Wantage Road 1880 4mm Broad Gauge

Charlie586

On 07/12/2022 at 08:49, Mikkel said:

So perhaps they used elephants for the shunting.

It's also an interesting study in eaves panels.

Or they maybe used a giraffe, it would have to duck for any bridges obviously. 

I did dig the broad gauge society article out, and have nearly finished a t64 diagram cad, as it's got the transitional eaves and end brake compartment. It's coaches 5 and 8 (from  left)in the second row up from bottom 

GWR_Broad_Gauge_Cars_-_Cassier's_1896-07

That's all I have done in last month though. I'll restart properly next year. 

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Still not doing much, but I have been tidying and sorting things into small boxes (takeaway / margarine tubs etc) so will be easier to pick up when I restart. Just got round to ordering the thinner plasticard strip for carriage rooves. I was going to use the thicker stuff I have, but changed my mind.

t64.png.384fa54fb36a440b5fda9fb25f4918e5.png

Finished the T64 artwork. This is obviously just a render, haven't got around to printing it yet. I like this layout despite it being later than 1880, transitional eaves, guards compartment and lookouts, it seems to have everything. There's quite a big queue of part finished coaches, but I can never resist adding another or two.

Also, totally unrelated to Wantage Road (I think), I got a 1:400 titanic airfix kit for xmas.

thumbnail.jpg.16af9ba7fe707d8897105fb8beb8f79a.jpg

This may keep me busy for a while, but work will resume eventually...

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

5 hours ago, Charlie586 said:

Also, totally unrelated to Wantage Road (I think), I got a 1:400 titanic airfix kit for xmas.

thumbnail.jpg.16af9ba7fe707d8897105fb8beb8f79a.jpg

This may keep me busy for a while, but work will resume eventually...

I'd send it back.  It looks like there aren't enough lifeboats.

• Like 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold

The truly sad thing is that she was designed with enough lifeboats but t'management said that they spoilt the look and made them leave half of them off. 3rd class not needing anything as posh as lifeboats you understand.😱

Regards Lez.   

Edited by lezz01
  • Agree 3

• 4 months later...

Eventually finished the boat

20230426_194601.jpg.83c146d48bfaee391bafe1cf84f6e48a.jpg

Quite enjoyed doing it. It took a month or so longer than it should because I added internal lights, so had to drill holes and rebuild some parts differently to fit them in

20230426_194532.jpg.8dd7e8eef6bb90ffb79aabb2a8441c67.jpg

I found some tiny people on thingiverse, shrunk them down to 1:400 scale and printed and have started to paint, but there is little I can actually do apart from add a few blobs of paint here and there ( they're about 4-5 mm high)

20230210_121839.jpg.fed9c265f4a3f5e43c1ad6672ade8f47.jpg

Anyway, back to the trains now. I've not got the morning metalwork time I used to have at the moment so things have slowed to a crawl.

20230526_134500.jpg.78e8f7810660f50425e6d97b22846920.jpg

Started adding transoms to pointwork.

20230527_123901.jpg.42cab3b31c96f85f814edab0aaaa01a8.jpg

Done a bit to E3 roof, 3d printed lamps. On the broad gauge data sheet it says the carriages originally had lamps on the centre of clerestory which was later changed to one either side of clerestory. No date given for the change, but I'm doing 1880, not long after they were built so I'm assuming central ones.

Finally

20230526_133518.jpg.b535aa4d0acfae57ce47fbbc8349021b.jpg

I've got a little helper. I need to move the board before it gets trashed, but I'm thinking of eventually making a wood lid to sit over the top so I can work on it at table and not have to constantly move it. 

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

The Titanic model is magnificent! I can see why you added lighting, it really gives that "at sea at night" look.

A Train Ferry next?

Edited by Mikkel
Typo
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Mikkel. I suppose it should be the SS Great Britain next, but I doubt there's a kit for that. Nothing that big for a good few years. A train ferry would be good, shame  there wasn't a broad gauge one (as far as I know)

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, Charlie586 said:

Thanks Mikkel. I suppose it should be the SS Great Britain next, but I doubt there's a kit for that. Nothing that big for a good few years. A train ferry would be good, shame  there wasn't a broad gauge one (as far as I know)

The Russians had the Baikal, before WW1, from a kit of metal parts by Armstrong Whitworth - construction and wooden parts were provided locally. But that was with Russian 5ft gauge tracks, not Brunelian broad gauge.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold

Yeh I saw that RTR version as well but I choked on the £4500 so I thought I'd best not mention it. Given that there's a Haynes manual for it you could probably scratch build it. There is a hull available from Fleetscale Store in 1/36th scale but it's 2.70 meters long so you're gonna need a big display cabinet for it.

Regards Lez.    

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

8 hours ago, phil_sutters said:

The Russians had the Baikal, before WW1, from a kit of metal parts by Armstrong Whitworth - construction and wooden parts were provided locally. But that was with Russian 5ft gauge tracks, not Brunelian broad gauge.

Thanks Phil, just had an interesting half hour of Googling. 

Plenty of diagrams and photos, but I probably ought to stick to the layout first before starting another...

http://www.tynebuiltships.co.uk/B-Ships/Baikal6-1896.jpg

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

7 hours ago, Schooner said:

You can get one RTR tho'

ss-great-britain-model-ship-1.jpg

...although for four and half grand I'd want better reef points than that. And a bloody good DCC sound with smoke generator!

Thanks. That's a fair bit out of my price range. I think their victory looks better, bit cheaper without sails, but still silly money.

• Agree 4

7 hours ago, lezz01 said:

Yeh I saw that RTR version as well but I choked on the £4500 so I thought I'd best not mention it. Given that there's a Haynes manual for it you could probably scratch build it. There is a hull available from Fleetscale Store in 1/36th scale but it's 2.70 meters long so you're gonna need a big display cabinet for it.

Regards Lez.    

Thanks Lez. The Titanic has almost filled my bit of our cabinet, not really any room for more huge ones without the proper planning permission. A 1:400 , same as Titanic scale, would just squeeze into my half.

I didn't realise there was a Haynes manual, I'll add that to my Xmas list.

• Like 5

This is the other thing what I've been doing during the radio silence of 4 months or so,

sleepingcar.png.0fe02c350cd914c894dbabe666924bd8.png

Amending the carriage CAD to the infamous early broad gauge Sleeper Car. Unfortunately I can't find a diagram/drawing to link to online, but the carriage was split into two compartments (male and female) with dormitory style beds (4 in womens, 7 in mens) rammed up against each other ensuring a cosy night next to a stranger. Obviously it didn't catch on and was abandoned, I think it was converted to a saloon.

I haven't fully finished the cad or printed it yet as have a major backlog in the carriage area, but will get round to it eventually.

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4