Andrew Barclay 14" & 16" 0-4-0ST in OO Gauge

Hattons Dave

• RMweb Gold

After returning the second Andrew I’m still undecided if I should order another

Despite the few issues I’ve experienced with the ones I’ve had to return it’s a great little loco

Decisions, decisions

UPDATE

I’ve given in and ordered another, fingers crossed this one will be both mechanically and cosmetically sound

Third time lucky.....hopefully

Edited by chuffinghell

Can anyone tell me what size the hexagonal screws that hold the con rods on are? They are smaller than 12BA Hornby size, one needs securing with some loctite but I need a correct size spanner if such a thing exists .

Thanks

• RMweb Gold

What decoders do people use in these locomotives? I tried a Zen 6-pin direct, bit it's too big for the allocated space, which is strange because they fit into the P class very well.

What decoders do people use in these locomotives? I tried a Zen 6-pin direct, bit it's too big for the allocated space, which is strange because they fit into the P class very well.

I believe some are using the gaugemaster dc23

Have fitted decoders to two of them 1 with a Gaugemaster  DC23 and 1 with a Hattons 6 pin both of which went into the recess in the chassis block, you may have to ease the wires a little out of the way whilst fitting it .

I used CT Elektronik DCX75z 6-pin decoders - plenty of room for these.

Have fitted decoders to two of them 1 with a Gaugemaster  DC23 and 1 with a Hattons 6 pin both of which went into the recess in the chassis block, you may have to ease the wires a little out of the way whilst fitting it .

I had a note from Hattons prior to mine being delivered to say there was a small delay as the intended Hattons decoder didn't fit and they needed me to "upgrade" to another decoder. As they were fitting it I just agreed and paid the extra couple of quid and am a happy bunny. This was back in May when they had first arrived in the country.  

• RMweb Gold

I had a note from Hattons prior to mine being delivered to say there was a small delay as the intended Hattons decoder didn't fit and they needed me to "upgrade" to another decoder. As they were fitting it I just agreed and paid the extra couple of quid and am a happy bunny. This was back in May when they had first arrived in the country.

I did wonder why they recommend the gaugemaster decoder and not their own so many thanks for that

• RMweb Gold

Thank you to everyone who replied to my post. I decided to buy a Lenz Silver Mini+, and I installed it today in my loco; it only just fits, but it works very well. The top speed of the loco on my Lenz DCC system is 65 scale m.p.h., and 36 with F3 (shunting speed) switched on.

• Like 1

Third time lucky

Awwww isn’t she teeny tiny

Glad you finally got a good 'un, chuffinghell. :)

I found both of mine to be good runners right from the start, although one was a bit tighter than the other fresh out of the box. Some continuous running has helped.

I have also recently received a Dapol B4 and a Heljan 07, and both have shown very slight tight spots at one point in each of their wheel revolutions; not enough to say they need to go back, and only evident at dead slow speeds (and I mean dead slow on DCC, which usually gives finer control than straight analogue DC). I am giving these two long continuous runs facing in both directions, so we'll see how they fare in the future. Both run perfectly well at the more usual 'service' speeds.

• RMweb Gold

Glad you finally got a good 'un, chuffinghell. :)

I found both of mine to be good runners right from the start, although one was a bit tighter than the other fresh out of the box. Some continuous running has helped.

I do feel sorry for Hatton’s having to deal with a fussy customer such as myself

I do feel sorry for Hatton’s having to deal with a fussy customer such as myself

And why shouldn't you be fussy buddy??? If we accept items that are sub-standard, the manufacturer/distributor will think all is well and not bother with Q/C checks.

I'm happy to pay the going rate for quality models. After all, it's not as if their being given away of late !

Edited by Black 5 Bear

• RMweb Gold

Well, they are trained professionals and there is such a thing as the Sale of Goods Act.

And why shouldn't you be fussy buddy??? If we accept items that are sub-standard, the manufacturer/distributor will think all is well and not bother with Q/C checks.

I'm happy to pay the going rate for quality models. After all, it's not as if their being given away of late !

Very true

I just wouldn't accept a cup of tea from them if you ever visit....

;)

Jason

That bad?

Agreeing with several of the previous posts, if a product is not up to scratch, for whatever reasons, you are entitled to ask for a fix, a replacement, or a refund. Hatton's have always been excellent in this respect, with no quibbling or complaints from them. As Captain Kernow said, they are professionals and well versed in customer relations. I have nothing but praise for Hatton's and their staff. Sure, they can make mistakes too, they are human, but aren't we all? :)

Edited by SRman
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

27882264147_73590b8b16_c.jpg

I asked The Model Centre to rename and weather my NCB green loco - and now I appear to be planning a small layout based on the Earl of Dudley's Railway.

Looks fantastic!

I wasn't going to have any of my loco's weathered but after seeing this I've ordered 4mm scale numberplates from Narrow Planet and once they arrive mine will be going to TMC for weathering too

Chris

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Unfortunately, possibly a break down in communication on my part, my replacement plates have arrived today from Narrow Planet and they appear to be the ‘oversized’ plates that cover the original instead of 4mm scale plates ordered.

I’m sure it’s my fault for not being specific about my intention of removing the original printed on number plates and replacing them with ‘to scale’ plates

Oh well sometimes sh* t happens

On a positive note the quality of their plates is fantastic

Chris

• RMweb Gold

Does the real (fake) 705 have correct sized numberplates though, comparing photos of it with 813 is does seem to be there is a greater spacing between the sides of the number and the edge of the numberplate on 705 whereas given the numerals involved you would expect that to be more likely on 813

Does this help at all?

post-34603-0-83266200-1531663083.jpeg

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 3

Looks fantastic!

I wasn't going to have any of my loco's weathered but after seeing this I've ordered 4mm scale numberplates from Narrow Planet and once they arrive mine will be going to TMC for weathering too

Chris

You might like to try "Grimy Times" in Warrington. I've had a few locos weathered by Steve Johnson, the results of which are absolutely superb. He recently featured in a BRM weathering guide a few months back.

Good pricing, excellent customer service.

All steam locos are upgraded free of charge with real coal.

Have a look on their website as there is a gallery of weathered model for sale.

Edited by Black 5 Bear
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

You might like to try "Grimy Times" in Warrington. I've had a few locos weathered by Steve Johnson, the results of which are absolutely superb. He recently featured in a BRM weathering guide a few months back.

Good pricing, excellent customer service.

All steam locos are upgraded free of charge with real coal.

Have a look on their website as there is a gallery of weathered model for sale.

Thanks for that, it’s worth knowing

I’ve replaced the handrails on mine but I’m hoping a bit weathering will tone them down a bit

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/135712-andrew-barclay-replacement-handrails/

Chris

• Like 1

My pair are now beginning to look less like fairground engines and more like workers, Name and worksplates are from Narrow Planet

Very nice job there, Sir. I don't know why so many people seem to be afraid of weathering.

• Like 1