Wantage Road 1880 4mm Broad Gauge

Charlie586

• RMweb Gold

Break or not, that looks very good. To think that they day would come when someone could print a Queen class loco in their own home. Of course, there's bit more to it than that, but still.

That 5" gauge model is magnificent! 

• Like 1
  • Agree 5
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Mikkel said:

Break or not, that looks very good. To think that they day would come when someone could print a Queen class loco in their own home. Of course, there's bit more to it than that, but still.

That 5" gauge model is magnificent! 

Thanks Mikkel. With the speed it takes me to scratch build or build kits, I think it's the only way I'll ever have one. Need to do the tender to go with it now.

The 5" had me drooling when I saw the photos. If only I had the space and money... 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

My mojo is starting to come back

20210612_053411.jpg.8fe409c91390f894a35f5ea1891f2744.jpg

Cutting up and shaping bits of metal again -  various little bits for the rover. Also done the chimney, dome and buffers for the queen class in 3d, but as you can see the printer had a wobble on parts of it halfway through. Don't know why, I'm nearly out of resin so I'll blame it on being near the end of the bottle. I'll try again in a day or so and see what happens.

20210612_132258.jpg.fe06fcadbb244387046650716930abf6.jpg

Bit of soldering as well. Blurry photo, sorry. Put the splasher valence back on and the sand box. used far too much solder so it needs a good clean up. Also put a couple of prongs in the frames to attach them to the rest of the body easier.

Not much but it's a start.

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 2

I've been blaming my lack of modelling mojo on work, good motorcycling weather and the fact that the memsahib has been having to catch the train over to Liverpool university three days a week. 

I've been getting random bits done here and there on Aston but hardly worth a photo!

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

It can be difficult to just get started again sometimes. I tend to find once I start I carry on for a bit. With everything else going on and the good weather and, like you, other life stuff, it's probably not the best time of year to restart. 

• Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Gold

Nice to see you back at the workbench. The Queen really has me rubbing my hands in (patient) anticipation.

22 hours ago, Charlie586 said:

I'll try again in a day or so and see what happens.

I sometimes get the impression that 3D printers are like people: Moody and unwilling on some days, energetic and accommodating on others.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mikkel said:

Nice to see you back at the workbench. The Queen really has me rubbing my hands in (patient) anticipation.

I sometimes get the impression that 3D printers are like people: Moody and unwilling on some days, energetic and accommodating on others.

Thanks Mikkel. My 3d printer seems to be like a moody teenager most of the time.

• Friendly/supportive 5

6 hours ago, Mikkel said:

It might be a machine, but it's a creative one and therefore subject to artistic temperament.

• Like 4

I'm doing this post on phone as the laptop is refusing to turn on today,  so apologies if the post looks weird in any way.

20210617_140303.jpg.c3d72d4a111b3a6240883c787ece4bf9.jpg

Reprinted chimney, dome and thingy and the printer behaved this time. Needs some minor filing on undersides to get bottom shape right. I've also Reprinted the little bit that broke so I can repair it.

20210616_183956.jpg.f88bbb207c50b2679bf136ac8ca5b253.jpg

Cleaned up the solder mess and doing some more shaping of bits, including boiler support/ motion bracket that will be almost hidden, but I know it's there. Also partially done gearbox for the hawthorn forgot to take a photo of this before. 

20210617_133153.jpg.37c99a690f200f51cbc48a5fcd93ea3c.jpg

Im going to actually do some more to the layout itself soon (I know,  it's about time, etc). Just a mock up of the surface with wet and dry at the moment. I think it was decided pages back that it was a macadam surface for my time period. What's the best way of modelling this kind of surface? Thanks. 

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• 2 weeks later...

Had a last minute holiday and took my tools away with me just in case.

20210630_071901.jpg.54a6b14e7bbf2a3c49619a235995c0ea.jpg

Cut nickel into strips for the brake gear,  cut some buffers from my thickest brass, started shaping the brake gear hangers, did the other sandbox and made a start on the shaped bit that goes between firebox and boiler - I've tried to chamfer the edge not sure it's obvious in photo. 

