Wantage Road 1880 4mm Broad Gauge

Charlie586

5 hours ago, Charlie586 said:

When I get the 3D printer back up and running I'll try and few tests.

I think that may be the best way to try and achieve it, had I got a 3D printer ( devils work :D ) I would have attempted using it for the diamond paviours .

I hope that it is successful and would like to see the outcome if you want to post it please.

G

• Like 3

4 hours ago, bgman said:

I think that may be the best way to try and achieve it, had I got a 3D printer ( devils work :D ) I would have attempted using it for the diamond paviours .

I hope that it is successful and would like to see the outcome if you want to post it please.

G

It may take a few weeks, probably a month more like, but I'll post here when I have something. Can I ask what rough dimensions you've used for your setts? I was going to guess from a photo but a second measurement would be helpful.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, Charlie586 said:

Can I ask what rough dimensions you've used for your setts? 

I took mine from an original Victorian Sett measuring 224mm x 112mm, hope this helps ?

G

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, bgman said:

I took mine from an original Victorian Sett measuring 224mm x 112mm, hope this helps ?

G

Thanks that helps a lot. I'm guessing the depth of the grooves are only going to be 1/2 inch at most which is .166 mm in 4mm ft,  so I'm going to have to cheat there.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, bgman said:

G

27 minutes ago, Charlie586 said:

Thanks that helps a lot. I'm guessing the depth of the grooves are only going to be 1/2 inch at most which is .166 mm in 4mm ft,  so I'm going to have to cheat there.

In old money thats 9" by 4.5", the same size as a standard housebrick.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

10 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

In old money thats 9" by 4.5", the same size as a standard housebrick.

Thanks Phil

Just realised I made a mistake earlier, the photon can print to 0.01mm vertically (though 0.04 I found the best), this morning I thought it was 0.2mm.

• Like 2

Just to add some confusion - a few years ago I measured the diamond bricks on one of the platforms at Cholsey station (between Reading and Didcot) and found these to be 12" by 6".

I also have part of a damaged one found at the site of the demolished Ardley station (Bicester line). This surviving piece is also 6" wide but one end is broken off at about 8". The grooves are 1/4" in depth.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

12 hours ago, Nick Gough said:

Just to add some confusion - a few years ago I measured the diamond bricks on one of the platforms at Cholsey station (between Reading and Didcot) and found these to be 12" by 6".

I also have part of a damaged one found at the site of the demolished Ardley station (Bicester line). This surviving piece is also 6" wide but one end is broken off at about 8". The grooves are 1/4" in depth.

Thanks Nick, the more information /confusion the better I think. I still need to guess from the platform photo so hopefully that will closely match one or the other dimensions. 

I don't know when these setts would have been laid. Presumably not when the station was built if they're for handling milk churns as they're a harder surface. Wantage road was also built later than the rest of the nearby stations. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Instead of another 'not much done this week' post, I thought I'd wait until I had something to post (though not a huge amount it has to be said.

Firstly, went for a little break to Anglesey, weather wasn't too bad for february (though I'm glad we came back friday and missed the storm). Anyway we obviously visited Holyhead breakwater country park, though part of the exhibition was closed, I did find some panels showing Prince Albert

20200206_124519.jpg.65e9d44ddc595cde6d73258ef5fd7785.jpg

20200206_124506.jpg.a81acb81176ee483784362102a3e1c64.jpg

We also nipped across the bridge to Llanberis for the Slate Museum which is about the only place open in Feb (and also free, which was nice)

20200203_123908.jpg.77aa0a932a6a7c47028fe83ed92f7689.jpg

IMG-20200204-WA0008.jpg.e3a89216414f894f8b683d99532926fc.jpg

I fell in love with this little guards van (Padarn Railway) and it's put all sorts of narrow gauge ideas in my head. Probably come to nothing though as I've got too much on the go already. Maybe just a one off model?

Anyway, the actual Wantage Road stuff

20200208_143748.jpg.335e3a3dd09489fd59600d894239eb55.jpg

Chassis for the Hawthorn is done and rolls along nicely, though wheels are wrong spoke/throw etc so need to get more.

20200208_144521.jpg.e694bb14b8b07ab5a7529b0467153e65.jpg

I tried to stage the photo to show the Road runner+ is a good gearbox fit, but this is the best shot I got. I'll be powering the rear axle with a bit of play on first two axles and some method of springing these. The other chassis I've been working on (rover 3) is in a bit of a state as I multiplied 4 x 8 and got 28 so the centre axle hole is in wrong place.

20200209_143903.jpg.57f4a597b17d4cc2b7b549f1eb8cffc8.jpg

Finally, tried to solder the sandwich frames again for Rover 1 (the scratchbuild) but failed so I've cheated and epoxied them instead. No more work on bridge or platforms yet, will try to find time for them next (unless I start scratch building the guards van...)

• Like 9

18 minutes ago, Northroader said:

I fancy that Llanberis van might be for transporting explosives? (No brakes on the wheels) Still full of character.

This was the info sign, but I think you might be right, it may have also carried them.

