Andrew Barclay 14" & 16" 0-4-0ST in OO Gauge

Hattons Dave

• RMweb Gold

Central back sheet windows were yet another "off the shelf" option from Barclays.

p2700928530-4.jpg

This is very disappointing.

The least the cameraman could have done, would have been to have pointed the camera so that the RCTS markings were properly on the tank side.

The least the cameraman could have done, would have been to have pointed the camera so that the RCTS markings were properly on the tank side.

Ah, but I think in this instance our intrepid photographer was more concerned with capturing (for posterity) the NEM coupling pocket.

P

My Coronation came today, I'm really impressed and can't wait to photograph it with the Hornby peckett I have on pre order.

attachicon.gifDSCF4295.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCF4296.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCF4298.JPG

Gosh Coronation does look nice, would have liked it, but the bank balance has taken a bit of a beating of late & really I'd have preferred an opened back cab - I must be strong

Hattons current best sellers list shows the NCB No6 to be the best selling one; outranking the 'P' Bluebell, then Katie and surprisingly IMO BR Black 705 (being bought to repaint?). Further down the list is NCB No10 outselling a pair of 'P's (SR A325 and BR early emblem 31027) and then just currently seeking into the top 20 GWR No 705. The CR one is currently out of stock.

Yes, the Caley one vanished very quickly. Otherwise I think you're probably right. I bought the Burnley one because it was the closest match to an Aberdeen one and found that the factory applied lettering came off remarkably easily, so it may well be the case that others are doing the same and picking their models not for their current identities but for the ease of cleaning up to be something else including the perennial favourite A. N. Other 

Yes, the Caley one vanished very quickly. Otherwise I think you're probably right. I bought the Burnley one because it was the closest match to an Aberdeen one and found that the factory applied lettering came off remarkably easily, so it may well be the case that others are doing the same and picking their models not for their current identities but for the ease of cleaning up to be something else including the perennial favourite A. N. Other 

Yes the Caley version was sold  out by last Wednesday . 5 days by my reckoning probably  all to pre orders, mine arrived early on Saturday morning :locomotive:

“Coronation” arrived safely today with much credit again given to Hattons for good packing. Un-boxed uneventfully. Took her for a test drive on the rollers and was much pleased.

Cheers,

David

Collected my pair from the post office, so here's a totally unnecessary phot of them on my shunting plank

Everyone has raved about Katie [and her buffers] but that Little Barford seems to get around as well

I'm particularly pleased with my CPC example. Not really much to fault except for the glazing bar across the back of the cab. Plenty of weigvht to this model, and I got it running pretty well after adjusting the pickup wipers on the backs of the wheels and around an hour of running in. 

• Like 1

So, modified to P4 for this weekend David ?.

Alan

I wish. No, the P class has first priority and is actually getting close (having said that, I was touching wood as I typed so as to ward off evil spirits). The Barclay is going to have to wait for a chassis which is, hopefully, under development as we speak.

Cheers,

David

I was waiting for my AB's to turn up Friday last and decided to heed Jenny K's advice given earlier up the thread so rather that doing my usual business I forewent my early sit on the throne and made do with a quick jump in the shower.

There I was working up a good lather, and musing over how I'd read about folk having difficulty unpacking their Barks, struggling to fit decoders and that maybe those unboxing videos weren't such a bad idea after all, when there comes a knocking on the door. "Oh dearie me", I thought to myself. Yes it was the postie but unlike James M. Cain would have us believe, my postie only ever knocks once.

Shouting through my open bathroom window, postie communication was established and confirmation of no signature required to complete delivery. "Drop the parcel in my (recently emptied) blue top bin" I requested. "Nee botha" came the reply. A few seconds later despite the bin being some fifteen yards distant, around a right angle bend, with me being upstairs and having my lug holes filled with the suds of Imperial Leather, the sound of a dull thud confirmed the postie had successfully completed his task.

Now I'm something of a forgetful type so a few hours later whilst sitting in a hospital waiting room, I remembered the events of the morning, thought to myself, I must  retrieve that parcel from my (recently emptied) bin and then maybe have a go at recording one of those unboxing videos. Now it's fair to say that I'm not a fan of unboxing vids In fact I hate the bl**dy things but for some inextricable reason, maybe something akin to a moth having a death with to singe itself in a flame?  I just had to have a go. It's my attempt to crash and burn. Well all went well until the very end of the recording. If you can stick watching the vid to the very end you will hear a dull thud. The result of me forgetting to fit a buffer stop. Crashed but not burnt!

That was the second dull thud I'd heard that day. It was the sound of the very end of Katie's second flying lesson of the day. A sudden loss of altitude of approximately four feet which was about two feet less than her (and Kevin's) earlier flight but this time without the benefit of Hattons copious airbags.

Amazingly Katie suffered no ill effects whatsoever, although it could explain why she is a full scale nine inches shorter than what a prototype 16 inch Barclay is.

P

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 1

Amazingly Katie suffered no ill effects whatsoever, although it could explain why she is a full scale nine inches shorter than what a prototype 16 inch Barclay is.

P

Something that given the usual propensity of RmWeb, I'm amazed no one else has spotted. Now its been raised how do these models compare to a drawing. I don't have one, but a friend tells me the 16 inch version has a 22mm WB (5' 6") rather than the correct 24mm (6' 0"). (22mm is correct for a 14 inch engine).