As to platform surface there's a post on this thread here, not sure if I've linked it properly 

Basically I want it to look as much like that as my ability allows. I've got some das clay handy,  although it's brown not white, so just need to do platform edge and mark out where station building and platform shelter need to go then I can have a go.

• Like 7

I meant buffer beams not just buffers in last post but I guess you knew what I meant. 

20210704_145827.jpg.989ea6a016e53ab794a99a30b6c1dcd7.jpg

Stuck the platform strips down.  They're lightly scored for the slabs but it's not that clear in photo . The bridge will be where white diagonal strip is on left. The buildings aren't stuck down yet. The platform shelter is marked out to right of building. I need to get rid of the screw head near it and then can get messy with the clay. I cut more transoms the other week or month but can't remember where I put them.

• Like 9

So I've hurt my foot and have medical orders to take it easy for a few weeks. Hopefully this means I'll get something done. I'll try to do baseboardy things in the hope I'll get a good go at it and at least have something to show for being stuck in.

20210706_144549.jpg.c96e4604741f8fc569b78af58ba8e49a.jpg

Laid a bit of das clay down (and another bit I haven't photoed ) It's going to need some remedial work after, but I think it's the best option for me. The brick sheet represents the bridge,  I did mark out and cut some ply a year or two back but I don't know where it is now (probably lost in the move).

I'll hold fire on cutting the sheet just yet as I haven't got any suitable wood here, and also after catching up on Nick's Cholsey thread, I have better drawings of the bridge via the NetworkRail archive. However, there's always a however, the drawing is of the bridge in original state which predates the station and the passenger tunnel to the side of bridge. I've sent a message to the archive asking if they've got any more drawings so I'll wait for an answer to that first. 

Nick's post is here if you haven't already seen it.

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Sorry to hear about your foot, I hope it mends soon.

If the DAS goes dry you probably know you can smooth it with water.

Coachman advised me to use the rough side of cork tiles to get the same effect, but you have already got your platform to almost the correct height, so would be no good for you.

Your layout already looks the part, as if the navvies have just laid their tools down and gone off to the pub, back in the morning.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, ChrisN said:

Sorry to hear about your foot, I hope it mends soon.

If the DAS goes dry you probably know you can smooth it with water.

Coachman advised me to use the rough side of cork tiles to get the same effect, but you have already got your platform to almost the correct height, so would be no good for you.

Your layout already looks the part, as if the navvies have just laid their tools down and gone off to the pub, back in the morning.

Thank you, Chris. I am a bit worried about the das drying before I get to use it all, all of our tupperware lids don't seem to fit properly. I've got it double bagged with wet kitchen roll at the moment. 

With the volunteer Inn less than 200 yards away, getting more than a few square yards at a time from the navvies is a ongoing battle. 

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

358287686_20210707_1636452.jpg.547987ab322db18189bc7efe951c2102.jpg

With the rest of the work gang taking yet another break in the Volunteer, apprentice shoveller Don and George the foreman carry on laying the platform. 

There's not much left to do as it's not a very large baseboard. I've no idea what the wagon is, I really don't know anything about wagons, but I doubt it should be anywhere near Wantage in 1880.

20210708_063459.jpg.a9cd2b554db80559ad49291872f27aef.jpg

Work has also begun of the rooves. I used maths to work out the angles and lengths, but double checked with little height spacers. The bottom one, the single storey ticket office, is causing a bit of headscratching as it's in several sections but I'll try again today. I need some plasticard tiles and the bridge is Flemish bond and typically I've only got English. Slaters factory is only about 5 miles away so I'd normally place an order and pick it up, but can't due to foot so it will have to be posted. 

20210708_064609.jpg.dd40212fb17dabf920d5f0c633018448.jpg

3d printed some more windows as I can't find the ones I did a year or so ago. I made these slightly thicker as I remember them being flimsy last time. I still need to do the side windows and the top floor as they're different sizes.

