your health issues Vaughan, you must be gutted having to sell the layout.

Thanks, unfortunately my respiratory issues are making it increasing difficult to do any modelling, even though I stopped using paints and adhesives that contain solvents a while ago. I find now that even when wearing a mask, fine dust from filing or created when using flock etc. is causing problems. 

I will still maintain my interest in railways more generally to compensate,

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...

As noted in this layout's post in the 7mm scale modelling section, the layout is now owned by Phil Traxon, better known as Mr Port Wynnstay. I understand he will be updating on that thread on an occasional basis.

To all Camio-teers, good luck with your entries and I look forward to seeing how these projects look when they are completed.

Currently looking at how I contining doing some modelling using less harmful products - has anyone on here used Limonene and how does it compare to Mek-Pak etc.?

Regards Vaughan

• RMweb Premium

As noted in this layout's post in the 7mm scale modelling section, the layout is now owned by Phil Traxon, better known as Mr Port Wynnstay. I understand he will be updating on that thread on an occasional basis.

To all Camio-teers, good luck with your entries and I look forward to seeing how these projects look when they are completed.

Currently looking at how I contining doing some modelling using less harmful products - has anyone on here used Limonene and how does it compare to Mek-Pak etc.?

Regards Vaughan

I regularly use D'Limonene, it smells rather strongly, especially when you knock a litre over, it took a fortnight or so before it was finally gone. It sticks well, but takes a little longer to set. Once bonded, it seems to be as good as anything else.

I regularly use D'Limonene, it smells rather strongly, especially when you knock a litre over, it took a fortnight or so before it was finally gone. It sticks well, but takes a little longer to set. Once bonded, it seems to be as good as anything else.

Many thanks, I am currently hoping to purchase some to give it a try,

Cheers Vaughan 

Sorry to hear about your health issues Vaughan45.  It must have been a blow to have to sell a layout just when it was all coming together so well. Just a thought that you might like to try. If you use card for modelling it can be glued using Gum Arabic (from art shops) which has virtually no smell. It does dry fairly slowly but one can use brick papers on buildings. It is economic to buy sheets of mounting card from art shops and thin card can be bought from stationers for very little money. Jim Read who posts here on RMweb has made locos and rolling stock from card. I have as well. Look for his layouts in the Micro layouts section - Muckton is the latest reworking of his layout  and Jim kindly offers to send pdf files on loco and stock building, and all for the sake of a polite e-mail asking for his help.

I have found using artists watercolours to paint buildings to be very economical as well. It gives a rather muted look that, compared to when I used  oil and acrylic colours I could not achieve.  Watercolour and card are used extensively on the Pendon models - not that mine are up to that standard, but it does show what can be accomplished using what may be considered 'old fashioned' methods  It might be worth trying so that you can continue modelling. I have used card extensively in my recent modelling and find a great deal of satisfaction in using recycled card from packaging, as well as developing new techniques that I had not tried before.

I hope this may be useful and that your health issues become more manageable.

Best wishes

Rich

• Friendly/supportive 1

Just checked Jim Read's latest post under Boxfiles and Micro layouts.    "Muckton - micro terminus conversion + 4W NSR coach."   It also includes some details on his current project making a 4 wheel North Staffordshire coach. Worth a look.
Best wishes
Rich

• 1 year later...