IMG-20200204-WA0007.jpg.01ac46bc90e743a261002204b6be77c7.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

28 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Wasn't the brake van made so narrow so that it could be placed on to the wider gauge transporter wagons with the slate wagons?

I didn't know that, but it appears so. I've just had a little google and found a wooden similar van, and a cracking petrol/diesel? engine. I think I prefer the guard van as it is now on 2ft gauge.

padarn_railway_train.jpg

https://historypoints.org/index.php?mact=News,m73248,default,1&m73248detailpage=&m73248pagenumber=2&page=486

Hardy%20rail%20tractor%20padarn%20railwa

http://www.penmorfa.com/Slate/padarn-railway.htm

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
39 minutes ago, Charlie586 said:

I didn't know that, but it appears so. I've just had a little google and found a wooden similar van, and a cracking petrol/diesel? engine. I think I prefer the guard van as it is now on 2ft gauge.

padarn_railway_train.jpg

https://historypoints.org/index.php?mact=News,m73248,default,1&m73248detailpage=&m73248pagenumber=2&page=486

Hardy%20rail%20tractor%20padarn%20railwa

http://www.penmorfa.com/Slate/padarn-railway.htm

I seem to recall mention of a narrow gauge explosives van so perhaps the preserved van is it?

9 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

I seem to recall mention of a narrow gauge explosives van so perhaps the preserved van is it?

It does look over protected for just a guard's shelter. I can't see a pic on the Web of it in use, only wooden bodied ones. 

In 4mm scale a rough estimate is 10 x15 mm with height about 20 mm,  it really is a tiny thing.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

So I've once again neglected the thread for a few weeks, along with keeping up with other's progress. Only excuse is being busy with other stuff.

I've had a few spare moments to do some bits, but not much.

20200224_153713.jpg.fb20a17e43eb87315d543630adcb1693.jpg

Firstly the cheap superglue isn't holding again on the track. For future boards (should there be any...) I'm going to think of a different idea, especially as other boards will involve turnouts. I really didn't want the rail straight onto PCB without the packing. It's something to ponder on. However I have done another set of rover frames and used the superglue to hold them together while cutting out and it's just starting to come loose. Just need to drill axles holes in the right places now etc.

20200302_152505.jpg.030dd76eb08b01876c738b9695c37a95.jpg

Drew out the bridge on a bit of ply. Then I drew it again slightly higher as I remembered one parapet meets the platform and the other meets rail level. The Rover's chimney is very near the loading gauge so I might add a few mm more to the base just to avoid any nasty future incidents.

I started to cut out Hawthorn parts as well, but no pics yet. And so far I've managed to avoid starting any narrow gauge quarry guard's vans. But that's it for now. I haven't got round to ordering the gearboxes yet either.

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Good to see a bit of progress. Can I ask what thickness of ply you are using for the bridge? (am interested to hear people's experiences with ply for such projects).

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Mikkel said:

Good to see a bit of progress. Can I ask what thickness of ply you are using for the bridge? (am interested to hear people's experiences with ply for such projects).

It's about 2mm, when I've bought sheet metal from eileens emporium it's posted taped to it. Unfortunately the second piece I was going to use for the other side has warped so I'll have to get some more.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Mikkel said:

Thanks. I do like traders who supply useful packing/protection material !

I found that the A4 size boxes used by Scalescenes to send their kits out in make ideal storage boxes for my 009 stock. They mostly use A5 sized boxes that are also useful, both boxes being about 5 cm deep.

• Informative/Useful 3

11 hours ago, Mikkel said:

I have this Brunellian structure under construction at the moment:

IMG_20200307_1741148_rewind.jpg.2532a2131c07ce8847f1fbade5320bb2.jpgIMG_20200307_1741311_rewind.jpg.dabb260eac7436f19071d6334d0e240b.jpg

It's mainly 5mm plywood pinned and wood glued together with small softwood blocks to reinforce the joints.

I have also started a couple of 6 foot long viaducts of similar construction but with 9mm ply for the trackbed.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

29 minutes ago, Nick Gough said:

I have this Brunellian structure under construction at the moment:

IMG_20200307_1741148_rewind.jpg.2532a2131c07ce8847f1fbade5320bb2.jpgIMG_20200307_1741311_rewind.jpg.dabb260eac7436f19071d6334d0e240b.jpg

It's mainly 5mm plywood pinned and wood glued together with small softwood blocks to reinforce the joints.

I have also started a couple of 6 foot long viaducts of similar construction but with 9mm ply for the trackbed.

That looks more sturdy than mine would have ended up.  I've got some thicker ply at the allotment so will check the width on that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Thought it was about time for a 'haven't done anything ' update. I've spent the past 2 months playing computer games, doing jigsaws and a bit of gardening / allotmenting. Ive also neglected reading others' threads, and will catch up soon. Hopefully work will resume on Wantage Road,  but most of the bits are packed away at the moment. I'm sure the mojo will return soon.

Anyway, photo of a jigsaw. Had to get a train in the post somehow . 

20200411_140625.jpg.83a2519ae5388005db9d18fe21b8d015.jpg

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 3