Andrew Barclay 14" & 16" 0-4-0ST in OO Gauge

Hattons Dave

So taking on board what folk have said above; are there any of you out there who are planning on buying an AB purely to repaint/rebrand to a loco of your choice?

And whilst I'm in a question asking mode, can anyone confirm if the real Katie (AB-2226/46) had a six foot wheelbase or a Five foot six inch wheelbase?

P

Edited by Porcy Mane

So taking on board what folk have said above; are there any of you out there who are planning on buying an AB purely to repaint/rebrand to a loco of your choice?

And whilst I'm in a question asking mode, can anyone confirm if the real Katie (AB-2226/46) had a six foot wheelbase or a Five foot six inch wheelbase?

P

I expect to rebrand my loco (Coronation) to an as yet to be determined name to serve a private industry on my layout. I also expect to invalidate the warrantee by re-gauging said loco to P4 with the assistance of a HighLevel replacement chassis. (No pressure, Chris) as and when such items become available. In the meantime I’ll just enjoy it.

Sorry I can’t help with the Katie question, I’m on the wrong side of the pond :-)

Cheers,

David

Does anybody know if there is a website about the history of the locomotives? I've a photo of Works No 2028 which is in an Ind coope and allsopps livery No5 and I'd like to do a model of that if possible.

Steve.

Edited by sb67

P

I can't answer your question for certain because I don't know if there were exceptions, but as far as I know 14 inch locos have a 5' 6" wheelbase and 16 inch locos normally have a 6' 0"" wheelbase though some had a 7' 0' WB (see earlier in this discussion from post 189 pg 8)

Edited by JeremyC

I really don't understand why that one is so popular. 

I plead guilty to falling in love with Katie. Or probably her big buffers.

It is such a change from black, blue, green or maroon.

I like the Scottish shale oil industry from an historic angle. Barclays were common locomotives and my family live in Currie.

I cannot see myself building a prototype layout, so a free lance micro layout based on using Katie seems to me to be a good compromise.

A free lance layout needs a machine that is a bit different from the common or garden.

How long she will remain as Katie is a different matter. I suppose a poll on suitable alternative names could be an interesting idea. She could end up as Jennifer.

Of course my usual east Anglian interests are looking at another one in a different livery as a candidate for the local sugar beet factory.

Bernard

• Like 2

P

Oh yes indeedy, mine won't be out of the box five minutes before the Burnley Gas branding comes off in the first steps towards turning it into an Aberdeen Gas Works one. Its going to be a bit of a lash-up job and will never be perfect, but close enough to be convincing:triniti:

• Like 1

P

Yes. I am going to "copy" "Norton961" and do this

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_11_2017/post-20690-0-02163400-1509904418.jpg

From the model of No 10

• Like 1

There's no need to refer to Katie in the past tense, she is still with us at Cheddleton. Photos to follow shortly.

• Like 1

I am looking forward to seeing Coronation arrive having spent a lot of time with it and its owner is a good friend.

I would really love a 12 inch version like Hurricane which I used to own and was driving in the photo in front of Coronation. 

post-27463-0-79116800-1519918832_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Much prefer the ICI livery myself. Looks like a proper working engine.

I'm almost certainly going for the CPC one and another that I haven't decided upon. But the Little Barford or one of the NCB versions is the favourite at the moment.

None are getting bought for a specific layout, just that they are quite possibly my favourite type of small loco and I've driven one a few times.

Jason

Other than Katie's big buffers she has let herself go, I think she really needs her makeup done again...and there is the strange brackets to the tank above the smoke box door.  

It looks like she has become a long term project. It would be nice to see her all dolled up and running again then again just looking at the weathering patterns could make the new model that much more accurate.

IE the lighter white staining on the cab side, the light brown of the foot plate, the lightening/ rusting to the top of the tank.  Oh and the tarnishing of the name plate... had not spotted that one before. 

Edited by DougN

Other than Katie's big buffers she has let herself go, I think she really needs her makeup done again...and there is the strange brackets to the tank above the smoke box door.  

That strange bracket was a standard AB lamp bracket fitting as seen on many of her brothers and sisters.  When that nice man from High Level gets round to doing his chassis etch I can guarantee that bracket will come as a spare as part of the etch.

It looks like she has become a long term project. It would be nice to see her all dolled up and running again then again just looking at the weathering patterns could make the new model that much more accurate.

IE the lighter white staining on the cab side, the light brown of the foot plate, the lightening/ rusting to the top of the tank.  Oh and the tarnishing of the name plate... had not spotted that one before. 

Nice to See some of the original ICI monastral blue peeking out from below that peeling paint.

P

I agree Porcy, Mr Gibbon who thinks I am nuts. As he was flat out and I was saying hi from a local modeller here in Melbourne and he thought I was saying that I was him.... though I had another name tag on... Any how I do agree that he does some lovely models (as the builder of a black hawthorn and a rsh.. with another in the to do in the pile...) I really don't need more kits to build at the moment... though a peckett and a AB chassis would be nice as I have a thing for P4 and small locos...

Katie and Coronation will have new nameplates and join the Peckett and Sentinel fleet of the Kent and Surrey Sand and Cement Co.

• Like 3

Me for one. I would rather have an anonymous industrial shunter to which I can apply my own markings or name rather than having to remove superfluous (however nicely applied) markings. After all, Huntley and Palmers made biscuits in Reading and the NCB mined coal, they didn't have quarries in Derbyshire (like what I have).

• Like 1

I've ordered 2 Caley models, to repaint into Earl of Dudley loco's, which I'm surprised isn't really mentioned in this long thread, considering the amount of Barclay locos on the Earl of Dudley railways from the early 20th century right up to the mid 60's. The Caley version being the only open cab version but still needs a few mods, new handrails etc and step mods.  

7319708274_f96c277ab0_z.jpg

Lady Honor Wallows by Prof2940, on Flickr

• Like 2

I really don't know where this notion of the Caley liveried one being the only open backed cab is coming from. In addition to the Caley, there's Katie with the big buffers [and big rear end too] as discussed above and also the green NCB one

Edited by Caledonian