Andrew Barclay 14" & 16" 0-4-0ST in OO Gauge

Hattons Dave

• 3 months later...

Can any one share a successful method of removing the markings off these? I tried my normal product, which works fine on Hornby and Bachmann,  but it took the paint straight off, luckily I had tried it first on an outside cylinder, which I will be repainting black anyway.

Regards 

Neil

Edited by neilkirby
Typo

I have the GWR 705 and I thought the shirtbutton looked overscale and a tad ridiculous. I used a tiny bit of T-Cut and lots of elbow grease using a cotton bud and water and they came off fine with no sheen to report where I had rubbed. I applied new Great Western decals and renumbered as Swansea Harbour 701. 

Am am away at present so can’t post a photo.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 11/10/2019 at 11:04, 49395 said:

Does anyone know of a scale drawing of the earlier pattern cab for one of these locos?

Like this:

https://ribblesteam.org.uk/exhibits/steam/andrew-barclay-1598-1918-efficient/

Cheers

Mike

I wouldn't bother with a drawing and would just make them to look right. After all, no one's going to be running a caliper over your model. How are you going to alter the profile of the frames to match the older style of cab?

• 1 month later...

Some good tips here gents, helped by the photos as a visual aid. Can anyone point me in  the right direction though, to a thread I was on last night, started by Swindon 123, but included comments from Chuffinghell and ACJT about modelling Scottish distilleries  (particularly Aberfeldy) featuring Barclays shunters? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/11/2019 at 13:02, MacDuff999 said:

Some good tips here gents, helped by the photos as a visual aid. Can anyone point me in  the right direction though, to a thread I was on last night, started by Swindon 123, but included comments from Chuffinghell and ACJT about modelling Scottish distilleries  (particularly Aberfeldy) featuring Barclays shunters? 

This thread?

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm wondering if these haven't sold quite as well as Hattons were hoping as it's now two years since they were first released and they still have plenty of stock of all of the versions apart from the CPC one, which is ironic as I thought that would be the one that would be the least popular.

17 hours ago, montyburns56 said:

I'm wondering if these haven't sold quite as well as Hattons were hoping as it's now two years since they were first released and they still have plenty of stock of all of the versions apart from the CPC one, which is ironic as I thought that would be the one that would be the least popular.

While these engines are undoubtedly stunning examples of what can now be achieved in OO, I felt that none of them appealed to me as a pre-nationalisation modeller. One quasi-accurate GWR option wasn’t going to appeal to everyone, so when half the engines belonged to nationalised industries they were doomed to gain many admirers and fewer buyers. Hornby’s model of releasing 3-4 per year might have helped create a sense of urgency in buyers rather than flooding the market in one go.

• Agree 2

18 hours ago, montyburns56 said:

I seem to recall that when these and the P Class were announced, Hatton’s said that the intention was to make enough to have stock to sell for some time rather than have them all sell out early on. A very welcome idea.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, montyburns56 said:

Depends how many they made of each one.

• RMweb Premium
On 16/01/2020 at 08:59, Mad McCann said:

Some decent weathering and a crew brings these lovely wee models to life.

I really do need a scenic piece to show them off on though.

Davy.

032E601D-CB99-4F07-BDAA-6E77EBE705EB.jpeg

E8A4DDCA-C38B-4976-9A25-371BD5AF435B.jpeg

3B32026C-3536-402B-9B6D-878D836AA5E4.jpeg

0A155FB0-F486-4EAE-AC3A-1295D9B42BEA.jpeg

Hi,

Just saw this post for the first time.  These are great, and remind me of how Coal Board locos and stock looked at Bedlay and Cardowan when I was in my teens.

Regards,

Alex.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 13/09/2017 at 09:03, Phil Parker said:

As Hattons have said, these models will be on the shelves for some time. 

As Phil mentions Hattons have said these were intended to be stock items not just wait for batches. Just because most manufacturers are better suited to batches doesn’t mean a shop based one thinks the same policy is right for them. Hattons has the warehousing so can easily accommodate it and have their own ‘starter’ loco available at all times. Different business models, that’s all ;) 

• Agree 1