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, Charlie586 said:

apprentice shoveller Don

I do like the detailed and quirky job titles that the railways used to have.  Some examples from Swindon Works: "Axle-box Pad Maker", "Frame-builder's Assistant", "Bufferman", "Boilermaker's Helper", "Lifter's Mate", "Spare Hand".

I hope the foot heals soon, good thing you don't use it for modelling.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

6 hours ago, Mikkel said:

I do like the detailed and quirky job titles that the railways used to have.  Some examples from Swindon Works: "Axle-box Pad Maker", "Frame-builder's Assistant", "Bufferman", "Boilermaker's Helper", "Lifter's Mate", "Spare Hand".

I hope the foot heals soon, good thing you don't use it for modelling.

Thanks Mikkel. I'm just hobbling from the table to the xbox to the 3d printer at the moment. 

I don't know if plumbers mate is still in use, but I can remember it being widely used. I always liked shipwright and wheelwright and imagined those who failed the apprenticeship being a wheelwrong. 

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

20210710_132739.jpg.856c96722042da551f65a3fbd76e1bf9.jpg

Main roof is stuck together with bracing underneath.  Cut out the pieces for ticket office but since seen a photo from another angle that looks a bit more complex. The roof is zinc and it  seems to be divided up presumably from sheet size. I'll have another go, I can reuse most bits.

20210709_191036.jpg.3d38b23d53c6644577b7ca16cf1c5275.jpg

I used the end of a metal ruler to scrape the das to try and level it. The dust I then wetted and used to fill in holes (thanks ChrisN for the tip about wetting and reusing it)

20210710_132919.jpg.4153cf4dcd9cb1f669df8c31f4941a0a.jpg

Found a bit of wood that is thick enough to do one half of bridge, maybe both halves if it's cut right. Platform painted white, some bits darker than others which needed a second coat then it was too white. I might have used too much pva on those darker bits. 

20210711_124911.jpg.2a3ffb237f19a81d25982ae72386d671.jpg

Test paint behind where shelter will be. Varying shades of grey, then washed. I think the nearest right side is the best, maybe just a tad lighter. Painting the rest now. Have to admit I was a bit worried when it was white, I thought I'd have to sand it down and try something else. I should have done a little test bit first.

• Like 8

20210714_110824.jpg.39fdc24e4b772a5520ceb51cb3ee8989.jpg

Latest bit of progress. The grey for the platform is a bit too grey for me (and a blueish hint as well). I've done a few weak washes but don't want to overkill it . I need to do a few more, will have to be more bold about it. The platform edges is a bit similar,  I'm messing around with washes to try and get a colour I like. Painted a window brown, most of them need to be white but the one for the ticket office appears to be a brown surround with white slats. The holes for the windows need opening a mm or 2. Also did some ballasting and more since the photo was taken.

Mrs 586 bought me a bass guitar for my birthday the other day, so work has slowed down a bit. The foot still hurts but it's improving quite well.

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

I am never quite sure how dark it should be, my platform is decidedly streaky so not very good, yours is more uniform, and appears to have levelled well.

Have you played the guitar before?  Sounds like fun.  Careful you do not tap the rhythm with your bad foot or you will be laid up and having to only model and play the guitar for weeks!  ;)

• Like 2

11 hours ago, ChrisN said:

I am never quite sure how dark it should be, my platform is decidedly streaky so not very good, yours is more uniform, and appears to have levelled well.

Have you played the guitar before?  Sounds like fun.  Careful you do not tap the rhythm with your bad foot or you will be laid up and having to only model and play the guitar for weeks!  ;)

I think it's a struggle when we've only got black and white photos to go on. I feel it needs to be darker but we're used to seeing tarmacadam and not macadam so it should probably be a lot lighter. There are a few dints close up but I can hide them with people and luggage.

