Andrew Barclay 14" & 16" 0-4-0ST in OO Gauge

Hattons Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Given the partial shutdown of Chinese manufacturing due to the virus issue then Hatton decision to stock up in bulk would appear to be a good one. I suspect we will be seeing delays in newly announced models as the supply chain starts to dry up.

David

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So, I've had a few PM's and requests from "other places" how I strip down Hattons AB. I'll put this here then give people the link to as to save me the bother of replying individually.

One thing folk seem to be having difficulty with is how to separate the cab & smokebox from the Saddle tank/firebox assembly.

It follows the normal convention for RTR steam locos where the cab is a separate moulding, E.g. Bachmanns 9F.  It's pretty simple on the AB considering Hatton's manufacturers have not used any adhesive. (Thanks Hatton's)

First up the cab.

After releasing the body/tank assembly from the running plate, pull the bottom of the cab moulding outwards to release the tabs at about its mid-rift area  (Arrowed on the photograph), This should release the tabs from their corresponding slots in the  tank/firebox moulding. The cab can then be slipped upwards and out of its location groove.

1249608211_AB-MedallingPwD-151-EditSm.jpg.96d3a6c9275884761735042648b13d35.jpg

Smokebox door/smokebox is released in the same way. The tabs are on the bottom/front of the saddle tank so it's the tank that needs easing apart allowing the smokebox assembly to be pushed out towards the bottom of the tank. 

1223387183_AB-MedallingPwD-142-EditSm.jpg.1165ed8ee2a08da8ebd38a8b68e6f2e0.jpg

Is that any help, Dave?

P

• Informative/Useful 5

Hi All

I've just Purchased a BCPD No1 and looking to fit it with DCC, Hattons suggest a Gaugemaster DCC23 6pin Ruby but these seem hard to get.

Can anyone advise of another decent decoder that fits? Does a Zimo MX617N fit?

Thanks

Mark 

Edited by Markmiller2008

2 hours ago, Kaput said:

Zimo MX616N fits perfectly. Might be a challenge to find a 621N as they aren't in production any longer and I believe the 617 is a tad too big.

Oh . I've just bought a 617 to fit in mine. I've got no chance of fitting sound to it, so thought I'd just have an ordinary decoder in it.

It fits but it doesn't work. I wonder if I've put in in the wrong way around? If it's in the wrong way around, does it siply not work, or does it go up in smoke?

1 hour ago, Ruston said:

It fits but it doesn't work. I wonder if I've put in in the wrong way around? If it's in the wrong way around, does it siply not work, or does it go up in smoke?

You did identify the no.1 pin correctly before insertion.

Back to the 2018 pic:  AB-Medalling©PwD-008-EditSM.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Porcy Mane said:

You did identify the no.1 pin correctly before insertion.

Back to the 2018 pic: 

Thanks. I read the instructions and it did mention something about a No.1 pin but I looked  and couldnt find anything that had a number on it.

I put it in the other way around and it ran, so I have tried to reprogram the address. I don't know what I've done but I've made a proper mess of it. When I put it on the program track and read the address it shows it as 0. I can't select a loco 0 on the controller and so it won't run at all now. Even if I knew how to set the address I can't select the loco that I want to change because it doesn't exist in the list anymore.

I'm using a PIKO Smart Control Lite and I've got the instruction book and although it's written in English, I don't understand a bloody word of it.

It's twisting my melon, man.

I've got it going again! I have no idea how I did it though. I was going to try and change the cv's to alter the acceleration/deceleration but I think I ought to quit whilst I'm ahead.

• 1 month later...

I may have missed it, as I have not read all 55 pages, but has anyone up-graded the chassis on one of these yet?  I’m thinking about finer-scale wheels and probably metal valve gear. If so, would I be right in assuming replacement wheels would need readily available 3mm axles? Also, How much of a problem would it be to remove the smoke box number plate from the pseudo GWR version? 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...