Wantage Road 1880 4mm Broad Gauge

Charlie586

So, cut out the first splasher side fairly roughly,

20200728_093211.jpg.f037371e4c42b3b253898380e2e290c9.jpg

I used a thinner blade than normal, 0/3 though to be honest I don't know what the numbers mean. This piece will be flipped round onto the other side so the marking out isn't visible on the final thing.

20200730_080424.jpg.da23b11dfd8a8720c5e15a28e9347230.jpg

blurry photo, but I couldn't get the superglue to stick (too old) so I masking taped the first piece back onto the sheet of nickel then roughly cut round.

20200802_123725.jpg.0a8188f85508a24ca0f16130bca545ac.jpg

Then filed carefully to get the rough shapes. Nearly there, I managed to add a few minor bends but they've straightened pretty well. Need to thin slightly more in various places. That's all for this week, it took a fair bit of time to do it slowly but it's done (almost).

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

Few more bits chopped out and taped / blue tacked them together for the pictures

20200807_092323.jpg.e28b190390de22bf22d7c4ca3f6c43e6.jpg

20200807_092402.jpg.ed768020c7d6343767f5f70beb12b902.jpg

The pic of what it's supposed to look like is here

https://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/news-photo/hawthorn-class-locomotive-dewrance-great-western-railway-news-photo/102725500

The splasher side wouldn't stick so you'll have to use your imagination. Still need to cut out the splasher tops, I've decided on 4mm wide for these, I'll just cut strips of nickel and bend. Also need to do sand boxes, finish the rods for the wheels and find a view from the rear to do the fiddly back head bits. Don't know when it'll get soldered, maybe a wet winter's sunday.

For the tender, as it's a four wheeler, I need to find a drawing. I can remember one of the Broad gauge mags had a piece on tenders so that may help. The mags are all in a box at the moment, I'll try to dig the right one out at some point.

Edited by Charlie586
add link to picture
  • Like 9

So I thought I'd dig out the half made rover scratchbuild tender to see if it would help

1651455773_20200809_151351(1).jpg.1530d020a6e61b7ce19247c604dcc177.jpg

It did help, as I remembered I stopped working on it because I did it in 3d and printed about 10 of them on the photon. Call me mad, though, but building one yourself from scratch is different. It is a hobby after all, and I enjoy this part even if it looks worse than the 3d one. Fretting out the frames and donking the rivets out by hand are quite time consuming, but I will finish it eventually. The rover sandwich frames, bottom right, are starting to come unstuck, I originally soldered part of it then switched to epoxy resin, but I think the resin was past its useful date. So I need more resin (and probably not pound shop stuff either this time)

20200811_153245.jpg.ade0b9018a96534b68d2b63886598ff1.jpg

So I've started on the hawthorn two wheel tender cutting out. I've never been that good at rescaling and printing pictures (they always print a few mm too large or small however many times I try) so I took measurements from the pic, redrew it on graph paper then marked out, etc. Once this is cut and filed it will be a template for the other three. As the underneath is very visible, I don't think a traditional chassis will really work so I'll either try inside bearing 'hangers' as with the carriages, or as the prototype and use bearings in the axle boxes.

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Still the same old bits and bobs doing I'm afraid, but I have got some new epoxy so hope to use that one day in the week.

20200822_100456.jpg.42ad90fdac4c8191471e1e58eeaafdfd.jpg

From the top, as they say, Tender running plate, just a rectangle at moment. 3 of the 4 tender sides taking shape. Hawthorn running plate/footplate needs a bit more work to get the splashers in correct position. I also thinned the middle out a bit too much, it could do with bracing somehow. Splasher top has had a bit of bending to shape done, and tender body wraparound has been marked out. I'm going to do it in one piece and have tabs at the bottom to sit in holes on the footplate. That's the plan anyway.

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

More cutting and filing etc

20200831_075247.jpg.257a48b4caba60e6f1a191ce2e0ae3c7.jpg

However I have re epoxied the chassis for the rover (mk 1 the scratchbuild one)

20200831_075640.jpg.ed2e3c67ee1b71d11e12a785d4fe20cd.jpg

The body fouls part of the motor casing and worm though but I can cut part of it off and it'll still work (I hope). One of the drivers is too loose on the axle so I must have worn the axle hole out a bit and will glue it on. I think I did all this before last year?? but who's counting.. I should be able to test run it at some point, it means unpacking the controller, tidying the table and getting the base board out, but I'll give it a go.