I played guitar when I was young, was in a terrible band for a few months, but haven't played in over 20 years. I've picked it back up quicker than I thought I would. YouTube has got loads of videos of songs with the bass notes added on the screen which makes it easier to learn and play along to.

• Like 4

Just a quick one. Network Rail replied, they had 3 more drawings which they have uploaded for 30 days. Unfortunately these are from 1922 but it's still handy to see them.

https://history.networkrail.co.uk/uncategorized/so_8c248c2f-4c21-4141-a272-991ddc658bd9/

Thanks again to Nick for the post on his thread about the network rail archive. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Charlie586 said:

Just a quick one. Network Rail replied, they had 3 more drawings which they have uploaded for 30 days. Unfortunately these are from 1922 but it's still handy to see them.

https://history.networkrail.co.uk/uncategorized/so_8c248c2f-4c21-4141-a272-991ddc658bd9/

Thanks again to Nick for the post on his thread about the network rail archive. 

That's interesting Charlie because, I believe, that the Brunel road bridge at Wantage Road wasn't replaced until 1932. This was in connection with the quadrupling of the main line between here and Challow. The replacement bridge also appears to have some detail differences from these drawings.

Adrian Vaughan's book "Heart of the Great Western" has a couple of photos shewing the works in progress. One shews the original(?) bridge, from the east, in the very early stages of demolition. It is a three arch brick bridge with the original two main lines (at ex-broad gauge spacings) passing through the central, larger arch.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Nick Gough said:

That's interesting Charlie because, I believe, that the Brunel road bridge at Wantage Road wasn't replaced until 1932. This was in connection with the quadrupling of the main line between here and Challow. The replacement bridge also appears to have some detail differences from these drawings.

Adrian Vaughan's book "Heart of the Great Western" has a couple of photos shewing the works in progress. One shews the original(?) bridge, from the east, in the very early stages of demolition. It is a three arch brick bridge with the original two main lines (at ex-broad gauge spacings) passing through the central, larger arch.

Thanks Nick. Just checked the tramway books and they also say the bridge was replaced in 1932 for the widening. Can't see where I got 1922 from now? The same pictures of the widening appear in those books too.

Brj 17 has a few photos of the bridge and a drawing in the same condition as 1880, which I'm sure is the second bridge, the first was built prior to the station being built and didn't have the smaller outer arches. The tramway books have a few photos of parts of this bridge too, but I'm lacking certain angles and details (mainly brickwork at various points) which I was hoping the archive would have the answers too.

• Like 2

Charlie, you are not wrong about the date - 1922 is quoted on the Network Rail website.

Perhaps it's a typo or the quadrupling scheme was under consideration for several years.

Regarding the original bridge, I am having serious doubts that it was ever built with a single arch as per the drawing.

In another Adrian Vaughan book - "Railways Through The Vale of the White Horse" - there is a chapter on Wantage Road. This quotes from a report prepared by by the Chief Civil Engineer's Office at Reading in June 1888,

"As to the bridge. It was built in 1839. A settlement of about two inches on the east side of the centre arch over the down line took place when the centres were removed but it has gone no further since. Mr Owen, the late Chief Engineer, made a careful examination of the bridge with me shortly after it came under my charge in 1868. We came to the conclusion that the bridge was perfectly safe although the arch was crippled and unsightly. It was decided to lay a thin layer of cement over the crack so that any further settlement could easily be detected. No further movement has taken place."

There is no mention in the report, or this chapter, of the bridge being replaced or rebuilt prior to 1932.

It's worth having a look at the bridge drawing for Steventon on the Network Rail site:

https://history.networkrail.co.uk/uncategorized/io_ed6a5e01-14d7-4519-9d03-b1cf751c6d6e/

There is handwritten extra information stating this bridge is identical to 'Oxford Road' bridge.

The location of "Oxford Road Bridge" is given as 4780 chains which would put it more or less at Wantage Road. It looks, to me, like the bridge in the widening photo. Therefore I think this was the original design used there.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 4