Edited by JeremyC

• RMweb Gold

Something that given the usual propensity of RmWeb, I'm amazed no one else has spotted. Now its been raised how do these models compare to a drawing. I don't have one, but a friend tells me the 16 inch version has a 22mm WB (5' 6") rather than the correct 24mm (6' 0"). (22mm is correct for a 14 inch engine).

Oh it's there if you read back through ;)

Indeed - the wheelbase discrepancy was picked up pages ago. The 16", as supplied by Hatton's is basically a reasonably accurate model of a 14" with bigger cylinders and a longer footplate. What it is not is an accurate scale model of a 16" 0-4-0 Barclay. That may or may not bother you, but that is what it is.

Adam

I know as I was one of those who flagged up the possibility of the WB being wrong on the 16" models, but it's only now the model has been issued we know for certain what the errors are.

I was very keen to get the NCB No6 version as I photographed the prototype at Kinneil colliery in the 1970s, unfortunately the wheelbase error is more that I want to accept, but that is my choice.

Edited by JeremyC

I know as I was one of those who flagged up the possibility of the WB being wrong on the 16" models, but it's only now the model has been issued we know for certain what the errors are.

I was very keen to get the NCB No6 version as I photographed the prototype at Kinneil colliery in the 1970s, unfortunately the wheelbase error is more that I want to accept, but that is my choice.

If you're after a 16", the wheelbase is the least of your concerns: it's short over frames, tank and footplate. The tank should be wider, the boiler bigger and so on. If it's a 14" you're after then it's not at all bad. That was a design/production decision which, it seems, most are content with. I'm not, especially, but that's my problem: I can do the work necessary to make my compromised 14" tank into a proper 14" tank on a new EM chassis in time.

Adam

I was waiting for my AB's to turn up Friday last and decided to heed Jenny K's advice given earlier up the thread so rather that doing my usual business I forewent my early sit on the throne and made do with a quick jump in the shower.

There I was working up a good lather, and musing over how I'd read about folk having difficulty unpacking their Barks, struggling to fit decoders and that maybe those unboxing videos weren't such a bad idea after all, when there comes a knocking on the door. "Oh dearie me", I thought to myself. Yes it was the postie but unlike James M. Cain would have us believe, my postie only ever knocks once.

Shouting through my open bathroom window, postie communication was established and confirmation of no signature required to complete delivery. "Drop the parcel in my (recently emptied) blue top bin" I requested. "Nee botha" came the reply. A few seconds later despite the bin being some fifteen yards distant, around a right angle bend, with me being upstairs and having my lug holes filled with the suds of Imperial Leather, the sound of a dull thud confirmed the postie had successfully completed his task.

Now I'm something of a forgetful type so a few hours later whilst sitting in a hospital waiting room, I remembered the events of the morning, thought to myself, I must  retrieve that parcel from my (recently emptied) bin and then maybe have a go at recording one of those unboxing videos. Now it's fair to say that I'm not a fan of unboxing vids In fact I hate the bl**dy things but for some inextricable reason, maybe something akin to a moth having a death with to singe itself in a flame?  I just had to have a go. It's my attempt to crash and burn. Well all went well until the very end of the recording. If you can stick watching the vid to the very end you will hear a dull thud. The result of me forgetting to fit a buffer stop. Crashed but not burnt!

That was the second dull thud I'd heard that day. It was the sound of the very end of Katie's second flying lesson of the day. A sudden loss of altitude of approximately four feet which was about two feet less than her (and Kevin's) earlier flight but this time without the benefit of Hattons copious airbags.

P

c'mon ......... we want to see the bit where you un-box it from the ( recently emptied ) blue top bin !  - though it might have been more interesting if you'd forgotten it was there for a few days and it had become a ( recently filling-up again ) blue top bin !

I'm particularly pleased with my CPC example. Not really much to fault except for the glazing bar across the back of the cab. Plenty of weigvht to this model, and I got it running pretty well after adjusting the pickup wipers on the backs of the wheels and around an hour of running in. 

I found that if you push the end of a screwdriver on the glazing it pushes in and falls off quite easily. I replaced it on mine with some glue n glaze.

Indeed - the wheelbase discrepancy was picked up pages ago. The 16", as supplied by Hatton's is basically a reasonably accurate model of a 14" with bigger cylinders and a longer footplate. What it is not is an accurate scale model of a 16" 0-4-0 Barclay. That may or may not bother you, but that is what it is.

Adam

It doesn't bother me. Aberdeen Gas Works No.3 is [for she still lives] a 12" and wheelbase issues are the least of my worries, but I now at long last have a blue Barclay with enough of the right details to look convincing when hauling those Hornby wagons - or at least it will do once I get the side-skirts on. No the model will never be perfect, after all it has an electric motor rather than a steam engine in its belly, but its far better than anything we had before and I can live with what really are minor imperfections

Edited by Caledonian

I wish. No, the P class has first priority and is actually getting close (having said that, I was touching wood as I typed so as to ward off evil spirits). The Barclay is going to have to wait for a chassis which is, hopefully, under development as we speak.

Cheers,

David

Be grateful for a post on how you did the P class