Andrew Barclay 14" & 16" 0-4-0ST in OO Gauge

Hattons Dave

The tanks and the boilers on the 16 inch are larger. See my photos in post 229 on p10 of this thread.

And slightly longer. The frames of the 16" also come up above the footplate. Note that there are two versions of tank on the 16" - one lower than the other (the CPC has one, the lined black version the taller, and therefore larger, tank).

Adam

Hi Down_Under

The cabs are a separate item in the tooling that slot on to the back of the boiler.

However, the cabs in our tooling are based on the earlier cabs with overhanging roof (formed of two sheets of metal) rather than the roof being part of the side sheet of the cab (with the curved transition between cab side and roof) as shown in your images.

Also, the chassis' for the 14" & 16" are very slightly different lengths. Whilst the cylinders may be interchangeable between the two, it would be quite tight to do so due to that small difference in length.

Cheers,

Dave

This photo, taken in 2010 during the reassembly of Ferrybridge No 3 (14 inch built 1954) after overhaul at EVR, may be helpful to show the construction of the later cabs, not modeled by Hattons. Thanks Dave for the info re the tooling for the cabs.

post-4790-0-19874100-1506079068_thumb.jpg

And slightly longer. The frames of the 16" also come up above the footplate. Note that there are two versions of tank on the 16" - one lower than the other (the CPC has one, the lined black version the taller, and therefore larger, tank).

Adam

Yes the boiler takes up more space in the cab of the 16 inch, as I have mentioned in a previous post, thus making firing more tricky. I fire both! 

Edited by Unknown Warrior

Isn’t that odd? One SE&CR green version at no. 1 but the other at no. 10.

Possibly because, given they're so similar, people who don't care so much which one they get, so long as they get a green SECR one, are just going for the first in the list.

It's interesting that the Bluebell version is second, though. Apart from the fact that it's an attractive livery in its own right, does that indicate that modelling the preserved scene is getting more popular?

I don't know size wise how accurate the Hattons mock ups are but this might help visualise some of the differences in frame lengths and tank height on different models.

post-508-0-98713100-1506126307.gif

P

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

I don't know size wise how accurate the Hattons mock ups are but this might help visualise some of the differences in frame lengths and tank height on different models.

Hattons-AB-MockUps16'Katieto14'705Sm.gif

P

In my best parrot voice, "whose a clever boy then"?

That is nicely done and really does show the differences. As you say, the image sizes may not be perfect, but it still does help. Thank you.

Roy

Well I must admit I have been proved wrong on the selection of liveries for the Barclay.

I was surprised at the choice of Katie as the loco only wore this livery whilst sat on a plinth at a garden centre. It is really an ex ICI Huddersfield loco although it did work at the infant KWVR in its blue industrial livery 

http://picssr.com/photos/railwaydave/interesting/page34?nsid=22633970@N08

Clearly the attractiveness of the livery is selling more models than authenticity. The liveries chosen seem to be all 'as preserved' rather than 1960s industrial liveries.

Some proper NCB liveried wooden wagons and 16 ton minerals would be nice to go with the Barclays and the Hornby Pecketts. The ones in the video are exclusive to Manvers Coking Plant.

Following on the heels of the Hornby Peckett a Barclay loco would have been my choice, well done Hattons for some quick work.

• Like 1

I think it might be because it's a more generic livery for so doesn't tie it to a particular location as much

Makes me wonder if a plain black or maroon (or add colour of personal preference) with just the pinstriping, or a loco supplied with separate nameplates not attached or printed may have been top of the pops pre order charts?

P

Makes me wonder if a plain black or maroon (or add colour of personal preference) with just the pinstriping, or a loco supplied with separate nameplates not attached or printed may have been top of the pops pre order charts?

P

Certainly I have pre-ordered 'WTT' on basis that I like the colour and the lettering can be removed. It is my intention to buy nameplates for it.

Regards

Maybe a bit cheeky but perhaps a big Barclay 0-6-0 along the lines of Dalmellington Iron Company Number 17 next?

Maybe a bit cheeky but perhaps a big Barclay 0-6-0 along the lines of Dalmellington Iron Company Number 17 next?

Don't want to thread-crash, so here's a link...

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/85210-high-level-kits/page-13&do=findComment&comment=2865959

• RMweb Gold

Nice idea.

Thanks for the info on the difference between the 14" and 16" types.

I'm definitely going for a cute little 14" one, then.