Charlie586

Wantage Road 1880 4mm Broad Gauge

Actually that’s not what I meant at all - but it’s a much better solution than mine for the W irons that aren’t w shaped!

D

• Like 2

I'm wondering again what your solution is now. The iron is pretty hidden by the wheel, with mansells and the other board it should be hidden more.

• Like 1

On 13 September 2019 at 19:04, Charlie586 said:

Based on current kit build rate, it will be a while before it's built, but at least there is a way to get an underframe for homemade 6 wheeler bodies. Though it would be expensive as the sides and standard gauge parts wouldn't be needed (saying that the body above would make a cracking grounded mess van).

The Broad Gauge Society sell these underframes separately on their website

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Brassey said:

The Broad Gauge Society sell these underframes separately on their website

Thanks Brassey. I'll put together the frame I've got from the kit to see how it works compared to the other way. I might buy another soon either way while it's in stock.

• Like 1

A little done today, and I'm sure progress will go back to its usual slow pace again now.

20190915_155321.jpg.51326b4321733af06a2c776ca83cd2d5.jpg

Superglued some bent wire to the box frame and stuck the lower board on. The outer support wire is a bit too low so I've not attached it there, I'll reposition it.

20190915_155331.jpg.d14754b6643be02995188b0b9f9424a0.jpg

Selection of brass bits that are being cut or sawn and filed for the various underframes that need scratchbuilding (K2 van, E7 and S3 carriages) and another rover chassis frames as I've now got 4 3d bodies in various states. Most is 10 thou brass (except the chassis, about 16 or 18 thou). 10 thou is maybe too thin as it's a bit flexible. I've also got some solebars and step etches from the bgs, folding the steps are a nightmare, they're the length of the carriage, 4mm wide with 1mm of that folding. In hindsight I don't need a full underframe top as one piece, the kits don't do it that way. Hopefully I'll get some time to solder the 'rocker' underframe and some other bits next weekend.

Edited by Charlie586
  • Like 4