20200831_174722.jpg.0207318b31e9a1da2d74e1f9cc4cf630.jpg

close up of the Hawthorn tender body wraparound with tabs as the light wasn't good in original photo. I haven't got the proper tools at hand to do the flare, so I bent part of the top around the curve on the edge of my laptop. It needs straightening a bit with smooth jawed pliers. It looks bent / dented at the left corner but it must be just a shadow as it looks okay in real life.

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• RMweb Gold

Good to see things gradually coming together. It's not a quick-fix hobby we're in (and that's fine with me).

I'm always interested to see epoxy used on brass. It does not seem a widespread approach nowadays, but looks like it works for you.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Mikkel said:

Good to see things gradually coming together. It's not a quick-fix hobby we're in (and that's fine with me).

I'm always interested to see epoxy used on brass. It does not seem a widespread approach nowadays, but looks like it works for you.

Thanks Mikkel. I prefer soldering but some parts of the Rover have got to the stage where if you try to solder, other bits come unsoldered, so I'm epoxying to save time and swearing. I've got solder that melts at lower temperatures which should help, but I think I just don't have the time to solder enough to have the knack.

• Like 4

Bit of a non Wantage Road thing now. I became a grandfather during the lockdown and obviously since first finding out I was going to be a grandad, I've been thinking about a grandad style layout. Wantage Road with a fiddle yard, straight track, fiddle yard won't really be that interesting or suitable. Obviously there's a few years of brio and that to get through first but it never hurts to think in advance.

It's probably no surprise to regular readers that I'm thinking about a Culm Valley inspired layout. It will be a oo roundy roundy, probably only 6'x4' or thereabouts, and I'll be able to use all the engines I've acquired over the years without having to re-gauge or re-wheel. Maybe the station area similar to Uffculme. Still early days for thinking and planning and I'll make a different thread when I've got more of an idea.

This doesn't mean the end of Wantage Road. I'll still be fiddling about with metal and 3d printing for many years to come. Space is the problem at the moment, but when we finally do move I'll have more of an idea how and where it will all fit.

Edited by Charlie586
  • Like 6
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, Northroader said:

Congrattyfellations, grandchildren and roundy roundy s do seem to go together, if you don’t mind the odd prang, that is.

33D3A19C-2E01-4D85-8174-A2E2A6131A8A.jpeg.dfa72e30a1f08a668097c2bd07c029c9.jpeg

interesting to see how this shapes.

Thank you. That picture is exactly why a separate layout is needed and the scratchbuilt broad gauge stuff will be hidden elsewhere for 10 years or so.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Congratulations! 

(I always wondered why I got congratulations when I had not done anything until someone suggested that it was because I had got my children through to responsible adulthood.)

Traeth Mawr  was basically conceived as a layout for the grandchildren.  My son asked me to build it and make it so it could be transported to his house.  He moved so that will not happen.  I still need to make the point motors actually work but at the moment they are quite happy just running them in a circle.  I have had requests from the eldest, 'Can I run your special coaches?'  'Only if you are careful.'  They usually are.  It then becomes not some selfish indulgence but something for the family.  The last time it was put up, and it has not gone down again was because we were having two over for a sleepover and my wife insisted I put it up so they could play with it.  Win all round.  :D

• Like 5

10 hours ago, ChrisN said:

Congratulations! 

(I always wondered why I got congratulations when I had not done anything until someone suggested that it was because I had got my children through to responsible adulthood.)

Traeth Mawr  was basically conceived as a layout for the grandchildren.  My son asked me to build it and make it so it could be transported to his house.  He moved so that will not happen.  I still need to make the point motors actually work but at the moment they are quite happy just running them in a circle.  I have had requests from the eldest, 'Can I run your special coaches?'  'Only if you are careful.'  They usually are.  It then becomes not some selfish indulgence but something for the family.  The last time it was put up, and it has not gone down again was because we were having two over for a sleepover and my wife insisted I put it up so they could play with it.  Win all round.  :D

Thanks Chris. 

I think mine will be a kitchen table layout, which means 6 x 4 is over ambitious, probably nearer 4.5 x 2.5 ft. I'm thinking something of the fun will be building the scenic parts together,  though I'm maybe getting carried away too early.

• Like 2

Anyway, back to broad gauge. The Rover / Iron duke rebuild / Alma class obviously went through several stages of rebuild, renewal and plain old new engine build. The Rovers I'm building are based on the Bulkeley 1880 ex works photo, which is a stage 4 on the Iron Duke rebuild scale. However, some stage 3's where still around in the early 1880's. The most photographed is Lord of the Isles which was withdrawn in 1884 and even went to America to be exhibited for a while, and nearly survived before being chopped up in the early 20th century. It also ran from London to Windsor every day in the early 1880's (a GWR director lived there and it pulled his train every day) so I reckon it could have seen Wantage Road in my time period (even if just heading to Swindon for an oil and filter change)  There's also a good selection of drawings of it in the Sharman book.

