Andrew Barclay 14" & 16" 0-4-0ST in OO Gauge

Hattons Dave

Looks like it doesn't it, but, according to the Winter 1955/6 abc (reprint), 1140 had: 

14" x 22" cylinders, 3' 5" driving wheels, and weighed 28 tons.

John

I had to look it up myself. They're the same dimensions the RCTS Absorbed Locomotives book has.

Interesting to note that it was repaired by Peckett in 1925 rather than Swindon. Then received the GWR safety valve in the early 1930s.

Jason

• RMweb Gold

I had to look it up myself. They're the same dimensions the RCTS Absorbed Locomotives book has.

Interesting to note that it was repaired by Peckett in 1925 rather than Swindon. Then received the GWR safety valve in the early 1930s.

Jason

That's not a surprise, those enormous buffers look very much more "Peckett" than "Barclay", to me.

John

Does anyone have a recommendation for where I might obtain Bon Accord etched nameplates for my (oh so very pretty) Coronation?

Cheers,

Gavin

Do you mean like the 12-inch Barclay? http://beamishtransportonline.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/IMG_5894.jpg Try Narrow Planet - https://shop.narrowplanet.co.uk/collections/nameplate-styles If they don't do that exact style you only have to ask and a custom plate can probably me made for you. I've always had excellent service there.

• RMweb Gold

Very nicely done to all the Hattons development team. As others have said the red on Katie is much better in the flesh and it's a lovely little model in detail and running. No doubt another one will follow eventually but it will have to wait as there seems to be a glut of models I've ordered arriving :)

A worthy response to the Hornby Peckett and even better selection of liveries.

Encore! :)

• Like 1

Engine and crew packed and dispatched. Now I just have to wait for Canada Post to throw it on my porch. Thank goodness Hattons does a good job of packaging (which I congratulated them on after my experience with the flying P class).

Cheers,

David

I stand corrected. The package was consigned to the mails today.

Cheers,

David

Lovely work indeed! How easy is it to get the factory text off? 

Very easy. Tiny drop of T-cut on a cotton bud and work carefully. Just enough to take the lettering off but not the paint.

The despatch of the Barclay's by Hattons looks like it will be a longer timescale than normal. I phoned Hattons this morning, to check on when my order might be despatched, (order processed last Friday) as I will be away from home later this week and didn't want any parcel to come at that time. I was advised that the models are being individually QC checked before despatch, so my order has been noted to ensure that it is not sent while I'm away. I didn't enquire as to why they were applying such an extensive check, but good to know.

• RMweb Gold

The despatch of the Barclay's by Hattons looks like it will be a longer timescale than normal. I phoned Hattons this morning, to check on when my order might be despatched, (order processed last Friday) as I will be away from home later this week and didn't want any parcel to come at that time. I was advised that the models are being individually QC checked before despatch, so my order has been noted to ensure that it is not sent while I'm away. I didn't enquire as to why they were applying such an extensive check, but good to know.

Thanks for the update, my order was also processed last Friday.

Keith

Thanks for that. Interestingly I have a packed notification last Friday but I had yet to receive a posted notification. Any how I am not concerned either way. As long as they work when they do hit the post.

Your right Jenny, I purchased Katie so may be they are having issues with different batches or getting to certain pellets. Or they could even be sending out via the date ordered or may be some other crazy algorithm that makes no sense to those outside of the inner (packing) circle of the Hattons team!

My pair have been combined into one order and the credit card has been debited, but at this stage, the order is merely showing as "open". 

As DougN said earlier, it would have been nice if they arrived in time for our British Railway Modellers meeting on Saturday, but it doesn't look like that will happen.

My CR version was sent by courier on Friday and received at 10.00am Saturday, but then I did place the order in the first hour that orders were being taken. So they may be sending them out in the order that they were reserved.

Edited by johnd

Interesting as I opted to fit a DCC 23 by choice

The only problem I had was with some pipe work below the running plate stopping the body being fully removed. Was easily removed as only a push fit.

Interesting as I opted to fit a DCC 23 by choice

The only problem I had was with some pipe work below the running plate stopping the body being fully removed. Was easily removed as only a push fit.

Zimo 622N 6 pin doesn't fit either, I also couldn't work out why the body wouldn't come off. Pretty sure that under the running plate pipe work isn't shown on the Hattons how to video, certainly not shown in the instructions. The blanking plate is 11mm long so looks like an ESU 53665 nano will fit easily at just 8mm, the Lokpilot micro 54685 is stated as 10.5mm which looks a tight fit to me. Can't find dimensions for 6 pin Lenz at the moment but CT Electronica DCX77ZN is shorter then the ESU Nano at 7.5mm so another option there. No idea about sound my planks only 2chuffs and wheeze long so not going there! Edited by w124bob

I've had an email to say the Hatton's 6 Pin chip isn't suitable so a Gaugemaster DCC23 will be fitted for a small amount extra. So my NCB No10 is still a little way off! Trevor

Got the same email myself this morning, Gladly though now my 705 has been dispatched :D

Chris

I've had an email to say the Hatton's 6 Pin chip isn't suitable so a Gaugemaster DCC23 will be fitted for a small amount extra. So my NCB No10 is still a little way off! Trevor

That might explain why my 'WTT' has not  been processed, but I haven't had an email.  I'd better check.

Warrington Mail Centre at 09:30 and "on its way". Fortuitously tomorrow evening is free, so cotton buds and Brasso are at hand, a sharp scalpel blade is about to be fitted and a rake of Aberdeen Gas Works wagons are waiting...

Katie arrived yesterday morning.  Initial impressions a bit less than whelming..

Individually QC checked?  Hmmm..  Mine appeared to have had the inner and outer transparent sleeves glued together.  Probably not glued in actuality but it took ALL of my strength to push the inner clear of the outer.  Opening the inner clamshell one buffer deposited itself on the workbench before I'd even moved the loco within the packaging.  At this point I was starting to wonder if Hattons share a factory with Heljan.

However, buffer replaced and piston rod re-seated on slide bar (the left side piston rod was completely below behind the slide bar instead of sliding between the slide bars at the point of delivery) the loco ran well enough on DC.  Then came chipping.   I used a tiny TCX chip on the grounds that if that won't fit nothing will.  However getting the body off and on again isn't for the faint hearted.  The clearances are tight- very tight and it was a bit of a fight to get the body to go back over the chassis- it needs to be absolutely square. 

Taking it to the club this morning to run it in (there is a better chance of getting track time with a DCC fitted loco which can share a line on the layout than with an analogue loco which needs a track to itself) it needed a lot more than the 15 minutes stated on the instruction leaflet to run it in.  It took a Dapol/DJM amount of time- nearer 60 minutes than 15.

The result is a sweet running and very attractive loco which handles the industrial trackwork on No Place very well, though it isn't that fond of the dead frogs here and there.  Now renamed KILDALE as those were the most appropriate plates of the black industrial ones I have in stock.  It will be in use at the L&YDCC show in Manchester next month.

Will I buy another one.  Definitely yes in a few weeks once the initial rush has gone.  HOWEVER I will get Hattons to chip it for me.

post-13358-0-07590300-1523996170_thumb.jpgpost-13358-0-71543300-1523996184_thumb.jpg

Pics show before and after renaming.  I've changed the front coupling to a wide loop as this works best with the system I use on No Place.

Les

Edited by Les1952
  • Like 3