Andrew Barclay 14" & 16" 0-4-0ST in OO Gauge

Hattons Dave

Four crew missing, hopes fading, according to 9th March press release:

https://www.maerskline.com/news

I'm sure your post not meant to make light of the situation.

Edited by 26power

Four crew missing, hopes fading, according to 9th March press release:

https://www.maerskline.com/news

I'm sure your post not meant to make light of the situation.

When they say "worse things happen at sea", this is probably one of them.

The problem is that the crew of such ships have no idea about what they're really carrying, despite what the manifests say.  All you have to do is watch what comes out of containers in those fly-on-the-wall programmes about Customs services.  I imagine that the fire is possibly due to a consignment of dodgy Chinese Lithium cells that can't be transported by air.

It would be bad luck for Hattons, and by extension us, if the boxes of Barclays were on the ship.

But not the end of the world.

When they say "worse things happen at sea", this is probably one of them.

The problem is that the crew of such ships have no idea about what they're really carrying, despite what the manifests say.  All you have to do is watch what comes out of containers in those fly-on-the-wall programmes about Customs services.  I imagine that the fire is possibly due to a consignment of dodgy Chinese Lithium cells that can't be transported by air.

It would be bad luck for Hattons, and by extension us, if the boxes of Barclays were on the ship.

But not the end of the world.

It is very sad news.  I'm sure that anyone who reads the article about the Maersk Honam will realise the dangers that a ship's crew face whilst at sea.

I noticed in the latest update from Hattons they show a weathered Barclay with some wagons. All very nice but the thing that really sticks out for me is the lack of hook and bar couplers makes the whole picture look so much better. I know you need something to couple up with but on smaller engines the hook and bar is such an eyesore.

Cheers,

David

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I noticed in the latest update from Hattons they show a weathered Barclay with some wagons. All very nice but the thing that really sticks out for me is the lack of hook and bar couplers makes the whole picture look so much better. I know you need something to couple up with but on smaller engines the hook and bar is such an eyesore.

Cheers,

David

Thanks, looks good: http://hattonsimages.blob.core.windows.net/mediaimages/weatheredab_3.jpg

The green NCB version featured here is the one I have ordered too.

cheers,

Keith

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Please note: This thread is being monitored by Barclays Under Mother's Supervision.....

B.U.M.S.

Rob

I’ve been admiring these engines from afar and while they look fantastic, I have two queries about them. With the exception of the GWR and CR versions, do any date from before 1947? My layout is entirely pre-nationalisation so all the NCB or other state owned industries wouldn’t be right. Also, do any AB enthusiasts know if any of the Devonport Dockyard ABs were the 14” or 16” variety? I looked in my bible on the matter, Paul Burkhalter’s otherwise exhaustive book on the railway, but couldn’t get confirmation. It would be great to have one in their smart maroon livery with my collection of Wessex Wagons’s naval wagons

I’ve been admiring these engines from afar and while they look fantastic, I have two queries about them. With the exception of the GWR and CR versions, do any date from before 1947? My layout is entirely pre-nationalisation so all the NCB or other state owned industries wouldn’t be right. Also, do any AB enthusiasts know if any of the Devonport Dockyard ABs were the 14” or 16” variety? I looked in my bible on the matter, Paul Burkhalter’s otherwise exhaustive book on the railway, but couldn’t get confirmation. It would be great to have one in their smart maroon livery with my collection of Wessex Wagons’s naval wagons

Yes to 14", though note that the cabs of the Devonport ones were different so far as I am aware and most Barclays at Devonport were 12":

Works numbers were 1397 of 1915; 1406 of 1915, 1516 of 1919. Hope that helps (info' from the appropriate Industrial Railway Society volume).

Adam

Have read both the Hornby magazine and Model Rail magazine reviews of the Barclay and must say I am looking forward to them arriving ( have 2 on order).

But am a little concerned that the Model Rail  reviewer had problems with fitting DCC to the loco that he abandoned the fitting as he could not remove  the body after removing the 2 screws and a couple of pipes, It was indicating that the body was somehow stuck to the chassis.

I  just hope this is an isolated occurrence and not a reflection on the assembly of the model.

Hattons your response to the article would be most appreciated.

Edited by johnd

But am a little concerned that the Model Rail  reviewer had problems with fitting DCC to the loco that he abandoned the fitting as he could not remove  the body after removing the 2 screws and a couple of pipes, It was indicating that the body was somehow stuck to the chassis.

I have been in and out of four separate models and not experienced any issues.

Nationalisation of the coal industry was a year before nationalisation of the railways so you can justify a bit of Rule 1 license there ............ but the CR one is post nationalisation, post lots of other things and post preservation I'm afraid ( Rule 1 on overtime ! )

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Have read both the Hornby magazine and Model Rail magazine reviews of the Barclay and must say I am looking forward to them arriving ( have 2 on order).

I  just hope this is an isolated occurrence and not a reflection on the assembly of the model.

Hattons your response to the article would be most appreciated.

Might be an idea to order them DCC fitted by Hatton's, then it becomes their problem. :jester:  

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1

Nice clip of a Barclay at 45 secs in.

British Film Noir, Tread Soflty Stranger (1958). Filmed in Rotherham, the works featured is Parkgate Iron and Steel, by then part of the Tube Investments Group.

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Mmmmmmmmmm.........

That's good to hear Andy lets hope they are mostly OK.

So you've been 3D modeled as well  then !

Edited by johnd

Been looking at the Ribble Steam Railway at Preston.

They seem to have Barclays/Pecketts & Sentinels preserved there !

Feel a visit with the camera coming on some time soon !

Edited by johnd
  • Like 1

I recall Hatton's Dave on this thread predicting that any lettering will be easily rubbed off [damn well hope so considering what I have in mind] so really its a matter of picking your colour and glazing configuration and steaming away

Been looking at the Ribble Steam Railway at Preston.

They seem to have Barclays/Pecketts & Sentinels preserved there !

Feel a visit with the camera coming on some time soon !

We have two in traffic at The Ecclesbourne Valley Railway, just north of Derby. A 14” and a 16”, working on our 1 in 27 incline above Wirksworth. See posts near the beginning of this thread.