So I took the Rover 3d

619963582_lord1.png.a182bcab1ace84e294f4fa2405775c81.png

added plates over the frames around the axles (I think these were added when the wheelbase was altered when they were rebuilt from stage 2 to 3) 

808831038_lord2.png.19f5398d51b392971b16a3e2af08d452.png

adjusted smokebox and rivets (due to 3d printing tolerances on the splashers part of the smokebox is lopped off)

974298969_lordisles4.png.f05fd8fc972782df4583e78c01f92920.png

Whipped the cab off and did side panels and a basic backhead, and changed the firebox clamp thing to the earlier basic shape

768974127_lord6.png.ea4e8c169180ee4e989bfe32f55d18f1.png

This is what it should look like

67838731_LordoftheIsles(1).jpg.8e2e17423d34d7d78be29edc17aa75bb.jpg

I've kept the wheelbase 1mm out at the moment so it would fit the current chassis (when they're finished), the driver was flangeless on this version, but I will eventually shift it so it's right but the driver sits very near the second set of leading wheels which could cause me trouble, so I may go for the 1mm out version. Obviously the photon isn't usable at the moment, but I've now got something new to print when it's back up and running. I think without a cab it should print better and quicker than the Rover too.

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

A bit late catching up with events, may I offer my congratulations too, my first grandson (now three +) was very much taken with Brio and now resides in a specific train box. Other things have grabbed his imagination but the seed was sown and he still enjoys seeing my models which I hope will encourage him later on.

It's possibly a case of slowly-slowly but it would be good to see him eventually take an interest.

Very much enjoying you BG builds and look forward to progress.

G

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, bgman said:

A bit late catching up with events, may I offer my congratulations too, my first grandson (now three +) was very much taken with Brio and now resides in a specific train box. Other things have grabbed his imagination but the seed was sown and he still enjoys seeing my models which I hope will encourage him later on.

It's possibly a case of slowly-slowly but it would be good to see him eventually take an interest.

Very much enjoying you BG builds and look forward to progress.

G

Thanks Grahame.

We (well me mainly) have already bought some brio, couple of train colouring books and a plastic bargain shop train and track, which is ready to be opened. I've got a small amount of tin plate engines, track and bits, that may be interesting with it needing winding up. It's difficult not to get ahead of yourself though.

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 3

As this thread passes another birthday (3 years since it was started) I'm once more a bit embarrassed by the lack of anything that looks like a layout. It will happen eventually though.

20200912_124247.jpg.4983959ddff5e2c1a27035287b90e2bf.jpg

More work on the tender frames(only photoed 3, but there is 4) and cut holes in the tender footplate for the wraparound to sit in.

20200912_124435.jpg.15b442d115e146239ec20587d48eb32d.jpg

Wraparound fits but need a bit more fettling for a better fit. I think it will be easier to solder now, but it was a lot more effort and time not sure if worth it or not until I've soldered.

So, did a lot of carriage things last year then stopped when I packed the photon printer away. Now Lord of the Isles is out of the way I've gone back to the 3d artwork but thinking of carriage and van underframes.

underframe.png.fcc31c3350c99ece53d27a620c327a00.png

Cobbled this together, it's a bit basic at moment, but will represent the standard body on broad gauge underframe style carriage. It will print in 2 halves on the photon, as the carriages themselves mainly did. This one's half of a 40ft ish underframe as seen on a K1/2.....

461096018_k2render.png.371dd02bf5a6b4473540ea4f26382d6d.png

Just a rough fit at moment. I'm wondering if the photon will print the half underframe and half van as one piece but I can't remember the dimensions it prints at present. The bogies are seperate (they will be an inside bearing frame with an external dummy dean 6'4" plate) and a lot of the underframe detail is thankfully hidden by making it wider to broad gauge. Next up is the 3 axle 6 wheeler underframes which will have the axlebox etc as part of the frame. If we don't move soon, I can see the photon getting unpacked, no matter how much trouble I'll get in for it...

Edited by Charlie586
  • Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

On 22/09/2020 at 19:49, Canadian broad gauge said:

Would welcome the undercarriage it provides high level of detail with the carriages good one Charlie

Thank you, it's just a shame I can't test print it for a while. At least I can build up a stack of things to be printed as and when.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1